Chapter 14: Doctor Eric & Nurse Chanhee

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

Stressing out about Eric being missing must have weakened Juyeon's immune system or maybe he just has bad luck, because he gets the cold a week later. 

"Daddy, wake up! It's morning time." Eric says, as he climbs into his father's bed. 

Juyeon does not want to open his eyes due to his headache. 

"Daddy, are you sleeping?" Eric calls out, opening Juyeon's eye. 

"No, I'm just resting my eyes." Juyeon replies, removing Eric's hand. 

"What's wrong Daddy?" Eric asks, sensing something is wrong. 

"Daddy just has a cold. I know I always make you pancakes on Saturdays, but can you do me a favor?"

"Anything for you Daddy." 

"I want you to make yourself a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Daddy knows you can do it, you're a big boy, right?"

"'Yes sir." 

Eric makes a proper bowl of cereal, and as he is eating he comes up with the idea to help Juyeon get better. He puts his dishes away and goes upstairs to get dressed in his doctor outfit. 

"Daddy, I'm here to fix your cold." Eric says, entering the room. 

"Awww. Youngjae, you look adorable. You don't need to watch over Daddy though, I'll be fine."

"Are you sure you don't need anything?" Eric asks, sitting next to Juyeon. 

"Well, can you bring me some water?"

Eric runs to kitchen as soon as Juyeon finishes his sentence and comes back with a glass of water in a minute. 

"Here, Daddy." Eric says, handing Juyeon the cup. 

"Thank you."

"Anything else? Do you need medicine too?"

"That's it. Now, I want you to go play in your room. Daddy doesn't want you to get sick too. I will be fine as long as I rest." 

Eric reluctantly goes to his room to play. 

"Teddy, I'm worried about Daddy. What if he is really sick?"

Eric then hears Juyeon cough in the distance. 

"That sounded bad. Maybe he thinks I'm too little for such a big cold. I need to call for help." 

Eric calls for his uncle first, but he does not pick up, so he decides to call Mr. Chanhee. He is a grown up, he has to know something about taking care of someone stubborn like Juyeon. 

"Hello?" 

"Mr. Chanhee, it's me, Eric. I called you because my Daddy is sick and I need help taking care of him. Can you please help me?" 

"Sure, I'll be over soon." 

"Thank you so much, Mr. Chanhee." 

As Eric hangs up the phone, he is relieved that someone will be here to help him. While he is eager to take care of his father, he is not completely sure of what to do, he has never taken care of a sick person before, so having help is an amazing thing. 

About half an hour later, Chanhee comes over with a few things to help Juyeon with his cold. 

"Hi, Mr. Chanhee." Eric says, letting Chanhee in. 

"Hello, Eric. Awww, you're doctor outfit is so adorable." 

"Thank you. I can lead you to Daddy." Eric replies, taking Chanhee's hand and leading him to Juyeon's room. 

They walk in to see Juyeon sitting up in bed, coughing and surrounded by papers. 

"Juyeon, are you working?"

"Chanhee, what are you doing here?"

"I called him to help me take care of you, Daddy." Eric informs his dad. 

"Juyeon, you should be resting, not working." 

"But if I'm going to be laying here I might as well get some work done." 

"You need to rest so you can get better." Chanhee says, setting the papers on Juyeon's desk across the room.

"But-"

"Please, Daddy?" Eric begs, with a sad face on. 

Juyeon instantly give in upon seeing Eric's expression. 

"Okay, if you really want Daddy to rest, then I will." 

"Did you take any medicine?" Chanhee questions. 

"No."

"I can get it!" Eric exclaims, running to the medicine cabinet and getting the cough syrup. 

"Here." Eric hands it to Chanhee. 

"Thank you, Eric." 

Chanhee pours the medicine into the tiny cup and gives it to Juyeon. Once he drinks it, Chanhee asks him if he has had breakfast yet.

"No, I'm not hungry."

"But you have to eat, or you might make your cold worse. I will go make some oatmeal for you." 

"Can I help?" Eric asks.

"Sure." Chanhee replies. 

Eric jumps off the bed and follows Chanhee to the kitchen. 

They make the oatmeal for Juyeon and he actually ends up eating all of it. 

