Sleepless Night

Connected Through Harmony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Sighs have pressed down on me,

so I can’t fall asleep

My empty heart says I’m a fool,

“Why can’t you cry if you’re in so much pain”

I break down at the sight of you

letting the memories of loving me go one by one


Sleep didn’t come quickly to Jinki and Jonghyun unlike Kibum and Minho or everyone else in the Kingdom. Jinki lay with his eyes shut but sleep was just outside of his grasp, Jonghyun didn’t even bother chasing it and stared at the wall, counting the little details in boredom.


The argument left a bitter taste in his mouth and the aftermath was horrible as ever, every muscle in his body was screaming to flip around and snuggle up to Jinki but his mind forbade it. Sleep didn’t come to him and even if it did, the nightmares were probably waiting for him on the other side.

The only thing going through his mind was how to prove Jinki wrong, how to show him that he could take care of himself, and was strong physically and mentally. There should be a way to make Jinki see he wasn’t weak.

Jonghyun looked towards the open window and to the dark sky, guessing it was in the middle of the night...he had a plan and it involved General Chanyeol so he had to hurry up and get out of bed.

Was Jinki asleep? He hoped so but he still carefully slithered out of bed and tiptoed over to his clothing. He froze and held his breath as Jinki groaned, shuffling around before letting out a deep sigh. When it was completely quiet, Jonghyun moved again, quickly throwing clothes on and shoes.

Sneaking over to the door, Jonghyun peeked over his shoulder at Jinki and let out a sigh of relief before leaving. Jinki heard everything from the moment a weight left the bed to the rustling of clothes and Jonghyun standing by the door. Worry attacked his heart-strings but he waited a few minutes before getting out of bed to investigate.

By the time he stepped out into the living area, Jonghyun was gone and Joon stood near the door confused as ever. Having been ordered to guard their chamber, he didn’t expect anyone to leave around this hour.

‘’Where is he?’’ Jinki demanded, panic settling in at the notion that Jonghyun might be wandering the halls alone. Joon looked up with a startling expression and opened his mouth to explain. ‘’...He left with General Chanyeol, your Highness.’’

 

 

Flashback


Joon was utterly bored but kept his attention on every crack, shadow, or whatever noise around the room. Folding his arms, he leaned against the wall next to the door, just done with patrolling around the chamber which consisted out of the living area, the kitchen, and the balcony and a small peek into the bedroom.

He was glad that he was bored, that meant that nothing horrible was happening, and not a second later he wished he never thought anything as a shadow loomed near the bedroom door and footsteps lightly sneaked closer.

Joon narrowed his eyes in concentration as he withdrew his sword and hid behind a wall. He held his breath as a dark figure passed him and went for the door, if it wasn’t for a brief flash of whitish-yellow hair and the short stature, he would have pressed the sword against the figures back.

‘’Sir?’’ He uttered just as Jonghyun jumped while muffling a shriek. ‘’F-for Valmerys sake J-Joon, don’t scare me like that!’’


‘’Then why are you out of bed?’’ Joon sternly cut him off, putting his sword back where it belonged. A huff left the blond’s lips and he crossed his arms, ‘’Why is everybody so on my freaking case?’’ He snapped.


Joon shrugged, ‘’Well...normally people sleep around this hour.’’ He saw the other grumble and look away, ‘’...Just back off.’’ Jonghyun replied as he left for the door and opened it before Joon could stop him.

Jonghyun stepped out into the hall, looking left and right as if searching for someone until his face lit up, just as he expected, Chanyeol came around the corner, patrolling the royal corridor at the same time as he did yesterday.


‘’Hey you!’’ He hissed, stomping his feet when Chanyeol didn’t hear him. ‘’Oi!’’ his voice got louder every time the General didn’t hear him until he was like 10 feet away and Jonghyun was yelling.

The elf frowned, rolling his eyes as the blond waved at him happily then eagerly gestured for him to come over, Chanyeol strutted to him with a sigh. ‘’What do you want Nogoth?’’


Jonghyun glanced up beneath his bangs, brown orbs fierce and going from eager to serious in second ago. ‘’Teach me how to fight…’’ He began, ‘’Give me everything you have...’’


Raising an eyebrow, Chanyeol worked a chuckle away with a cough, ‘’Alright...and why couldn’t you come to me at a normal time?’’ Jonghyun just stared at him in silence, not caring to explain anything.


Chanyeol stared back just as stubborn but in the end gave up, he didn’t have time for staring contests. ‘’This is the last time I waste my time on you...come.’’ He turned and gestured for several other guards to continue the patrol. Jonghyun’s eyes lit up and he gleefully bounced after the General, leaving Joon behind and scratching his head in confusion.
 


