8% Wanderlust

30% Battery Life

Zelo walked around the school, taking in all of the details of the large structures around him. The pavement under his feet was covered in cracks and scratches from the years of wear and tear caused by students and teachers alike. He stepped over a few small pebbles. He had long but stopped examining each rock and classifying their type. The task had grown too tedious for him after the hundredth sedimentary rock he found.

After the girl had left, Zelo had awoken. The sound of the door closing behind her had nudged him awake from his charge. His battery was full at 100%, but he had nothing to do. His energy was being wasted with simply sitting on her bedroom floor. At first he had amused himself with trying to calculate the kinds of germs and bacteria possibly festering in her ransacked room. Her floor had clothes, old homework, stuffed animals, empty packages of food, and hair accessories littering all around it. It was like the perfect breeding ground for diseases.

Growing bored, the living doll finally left his spot, careful not to disturb B.A.P who was still shut off temporarily as it charged. He wondered where Yong Guk’s girlfriend had left to. He estimated she was gone for almost four hours already. He paced around waiting for her return, counting down the seconds.

The house was otherwise empty aside from all the electronics. No sounds came from the home, except for Zelo’s nimble footsteps. Zelo had discarded Yong Guk’s black jacket off of his body, and only adorned a white baggy shirt on his torso. Perhaps, if Yong Guk had designed Zelo’s appearance to be more muscular or masculine, like himself, the weight of the shirt wouldn’t have looked so large on him.

As Zelo walked around her obstacle course of a room he stepped on an empty bag of chips she had carelessly left. The bag reminded Zelo of all the goodies his noona had left in the kitchen. Deciding it was an appropriate time to learn about human food some more he made his way to the tiled room of the kitchen. He had recorded that the girl had placed all non-refrigerated items in the cupboards. He reached for one out of the five large bags of crisps and returned to the room.

He settled himself onto her cushiony bed, the mattress sinking lightly under his heavy weight. He tore the bag open, the sound of the seal breaking quite pleasant. All the air in the bag left and the thick scent of cheese hit him. He scrunched his nose from the overwhelming smell, but found that he kind of liked it. His hand grabbed one of the large ones, a bit of the flavor coating sticking to his fingers. He stuffed the fried potato slice in his mouth and let the flavors dance on his tongue. The taste was definitely different from the sour cream and onion flavor. Whether if it was better or not, he couldn’t say. The two were on a whole different spectrum, he couldn’t compare.

He continued to joyfully munch on the junk food until the obnoxious ringing of an alarm clock hit his ear drums. Zelo blinked, wondering where the sound was coming from. He wiped his cheesy fingers onto his jeans and placed the bag on the floor. He crawled over her bed, searching for the source. Eventually, he found it under a heavy layer of blankets.

Zelo stared at the primitive clock.

How on Earth did it shut off? This early piece of human technology confused him to no end.

“Stop.” he commanded the clock.

It did not respond to him.

“Cease and desist.” It continued to ring.

“Halt.” Ring. Ring. Ring.

Zelo poked at the glass covering the clock’s face. He flipped it over, looking for an off button. He pressed and fiddled with the clock with no reaction. Zelo tried to remove the plastic over where the batteries were held, but it wouldn’t pry open. Zelo shook the clock and it still didn’t open.

B.A.P had been awoken by the alarm and watched silently while Zelo struggled. B.A.P had thought Zelo would be smarter than it, but it seemed hard to believe when he couldn’t simply turn off an alarm. B.A.P was sure that Zelo was programmed with problem solving techniques, so he waited to see what the advanced A.I would come up with to stop the clock.

Four minutes passed and Zelo had made no progress.

B.A.P waited.

Six more minutes went by.

B.A.P waited.  

By the time another three minutes had passed, Zelo’s movements had paused, seeming like he had discovered the solution to his annoying problem.

B.A.P observed, waiting to see how smart Zelo was. B.A.P watched as the alarm was thrown against the wall and broke into shattered pieces of plastic. The ringing had finally come at a standstill. Well B.A.P couldn’t say it expected any less from one of Yong Guk’s fellow creations.

A smile erupted onto Zelo’s face from at last being set free from the horrible noise. However, a part of him did miss the ringing now that the room was completely silent again, and he was left with nothing to do.

“Hyung,” the blond called to B.A.P. The small robot was surprised that Zelo knew he was awake, as he was preoccupied with his clock earlier. “where’s noona?” he whined.

B.A.P, at his own pace, strolled over to one of the girl’s textbooks that was on the floor and pointed to it.

Zelo leaped off the bed and took the books in his hands. He flipped it open and found the address of the school inside. Zelo smiled, “Thank you, hyung.” He saluted B.A.P as he left through the door.

When he arrived to her school, it was certainly contrasting to his original idea of it. His eyes gazed over the halls of the establishment. The bright yellow lights giving his skin a yellowing effect. His footsteps echoed behind him as he roamed the school.

Besides the occasional staff member that passed by, the hall ways were left quite abandoned. Zelo probably should have asked B.A.P if it knew which classroom she was residing in.

As he walked around, he spotted another person with blond hair that looked young enough to be a student. The guy was entering through one of the doors with a fresh frappuccino in hand. The plastic cup it was contained in had what Zelo recognized, from his grocery shopping time, as the Starbucks logo.

“Excuse me, sir.” Zelo called out to his fellow blond. The stranger blinked and turned his attention to Zelo. “Hm?” he hummed, acknowledging he had heard Zelo.

“I’m searching for someone, can you please provide me with your services?” Zelo asked the male who raised an elegant eyebrow at Zelo’s odd speech pattern. He sounded like a boy who had swallowed an entire dictionary. The boy shrugged his shoulders and nodded, still not unlatching his lips from his green straw. He already ditched most of fifth period and had no desire of returning to the rest of it.

“Your help is much appreciated.” Zelo thanked him. “Let’s go track her down.”

Zelo and his new friend went on their hunt. The other blond still sipped on his delicious chocolate confection, slightly amused by Zelo. He didn’t bother to ask him for a description of the girl he was looking for, as this was more entertaining.