Chapter 8: The Park

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

"Youngjae, where are you?" Juyeon calls out from the hallway, looking for his son. 

"I'm in here Daddy!"

Juyeon follows the sound of his voice to his own room. 

"Look, I'm dressed up as you." Eric says, showing off the oversized blue shirt he is wearing.  

"Awww, you look just like me." Juyeon replies, picking Eric up and resting him on his lap. 

"Will you wear this outfit today? I'm wearing the same and I want us to match." 

"Sure. I see you did a great job cleaning your room."

"I love cleaning! I hate messes." 

Juyeon is shocked that a child this age would love to clean, but he is happy that his son likes to be organized and does not make big messes like most children his age would. 

"Well, Daddy is very proud and it looks like you are ready to go to the park right now. Give Daddy his clothes so he can get ready too." 

Eric hands over his father's clothes and goes downstairs to put on his socks and shoes. 

At the park, the first thing that Eric wants to do is go down the slide. He runs up the stairs and slides down just as fast. 

"Dad, did you see me? I went down so fast!" 

"Yeah, you were so fast I barely saw you." Juyeon replies. 

Eric then moves onto the monkey bars. His dad helps him up and watches him closely in case he loses his grip, since he does not go on the bars that often. When his arms do get tired, he asks Juyeon to push him on the swings next. 

"Daddy, can you please push me really high?"

"Alright, but hold on tight, okay?"

Eric nods. 

Juyeon pushes Eric very high, but not so high that he could fall or get hurt. Several minutes later, the swings slows to a stop. As soon as Eric gets off the swing, a dog runs up to him.

"Daddy, look a doggie!"

The collie Eric's face. 

"He likes me." Eric giggles. 

A man comes running over to the dog soon after. 

"I'm sorry, this dog just got away from me. He is very strong." The man says, picking up the dog's leash. 

Juyeon stands back up to look at the man. He is stunned by what his eyes meet. The man has milky skin, big brown eyes, jet black hair, and such a sweet smile. 

"It's okay." Juyeon eventually says, snapping out of his trance. 

"My son really likes dogs anyway."

"He can pet him if he likes."

Juyeon sits down next to Eric and tells him he his allowed to pet the dog. Eric pets the collie for a while and comments on how cute he is. 

"So, what is your dog's name?"

"Oh, his name Billy, but he isn't my dog."

"Well, what is your name?"

"Choi Chanhee. What about you?" The man answers.

"That's a pretty name. I'm Lee Juyeon."

Juyeon wants to keep talking to Chanhee, but his son interrupts. 

"Dad, can we play tag?"

"Of course. It was nice meeting you Chanhee, thank you for letting us pet the dog." 

"Thank you mister." Eric says. 

"You are both very welcome. Have a nice day." 

Juyeon just stares at Chanhee as he walks away, wishing he could still see him and talk to him. 

"Daddy, tag. Please?" Eric blurts out, tugging on Juyeon's sleeve. 

"Right. Sorry son."

A couple of days later, Juyeon is taking his lunch break in the same park when a familiar dog runs up to him. 

"Hey, aren't you-"

"Oh, hello again." Chanhee says, grabbing the dog's leash. 

"Hi, Chanhee."

"Hello, Juyeon." He smiles. 

"You have a lot of dogs with you this time." Juyeon notes, looking at the pack of five dogs. 

"Yeah, I'm a dog walker and today is a pretty busy day it seems. I guess you come here often, huh?"

"Yeah, it is close to home and where I work."

"Hey, I live around here too, in the apartment building around the corner." 

"Really? How come I haven't seen you around before? I'm sure I would remember seeing you." Juyeon says. 

"I moved here not too long ago. I've been here for less than a month."

"Oh. You know, I wouldn't mind showing you around town sometime. Maybe show you some restaurants and shops." Juyeon offers.

"Like a date?"

Juyeon is glad that Chanhee has caught on to his hints. He hasn't been on a date in years, so hopefully he isn't taking things too fast and Chanhee will be okay with a date. 

"If you're okay with that." Juyeon answers.

"I'd like that."

They exchange numbers before continuing to talk. 

When Juyeon returns to work, Jaehyun and Younghoon notice how happy he is. 

"What happened? Did you get a winning lottery ticket while you were out?"

"No, I met this cute guy at the park the other day and I saw him again today. We talked, I got his number, and we are going on a date next weekend." Juyeon explains.

"Whoa." Younghoon comments. 

"You're finally getting back out there again."

"Looks like Youngjae will have a second dad soon."

"Not that fast, we just met. I want to see how things go first." Juyeon responds.