Chapter 19: Vacation

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

Remember when the Baes suggested to Juyeon that they all go camping together? Well, that finally happens about three years later. The boys are now eight years old and are still best friends like they were in kindergarten. 

"Okay Youngjae, don't forget to pack your stuffed dog, Arnold." Juyeon says.

"Daddy, I'm eight years old now. I don't need this, I'm not a baby." 

"Alright, I understand. You're a big boy now, all grown up." Juyeon replies, ruffling Eric's hair before leaving his room. 

Eric sneaks the dog into his bag anyway, despite telling his father that he did not need it. 

After the three of them have packed everything into the car, they drive out to the campsite. 

"Dad, can I have some juice?" Eric asks Chanhee. 

"Sure. Apple or grape?" 

"Apple, please." 

"Do you want some crackers too?" Chanhee asks, as he hands Eric his juice box. 

"Yeah."

Chanhee gives Eric the crackers and he thanks him. 

"Dad, have you ever been camping before?" Eric asks.

"No, this is my first time."

"Don't worry, I'll show you the ropes. Me and Daddy have gone camping since I was four." 

"Yeah, I remember the first time we went camping together. Back then all Youngjae wanted to do was eat s'mores and hotdogs, but now he likes fishing, hiking, and bird watching." Juyeon comments. 

Several minutes later, the Lees arrive at the campsite, with the Baes arriving just a few seconds later. As soon as Eric sees his two best friends, he runs over to them and hugs them. 

"Hi, Hyunjoon. Hi, Sunwoo."

"Hi, Eric." They both reply. 

"Are you guys ready to camp?" Eric asks them.

"More than ready."

"Daddy, Hyunjoon and Sunwoo are excited to camp too." Eric tells his father, as he and Chanhee walk over to them. 

"Are you boys eager to set up the tents too? That's what we have to do first." 

After setting up the tents, it is time to go for a hike together. 

"Look, a deer!" Eric exclaims, pointing at a deer in the distance.

"Youngjae, don't be too loud, you might startle it." Juyeon whispers. 

"Daddy, I'm scared." Hyunjoon says, holding onto Jacob. 

"It's alright, Hyunjoon. You've seen deer before." Jacob replies. 

The deer eats some grass for a few seconds more before leaving. 

"Daddy, do you think we will see any birds?" Eric asks. 

"Probably, we just have to listen for them." 

They continue down the trail and end up seeing another deer, and three birds. 

After the hike, it is time to go swimming before dinner. The boys put on their swimsuits and Jacob and Chanhee go to supervise them while Juyeon and Sangyeon start grilling the meal for dinner. 

"We should have dinner ready in about half an hour." Sangyeon says. 

"Can we swim for longer than that?" Sunwoo asks. 

"Yes, you boys can swim for as long as you want to. We will keep the food warm for you." Sangyeon replies, pinching his son's cheek. 

"Alright boys, let's go." Jacob says. 

Sunwoo, Hyunjoon, and Eric swim in the lake while Jacob and Chanhee watch them from the shore and talk. 

"Your boys are so well behaved. They are such sweethearts." Chanhee tells Jacob. 

"Thank you, so is Eric. He is such a friendly boy, he is really helpful and patient with Hyunjoon. I know this may be a personal question, but do you see him as your own son yet?" 

"Yeah, I do. I know that Eric didn't like me at first, but now he cares about me just as much as he does for Juyeon. I care about him a lot too, I want the best for him and I want him to always be happy." Chanhee answers. 

"I feel the same way about my sons." Jacob agrees. 

"Daddy, look I'm a dolphin!" Hyunjoon exclaims, jumping out of the water the same way a dolphin would. 

"And you are such a cute little dolphin." Jacob replies. 

"Let's play marco polo." Eric suggests. 

The three of them play marco polo and swim around for about twenty more minutes before coming out of the lake. Chanhee and Jacob are both waiting with towels to put around their sons. 

"Did you guys have fun in the water?"

"Yeah, we were like fishes."

Chanhee and Jacob both smile at this. 

"Well, now it is time for dinner." Chanhee says, as they walk back to the campsite. 

They arrive to see that Sangyeon and Juyeon are finishing setting up the table. 

"Perfect timing. We just finished making the burgers and hotdogs a few seconds ago." Sangyeon says. 

"Are we gonna have s'mores after this?" Eric asks.

"Only if you eat all your food." Juyeon answers. 

Eric takes a big bite of out his hamburger, he really wants to have s'mores later. 

Eric does finish all of his food, and they end up all having s'mores together over the campfire. 

"These s'more are even better than the ones my daddy makes. Thank you, Mr. Bae." Eric says. 

"Your welcome, Eric."

"You don't like daddy's s'mores?" Juyeon asks. 

"I still like your s'mores daddy, and I love you." Eric replies, hugging Juyeon. 

"And I love you too." 

"I love you too, dad." Eric tells Chanhee, after Juyeon lets go of him. 

"I love you too." 

Before Chanhee hugs Eric, he sees that he has some chocolate by the side of his mouth, so he wipes his face with a napkin.

"Dad, I can wipe my own face." Eric whines. 

"Chanhee, you're babying him even more than I do." Juyeon chuckles. 

"What? He's only eight." 

"But I'm a big boy." Eric replies, taking another s'more before sitting back in between his parents. 

"We know, Youngjae. We're both very proud of you and love you very much." Juyeon says, kissing the top of Eric's head. 

Juyeon and Chanhee both smile at each other, they are happy to have each other and to have Eric in their lives.