In A Lonely Place

More Than I Deserve

Yoongi stood there frozen in silence. He looked down at the flowers in his hand.

"What are you doing here?" Hobi asked.

"I forgot you were coming over," I said, instantly seeing the pain in his eyes.

Yoongi nods his head. Of course, I'm not important. He thinks.

"I'll be going then." He hands her the flowers and walks away. Not looking back cause he doesn't want them to see the tears.

"Wait Yoongi you don't have to go," I said.

"It's okay. I have something I need to do. Bye." He says quickly as he slips into the elevator.

Hobi looks at me. "What's going on? Are you fooling around with him?"

"No. How can you ask that? We are good friends."

"Why the flowers?"

"I don't know but it's not like they're red roses."

"...But, they are your favorite so it's more meaningful." He says softly.

"He doesn't know that."

"Jennie, tell me the truth. I won't be mad. I need to know if he likes you. I think he's jealous when I'm with you."

His sweet little face flashed through my mind making me smile. "I think so," I said to Hobi looking worriedly at him.

With a pang in my heart, I thought, I love him. The defeat in his shoulders as he walked away from me to the elevator made me sure he was broken at the moment. He loves me too! I know it. I wanted to run after him to make sure he was okay. To tell him how I feel. But things were complicated. I couldn't just leave Hobi there. He is hurt and confused also.

I was torn between going in and reassuring Hobi that I did love him or running after Yoongi. I stood paralyzed at the door unwilling or unable to choose. Hobi pulled me inside and closed the door. He gazed at me trying to comprehend.

"You fell for him ...  or have you always had that longing in your heart?"

I stood there staring into his eyes as they welled up with tears. I wanted Hobi to understand that I didn't love him any less.

"I don't know exactly when it happened. It's all the times he was there for me, ironically reassuring me that you love me. All the times he held me. I thought I was helping him not feel abandoned but it was him saving me. He told me with his actions what his words couldn't say. When he couldn't deal with the pain of hurting you he fell into little space. He loves you so much Hobi."

"I love him too."


"I know. That's why I was jealous. You've known each other so much longer. I didn't want to come between you. I was going to quit my job and leave you both." I said tearing up.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Cause I love you. I was in a lonely place."

"I couldn't do it."