End flashback

 

 

Jinki shoulders dropped, nodding as Joon finished explaining and plopped down in a chair. ‘’At least he’s with Chanyeol.’’ his tone was laced with relief. Tilting his head, Joon closed the door just to be safe, ‘’Want me to follow them Sir or get Kai and Donghae?’’

The Brunette shook his head, resting his chin on the palm of his hand, ‘’No, I trust Chanyeol to keep him safe.’’ Maybe it was a good thing to give Jonghyun space and have them both figure out what to do, Jonghyun was trying to prove something and Jinki would in no way shape or form stop him.

‘’What are you going to do, your Highness?’’

Jinki chuckled, exhausted eyes landing on him. ‘’Nothing...trying to get back to sleep.’’ Joon nodded, offering him a polite smile that the Crown Prince weakly returned.

‘’However, I suppose this is gonna be one of those sleepless nights.’’


I can’t leave you, who I treasured more than myself

Come back to me tonight

I can’t, the beautiful days,

Even the times we hated each other

I miss so much, it’s unforgettable

Come back to me

 

 

 

By the time Jinki crawled out of bed again, it was nearly noon and he hadn’t been able to sleep. He lay awake most of the time, staring at the ceiling and just existing. He dragged his feet across the floor, supporting bags beneath his eyes and a downturned smile on his lips.

He noticed that Jonghyun wasn’t back in bed or anywhere in the chamber, Jinki hoped they were alright again by the end of the day but for now he had to get ready and see Jessica.

Jonghyun, on the other hand, felt like his body was on fire, and sweat was trickling down his face. When he asked Chanyeol to give him everything he had, the man had taken him extremely seriously, starting with how to handle a sword, jogging around the field to build up stamina, practicing the bow like the day before, and lastly hand to hand combat.

The sun was beaming on his sore body but shockingly he felt good despite being coated in sweat and exhaustion, but he wouldn't stop until he beat the anger out. Their tunics were off, showing their bare chests, his lean muscles didn’t beat the impressive guns Chanyeol was supporting.

The blond felt anything but a wuss or a damsel in distress as several maids stood by the open door giggling and squealing at the hotness and to his surprise, the younger princess Krystal and the apprentice Merel, appeared out of nowhere to admire them.

It didn’t bother Jonghyun as he had finally something to show off, it used to be his voice but he couldn’t remember the last time he sang.

Chanyeol introduced how to defend with his hands if his weapons were out of reach then how to attack and everything in between, by the end of the training he had bruises on his cheek, shoulders, and several on his chest and abs but his grin was as big as a half-moon!

The maids and Krystal were making a ruckus as he turned to them, brushing his bangs away with a lopsided beautiful smirk and winked as he gave them a peace sign. One maid had to catch the other as she fainted and others grabbed a fan to cool themselves down, whereas Merel snickered in amusement.


‘’You have a way with the ladies Mellon Nin.’’ The General chuckled at the silly view. Jonghyun grinned, enjoying his newfound ability which wasn’t magic-related thank you very much! ‘’I never had the time to flirt, dive into romance or explore my types when I lived in the Orphanage…’’ He said, watching Chanyeol as he tilted his head in wonder, not aware of Jonghyun’s past.


Jonghyun opened his mouth with an affectionate expression, ‘’But I also never saw reason to, u-until I met J-jinki.’’ He stammered towards the end, his heart fluttering as he thought how Jinki came for him and held him in a tight embrace or how they kissed for the first time in the flowery fields during the Banquet and how much fun flirting was with Jinki. 

The serious demeanor of the General softened, every kingdom had gotten news about the Crown Prince of Valmerys seeking the mysterious singer who he had fallen in love with. ‘’Love at first sight isn’t it?’’ He nudged Jonghyun playfully.

The smaller man laughed and pushed him back, ‘’Mmm yes,” He agreed, burying his smile in the fabric of a towel which he got from a stone nearby. ‘’For the both of us…’’ Jonghyun admitted, then glanced over his shoulder at Krystal who was guiding the maids and Merel back inside.


‘’That reminds me…’’ He began, hesitating as he wiped the sweat from his forehead with the towel. ‘’Is it just me or do Jinki and Jessica have a past?’’


Chanyeol blinked, pulling his attention from putting the weapons away. ‘’I’m sorry...it’s not my place to tell you.’’ He said firmly. Jonghyun stared at him in suspicion and shook his head...it had been worth a try but maybe the Elf General wasn’t the right person to ask it to...

Despite his suspicion, Jonghyun chuckled, ‘’It’s fine, I don’t want you to get castrated for gossiping.’’ He joked while trying to push the hint of curiosity and nerves back down.
 

I hate myself for sayi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter