Chapter 5: The Prince

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

As Youngjae gets older, his bond with Juyeon grows stronger. To Juyeon, Youngjae is the little prince of the house. Youngjae can talk to Juyeon about anything, even his fears. 

Thunder and lightning wakes Youngjae up one night. Scared, he climbs out of his bed and goes to his dad's room. He creaks open the door to find him asleep, so he crawls into his bed. 

"Daddy, wake up." Youngjae says, tapping Juyeon.

"Huh? Youngjae, what's wrong? Why aren't you asleep?"

A roar of thunder comes by, causing Youngjae to cling to Juyeon.

"That's why." 

"Do you want to sleep here tonight?"

Youngjae nods in response. He immediately gets under the covers and cuddles up next to his dad. 

"The thunder won't hurt you, Youngjae, You are safe and sound inside with daddy." Juyeon tells his son. 

Whenever they are apart, Youngjae can't wait to see Juyeon again. He loves his uncle Kevin, but he can't help but miss his dad. 

"I love finger painting with you uncle Kevin." 

"I love painting with you too. Are you making that for your dad?"

"Yeah. Can I give it to him when he gets here?"

"It should be dry by the time he gets here, so sure." Kevin, says, taking the paper and hanging it up to dry.

"Now, who wants some juice and crackers?" Kevin asks.

"Me, me, me!" 

"Come on Eric, let's go to the kitchen."

"Race you there!" Youngjae exclaims. 

Once they are both sitting at the kitchen table, Kevin gives Youngjae a juice box and crackers. Kevin allows Eric to continue his creativity by giving him a coloring book. During his second coloring page, Juyeon arrives. 

"Eric, you dad is here." Kevin calls out. 

Eric runs into Juyeon's arms and hugs him. 

"I missed you too my little prince." Juyeon says, picking Eric up.

"Eric made a present for you." Kevin announces, handing Juyeon a paper. 

"See daddy, that is our house and I drew you and me next to it." Eric explains. 

"You did such a great job with this picture kiddo."

"Thank you." Eric replies proudly.

Juyeon and Eric say goodbye to Kevin before leaving to go home. 

Like most kids, Eric's favorite day of the year is his birthday. Especially because it means he gets to spend all day with his favorite person in the whole world since Juyeon takes the day off from work. 

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Wake up!" Youngjae shouts, jumping on Juyeon's bed. 

"What is it?"

"Guess what today is?" Youngjae asks, still jumping.

"I don't know. It is just a regular Tuesday."

Eric stops jumping and tells Juyeon that it is his birthday. 

"I know. I was just joking with you. I have a fun day planned today."

"What are we going to do?"

"It is a surprise. Now, go get dressed so we can have breakfast and go out." 

Eric runs to his room to get dressed. He comes back wearing his favorite outfit, which is a blue button up shirt and black pants along with a baseball cap. He likes to dress similarly to his father, the baseball cap is his own personal touch however. 

"Daddy, since it is my birthday can we match today?"

"Of course. We can match whenever you want to." 

Juyeon gets dressed in the same outfit. At breakfast, Eric wolfs down his pancakes. 

"Youngjae, slow down. You might choke if you eat that fast." 

"Sorry daddy, I just really want to see the surprise."

"It will happen before you know it." 

After breakfast, Juyeon drives Eric to the surprise. Which is an amusement park.

"Lotte World? This is the best present ever! Come on daddy, let's go!" Youngjae exclaims, dragging Juyeon inside the park. 

The first thing they do together is ride the merry-go-round. 

"Horsey!" Eric says, as Juyeon puts him on the plastic horse. 

"Remember to hold onto the horse, okay Youngjae?"

"Yes dad."

Juyeon stands next to Eric as the ride goes around. He enjoys seeing Eric so happy as they ride the merry-go-round. 

:"What do you want to do next?" Juyeon asks Eric.

"I want to go on the airplane ride."

"Alright, come on."

Youngjae runs to the ride, so Juyeon speeds up after him. 

"Youngjae, wait for daddy."

Eric pauses and holds his dad's hand as they walk through the park. 

"Dad, look at me! I'm flying!" Eric points out to Juyeon, as he is on the ride.

"I see you, Eric." Juyeon waves, smiling at his son. 

"Did you see me daddy? I was up so high it was like I could touch the sky." Eric says, as he gets off the ride and runs to his dad.

"Yeah, you were all the way in the sky."

"It was the best." Eric says. 

Eric goes on a few more rides before he and Juyeon have lunch. 

"What do you want to eat, Youngjae?"

"I want a corn dog. Please, daddy?"

Juyeon gets corn dogs for both of them.

"Do you want ketchup kiddo?"

"Yes please."

Juyeon puts a line of ketchup on the corndog.

"Thank you daddy."

"You're welcome." 

They spend time at the amusement park until four o'clock. 

When they get home, they are greeted by Kevin.

"Happy birthday, Eric!" Kevin says, holding a cake.

"Thank you uncle." Eric responds, hugging Kevin.

"Let's go in the kitchen and light some candles so you can make a wish." 

Juyeon lights the candles and Eric makes a wish before blowing them out. Juyeon and Kevin cheer and congratulate Eric. As they eat cake together, Eric suggests the addition of ice cream. 

"I can get it." Eric tells his dad.

"Okay, be careful." Juyeon replies, before Eric goes off to the kitchen.

"Wow, I can't believe Eric is five already. It seems like just yesterday he was crawling around the house." Kevin states.

"Yeah. Now I have to sign him up for kindergarten."

"Is he ready for it?"

"He definitely is, he is such an independent child. I even talked to him about it and he told me he was excited about it. I'm the one who is not ready for him to go to kindergarten yet. Do you think I can let him go next year?"

"Juyeon, you can't hold Eric back like that. You will get used to him going to school soon."

"I guess so. I have to let him go, he really wants to anyway. I will be strong for him." Juyeon agrees.