"You should take a nap now, Daddy." Eric suggests. 

"This early in the day?"

"Eric is right. You need as much rest as possible to help you get better, so you really should take a nap." 

"Fine." 

"Good night, Daddy." Eric says, about to kiss Juyeon on the cheek. 

"No, not too close. Daddy doesn't want you to get sick too." 

"Okay." Eric says, giving Juyeon a quick kiss on the forehead. 

"Come on Eric, let's leave Daddy alone to sleep."

"Wait. Can you watch over Eric and give him his lunch at noon?" Juyeon calls out before they leave.

"Of course." 

"Thank you." Juyeon replies, as they exit the room. 

"Okay, Eric. What do you want to do?" 

"Can we keep playing doctor? I need to make sure you are healthy too." 

"Alright. What do I need to do?" 

"Just sit down on the couch."

Chanhee does as told and Eric comes over to check his forehead.

"You aren't warm, so no fever." 

Eric then puts the stethoscope to check Chanhee's heartbeat. 

"And your heartbeat is normal." 

"You seem pretty healthy to me." Eric smiles.

"Well thank you, Eric." 

"Here is your lollipop." Eric says, handing Chanhee a lollipop from his doctor bag. 

"Awww, that is so cute. Thank you Eric."

"You're welcome."

"So, do you want to be a doctor when you grow up?"

"Yeah. Either a doctor, a scientist, or a lawyer like my daddy. Or a superhero." 

"I bet you'll do a great job at whichever one you choose." 

"Thank you. Mr. Chanhee, can we play legos now?" 

Eric and Chanhee play with the legos until it is lunch time. 

"Time for your lunch, Eric. What does your daddy usually give you?" 

"A sandwich and some fruit."

Chanhee makes Eric a ham and cheese sandwich and gives him an apple. 

"Can we bake cookies too?" Eric asks, as he eats his lunch. 

"How about, if you finish your lunch then we can bake my special chocolate chip cookies."

"Deal."

Eric eagerly finishes his lunch so he can get cookies, and patiently waits for them to cool when they are done. 

"Are they cool yet?"

"Just a few more minutes."

When those few minutes pass by, Eric runs to the kitchen. 

"Can I eat one now?" 

"Yes, you can have one now." 

Eric takes a cookie and is stunned when he tastes it.

"Oh my gosh, these are even better than the ones daddy makes." Eric says, shoving the rest of the cookie into his mouth and then grabbing another. 

Chanhee smiles in response. 

"I'm glad you think so." 

"Mr. Chanhee." Eric begins.

"Yes, Eric?"

"I'm sorry that I sprayed you with that hose. I was just jealous that you were spending so much time with my daddy, so I lashed out. I'm sorry."

"I accept your apology. Also, you don't have to be jealous of me, Eric. Your daddy loves you very much and he will always love you, you're his son. He told me that you were his little prince the first time he held you when you were a baby."

"I know, daddy told me that." Eric smiles. 

"So, does this mean that we can be friends now?" Chanhee asks, with his hand out. 

"You got it." Eric says, shaking his hand in acceptance. 

"Does this mean you will play hide-and-seek with me?" Eric adds.

"Okay. Do you want to hide or seek?"

"I want to hide."

"I will start counting then."

Eric runs to the closet in the laundry room as soon as Chanhee starts counting. 

"Ready or not, here I come." Chanhee calls out, after twenty seconds. 

He eventually does find Eric in the laundry room. 

"I found you." 

"You win. Oh, it's one o'clock. Can we go watch television?" 

"Is your favorite show on?"

"Yeah, let's go watch it together." Eric responds, grabbing Chanhee's hand to lead him to the living room. 

They watch television together until falling asleep. 

Juyeon comes down to the kitchen to get some ice water, and sees the two of them on the couch. Eric is asleep in Chanhee's lap, who is also asleep. This sight makes Juyeon smile. 

"Looks like you two made up." Juyeon says to himself as he walks over to them. 

"Youngjae, I'm so proud of you for apologizing and starting to get along with Mr. Chanhee. I love you." Juyeon whispers to his sleeping son, before kissing his forehead. 

"And I love you too." Juyeon says to Chanhee, kissing his forehead as well.