Chapter 15: How To

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

Eric is a growing boy, and as a growing boy he hits certain milestones. The one that he is currently working on is learning how to ride a bike. He first got interested in doing this when he found out that Hyunjoon and Sunwoo could ride their bikes a week ago. He wanted to join their bike riding adventures, so he asked his father to teach him. The first thing they need to do is go out and buy a bike that does not have training wheels on it. 

"How about this one, Youngjae? It has puppies on it, you love puppies." 

"Daddy, I need a cool bike. One that will go really fast. How about that one?" Eric says, pointing to an adult bike. 

"Youngjae, that bike is for grown-ups. It is too big for you, you can ride one like that when you do know how to ride and you're a big boy."

"Okay, Daddy." 

They continue to walk through the store until Eric finds the one that stands out to him. 

"That one, Daddy! Can I get that bike?" Eric asks, pointing to a children's bike that has a spaceship on the basket in the front. 

"It has a spaceship, it has to be fast." Eric adds. 

"Okay, I will get this bike for you." 

A week later, it is time for Eric's first lesson. 

"Helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads. You are ready to get on the bike." Juyeon says, as he makes sure Eric's helmet is secure. 

"Let's go then!"

Eric hops on the bike, but Juyeon tells him to hold on.

"What's wrong, Daddy?"

"You have to let me hold onto you to make sure you start off with proper balance."

"Nuh-uh, Daddy. I'm a big boy, I can ride this bike all the way to the end of the driveway. Watch me." 

Eric begins to pedal, but falls down a few seconds later. That just shows Juyeon that he will have to be holding onto Eric for a while, he needs to make sure he doesn't fall again anytime soon. 

"See? Daddy has to hold onto you for now, just until you get used to riding on your own. Good thing you have on safety equipment."

Juyeon looks over Eric to make sure he doesn't have any cuts or bruises before helping him get back onto the bike and holding onto him. 

"Okay, now you start pedaling and I will hold onto you to make sure you don't fall."

Eric nods and starts pedaling. As he is pedaling, he thinks that he can manage on his own, so he asks his dad to let go. 

"Okay Daddy, let go now." Eric says.

"Not yet Youngjae, you still need to get the hang of it." 

"But I do have the hang of it." 

Juyeon would rather continue to hold on then let Eric fall again, so he continues to hold onto him until they make it to the end of the sidewalk. 

"That was fun, wasn't it?" Now let's turn the bike around and head back home."

"Can I pedal by myself this time?" Eric asks. 

"Not yet, it is still too soon. Daddy will hold onto you."

Eric wants to try pedaling by himself, but Juyeon will just not allow it. His bike riding lessons go on like this for the next couple of weeks. Juyeon is moving too slowly for Eric. He wants to ride now, but his dad keeps saying no. It is not that Juyeon is not listening to Eric, he just wants to be cautious and make sure that Eric only starts to ride on his own when he is completely ready, that way Juyeon knows that he will not get hurt at all. 

"Daddy, can we take a break?" Eric asks, bored of being pushed around for the third time today. 

"Sure. I'll go get you some fruit snacks and juice." Juyeon responds, before going into the house. 

As Eric is sitting on the porch by himself, Chanhee comes by.

"Hi, Eric."

"Hi, Mr. Chanhee." Eric replies. 

"What's wrong?" Chanhee asks, looking at the sad expression on Eric's face. 

"I'm trying to learn how to ride a bike, but Daddy won't let me pedal by myself. I know he just wants to keep me safe, but I really want to try it by myself." 

"Oh, well I'm sure he will let you eventually." 

Suddenly, Eric gets an idea. 

"Wait, you are grown-up. You can help me learn how to ride a bike. Please? With Daddy's help he will be pushing me until I am a grown-up too." 

"Well, you do have on all your safety equipment. I'm sure your Daddy won't mind." 

Eric runs over to his bike and waits for Chanhee to come over and start pushing him. 

"Just tell me when you are ready for me to let go, okay?"

"Okay." Eric agrees. 

Eric begins to pedal and Chanhee holds onto him. After a moment, Eric tells him that it is okay to let go now. Thankfully for Eric, Chanhee actually does let go and he is allowed to ride the bike by himself. Eric manages to keep himself balanced and pedals his bike down the sidewalk. 

"Look, I'm riding the bike all by myself!" Eric exclaims. 

"Good job, Eric!" Chanhee encourages as Eric goes all the way to the end of the block and back. 

"Mr. Chanhee, did you see me? DId you see me?" Eric asks, as he goes back to where he started. 

"Yeah, I saw you. You are so good at riding a bike." 

"Sorry it took me so long, Youngjae. I got a call from uncle Younghoon-" Juyeon stops when he sees Eric riding his bike all by himself. 

Chanhee notices Juyeon watching Eric, so he intervenes. 

"I helped him. I held onto him and then he just took off by himself. He is a natural. I hope you aren't mad." 

"No, I'm not mad. I never knew he was that good, maybe I was holding him back too much. I just wanted him to be safe." 

"Juyeon, he has on his helmet and padding, he will be okay."

"I know, but he can still get cuts and scrapes." Juyeon says. 

"Yeah, but if he does you will be there for him, right?" Chanhee asks. 

"Of course."

"Then you don't need to worry, Eric will be okay. Look how happy he looks riding that bike."

At that moment, Juyeon realizes that he was holding Eric back and that he shouldn't have done that. He needs to begin to accept that fact that Eric is growing up, and that new abilities will come with that. Eric isn't a little baby anymore, he knows how to follow rules that will keep him safe and Juyeon does not need to worry so much anymore. Seeing Eric so happy on the bike makes Juyeon glad that Chanhee helped him out.  

"I guess you're right. I shouldn't have been holding him back like that. He needs to experience things on his own if he wants, and when he needs help I will be there for him. Thank you for helping, Chanhee." Juyeon responds, giving Chanhee a kiss on the cheek. 

When Eric sees that his dad is now back outside, he gets of the bike and runs over to him. 

"I'm sorry Dad, I know I shouldn't have gone on the bike without you around."

"It's alright, Youngjae. Daddy isn't upset, in fact I am really proud of you. You caught onto bike riding really fast and you are doing such a good job. You can ride on your own now, Daddy is sorry for holding you back." 

"Thank you, Daddy." Eric says, hugging Juyeon. 

"And thank you for your help, Mr. Chanhee." Eric adds, also giving Chanhee a hug. 

"You're welcome. Now, how about you show your dad your bike riding skills?" Chanhee replies. 

"Really? Can I?" Eric asks, turning to his dad.

"Yeah, I would love to see. Ride all the way to the end of the block and come back, I'll watch you." Juyeon tells him. 

Eric smiles and happily gets back on his bike, excited to show off his skills to his father.