Chapter 4: Every Moment

Step Away From My Dad, Mister!

 

"Come on, Youngjae, you can do it. Say dada."Juyeon tells his son. 

All he gets is a blank stare in response. 

"You'll get it one day, don't worry." Juyeon says, as he takes Youngjae out of his crib. 

They go downstairs for breakfast. Juyeon gives Youngjae Cheerios while he has waffles. Youngjae eats his cereal quietly, but after breakfast he babbles while watching television with his dad. 

"D-d-d." 

"You are so close Youngjae, just add an a sound." 

Juyeon never gets that sound, Youngjae is pretty silent until one of his favorite cartoons comes on, which is Super Dog. 

"D-d-dog!" Youngjae suddenly exclaims. 

Juyeon looks over, shocked. Did he really just hear his son speak?

"Youngjae, what did you say?"

He goes quiet again, so Juyeon get his stuffed dog. 

"Dog!" 

"Oh my gosh, you said your first words. I am so proud of you Youngjae!" 

Juyeon is so happy that he was around for Youngjae's first word, even if it wasn't dad, it still makes him feel proud. 

The next time Juyeon drops Youngjae off at Kevin's house he informs him about Youngjae's latest milestone. 

"Oh my gosh, Eric said his first word already? What was it?"

"Dog."

"Well, that makes sense. He really loves to watch that Super Dog show, a smile comes to his face whenever it is on."

"I know. That moment made me realize that these special moments in his life mean a lot to me and I don't want to miss them. So I want you to record them for me."

"Everything?"

"Just important things, I don't want to miss anything while I am at work." Juyeon elaborates. 

From that point on Kevin records a lot of videos and sends them to Juyeon while he is on his break at work. 

"Awww." Juyeon says, while he watches one of these videos at work. 

"What are you watching Juyeon? Oh, is it a video of a puppy? Kittens?" Younghoon asks.

"No, this is cuter. Kevin sent me the cutest video of Youngjae saying apple." Juyeon explains. 

"He can talk already?"

"Yeah, he started recently and now Kevin is teaching him more words, dog was his first word. It wasn't dad, but I'm still so happy he is starting to talk."

"Don't worry, he will say dad one day." Younghoon says, patting Juyeon's back before getting up. 

Juyeon is very sure that his son will say that one day, he just has to wait it out. Thankfully for him, his wait is not long. 

One day Juyeon is on the phone talking to Jaehyun about a recent case, his son is sitting in his lap.  

"Daddy." Youngjae says, reaching up to Juyeon's face. 

Juyeon's eyes open widely in shock and looks down. Youngjae is still reaching for his face. 

"Hold on for a second, Jaehyun." Juyeon says, putting the phone down. 

"Youngjae?"

"Daddy." 

Juyeon smiles and picks Youngjae up so they are eye level.

"You finally said it! This makes daddy so happy, Youngjae." 

Youngjae reaches out and grabs Juyeon's nose while calling out to him again. 

"It's a good thing Kevin has been using those flashcards with you." 

"Love." Youngjae says.

"Who do you love? Is it me?"

"Love!" Youngjae happily exclaims. 

"I will take that as a yes. Daddy loves you too Youngjae."