Chapter 20: Dog Days

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

Ever since Eric was five years old, he has wanted a dog. Juyeon likes to think that Eric wanted a dog since he was a baby though, since dog was his first word. Now that Eric is ten years old, Juyeon and Chanhee think that he is old enough for a dog. 

"What kind of dog do you think we should get for Youngjae?" Chanhee asks Juyeon, as they lay in bed one night. 

"I'm not sure. Definitely a friendly one. Let's go to the shelter tomorrow and see what dogs they have." Juyeon suggests. 

Chanhee nods in agreement before giving his husband a good night kiss. 

The next day, Chanhee and Juyeon go to the dog shelter while Eric is at school. 

"Hello." The man at the front desk greets them. 

"Hi. We're here to look at the dogs."

"Follow me." The man replies, before guiding them to another room. 

They stop in a room with all different types of dogs. 

"All of the dogs in here are for adoption. You can play with them and see which one you like." The man tells them, before leaving the room.

"Juyeon, look at this dog."

The dog that Chanhee is talking about is a golden retriever and is very friendly, so Juyeon comes over to pet the dog as well. 

"Wow, he's really nice." Juyeon says, petting the dog. 

The dog sits down and smiles at them while wagging his tail. For the rest of the visit, the other dogs do not pay as much attention to them as the golden retriver did. This is a sign, the golden retriever picked them, he wants to go home with them. 

"So, are we going to be taking a dog home today?" The man at the desk asks them, with a hopeful smile. 

"Yes, we want to adopt the golden retriever ."

The man nods and brings the dog out before having them sign some paperwork and pay the adoption fee. After all of that is done, they can now take their dog home. Since Eric is still at school by the time they get home, the dog will be a surprise for him when he gets back. 

About an hour later, it is time for Juyeon to go pick Eric up from school. When the two of them come back, Juyeon tells Eric to close his eyes as they enter the house.

"Okay, you can open them now." Juyeon says, as they enter the living room together. 

Eric opens his eyes to see a golden retriever smiling at him. 

"Oh my gosh, a dog! Can we keep him, daddy?" Eric responds, running up to the dog and hugging him. 

"You bet we are keeping him. We adopted him for you. I know that you have wanted a dog since you were five, and now that you are ten I think you are old enough to take care of a dog." Juyeon replies. 

"This is so awesome! Thank you guys so much." Eric says, as he continues to pet the dog. 

"What are you going to name him?" Chanhee asks. 

Eric thinks about that for a few seconds. 

"I'm gonna name him Buster." 

"I like that name." Juyeon approves. 

"Can we go to the pet store and get him a name tag?" Eric questions. 

"Yeah, we have to go to the pet store and get some supplies for him." Chanhee agrees. 

"We can go right now, it shouldn't take long." Juyeon says, taking his keys out.

"Don't worry Buster, just stay there and we will be right back." Eric tells the dog. 

After getting the supplies and coming back home, Eric and the dog play fetch together until dinnertime. This is only the beginning of all the fun that Eric has with Buster.

Juyeon does all the dog training, while Eric does all of the caretaking and playing. Eric plays fetch and frisbee with him. They even fall asleep together at night sometimes. 

Eric decides to have Sunwoo and Hyunjoon over, since they also wanted a dog when they were younger. They do not have one yet, so Eric wants to share his great fortune with them. 

"Buster is so cool, Eric." Sunwoo says, as he throws the ball for Buster to fetch again. 

"And he is so cute. I wish our fathers would get us a dog." Hyunjoon adds. 

"I'm sure they will get you guys a dog soon. Maybe you could ask them to get you on for your birthday."

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to try that." Hyunjoon replies to Eric's plan. 

Buster comes back with the ball and places it in front of the boys. 

"Good boy, Buster." Eric praises, before sitting down on the grass. 

Hyunjoon and Sunwoo sit down as well and Buster follows, resting his head on Eric's leg. 

"It is such a nice day outside." Hyunjoon blurts out. 

"It is a nice day." Eric agress, enjoying both the calm weather and the company of his three best friends. 

Juyeon and Chanhee are watching from the kitchen window. 

"He is just too adorable with that dog." Juyeon says. 

"I know, and he is taking such good care of Buster. He really is growing up, he is so responsible." Chanhee states, before the oven goes off. 

"The breadsticks are done. Can you go tell the boys to come in and wash up for dinner while I take the bread out of the oven?" 

"Sure sweetheart." Juyeon answers, giving his husband a kiss before going to call the boys in for dinner. 

Before Juyeon calls out to them, he realizes he should take a picture to remember this moment, so he goes to get the camera before going out to Eric and his friends. 

"Hey boys, can I take a picture?" Juyeon asks. 

"Sure." They agree. 

The three of them pose and Buster stays on Eric's leg while Juyeon takes the photo. When the photo comes out, Juyeon shows it to them. 

"We look so cute." Eric comments. 

"You sure do. Now come on, dinner is ready so go inside and wash up." Juyeon tells them. 

The three boys run inside and Juyeon and Buster follow. Juyeon goes up to his room to add this photo to his album of Eric's pictures. After adding it, he looks through the other photos. The very first photo in there is of Juyeon holding Eric on the day that he adopted him. There are also photos of Eric's first birthday, his first day of school, and him playing in the yard. 

Looking at these photos makes Juyeon cry with joy, he is so proud of who Eric is growing up to be and he is so glad that he adopted him ten years ago. 

"I love you so much, Youngjae." Juyeon says, before putting the book away. 

"I love you too, Daddy." Eric says, from the doorway. 

Juyeon is startled and looks over to see Eric at the door. 

"Youngjae, you scared me." Juyeon chuckles. 

"Sorry."

"That's okay. Come on, let's go have dinner." Juyeon smiles, holding onto Eric's hand as they walk to the kitchen together.