Chapter 7: Eric's Play Date

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

"Are you excited for you first play date, Youngjae?" Juyeon asks, as they walk to the Bae's house. 

"Yeah! I can't wait to see Hyunjoon and Sunwoo outside of school. Now we can do anything."

They arrive at a blue two story house with sunflowers in the front yard. Juyeon rings the doorbell and Sangyeon opens the front door. 

"Hello, Juyeon and Eric. Please, come in." 

As they enter the house, Sunwoo and Hyunjoon come running down the stairs, calling out to Eric.

"Careful going down the stairs boys." Jacob says, following closely after. 

They run over to Eric and hug him.

"Now that you're here, we can play tons of games. We can play hide-and-seek, super heros, and pirates." Hyunjoon rambles on.

Jacob leads them up the stairs to make sure they are careful, before going to the living room where Sangyeon and Juyeon are now sitting. 

"You set up all the games for them?" Sangyeon asks Jacob.

"Yeah. Oh, that reminds me. I have to finish making the tea." Jacob says, leaving the room. 

"So, how has your day been going?" Sangyeon questions.

"Good, I don't have to work today." Juyeon answers.

"What do you do?" 

"I'm a lawyer."

"Ah, that must be tiring."

"Sometimes. How about you?"

"I'm a car salesman"

Sangyeon and Juyeon continue to talk until Jacob returns. 

"The tea is ready." Jacob announces, setting down a tray with a tea pot and three cups filled with tea.

All three of them drink the tea and talk about things such as work and hobbies, Juyeon even finds out that he has a few things in common with Sangyeon and Jacob. Juyeon learns that Jaocb is a stay at home dad who also works as an online editor. The three of them like camping and agree that they should make plans to go together some time. Sangyeon even tells a story about the last time they went camping and how the only fish they caught was small, but then Hyunjoon and Sunwoo ended up catching rather large fish. 

"Have you taken Eric camping?" 

"We have only gone once so far, he really likes watching the birds when we going hiking."

"That is so precious, we really need to go together. All of six of us. Wait, does Eric have another parent? If you don't mind me asking." Jacob asks. 

"No, he just has me. I adopted him when he was a few months old and it has been the two of us ever since." 

"We adopted our when they were babies too."

Upstairs, their sons are playing pirate with plastic swords, pretending to have a fight.

Eric pretends to stab Sunwoo with his sword. Sunwoo falls to the ground, pretending to die. 

"No, not my brother!" Hyunjoon says, before he stabs Eric. 

"You got me!" Eric exclaims, falling next to Sunwoo. 

"I win!" Hyunjoon cheers. 

"Let's play another game. Oh! Let's show Eric our dog." Sunwoo suggests.

"You guys have a dog? I love dogs."

Hyunjoon goes over to the toy box and takes out a remote control beagle. 

"It's a toy?" 

"Yeah, his name is Bagel." Hyunjoon answers. 

"Our fathers won't let us get a real dog until we're older." Sunwoo explains. 

"I've always wanted a dog, but I never asked my dad." 

"You should ask him. Maybe your daddy will say yes and we could visit it." Hyunjoon says. 

"But for now, we can play with Bagel." Sunwoo responds, taking the remote from his brother. 

"It is really cute." Eric states, going over to the toy. 

The boys take turns making the dog bark, do tricks, and walk around the room. 

When they get sick of that, they move onto to hide-and-seek. As the adults are talking, Sunwoo runs over to Jacob with a blanket in his hands. 

"Daddy, can I sit on you lap and hide under this blanket?" 

"Sure." Jacob says, before picking Sunwoo up and resting him on his lap. 

Sunwoo picks up the blanket and throws it over himself. 

Moments later, Eric and Hyunjoon come down to search for Sunwoo.

"What are you boys up to?" Sangyeon asks them.

"Looking for Sunwoo. Have you seen him, Dad?"

"I can't say that I have." Sangyeon replies, smiling. 

They continue to look around the room, until Hyunjoon notices something.

"Hey, Daddy, you didn't have that blanket before." Hyunjoon confronts Jacob, as he walks over to him.

Hyunjoon yanks off the blanket to see Sunwoo.

"Haha! We found you!"

They play one more game of hide-and-seek before it is time to go home. Juyeon and Youngjae say goodbye to the Baes before walking back home. 

"I had so much fun today Daddy, I can't wait to go back."

"I'm glad. We set up another play date for next week." 

"Yay!"

Suddenly, Youngjae remembers something important.

"Daddy, can I have a dog?" He asks.

"Not right now, Youngjae. Maybe when you're older you can get a dog." 

There is silence for a few seconds before Youngjae asks if he is old enough now.

"It has only been a few seconds, the answer is still no."

"Now?" He asks again.

"I said no."

This exchange goes on until they get home and Juyeon takes Eric to his room for his nap. Thankfully, he falls asleep pretty quickly.