Imposter

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
04 Imposter  

Minju exhale sharply.

 

Something tells her, her only day off since forever is about to be disrupted.

The sun is warm and still. The neighborhood is quiet and free of chaos. However, the slight morning breeze harbors troubles. She can feel it. 

Folding her arms across her chest, she waits in utter silence. Then on the other side of the brick wall, in front of the flower bed, she hears footsteps. Stomping and shuffling.

As Minju watches, she sees a head peek up at the top. Studying, she sees a brunette climb and hops over the high wall as if the hurdle is nothing. In disbelief, Minju becomes angry rather than shock.

She’s disappointed.

Chaewon speedily pins her back up against the wall, holding her breath as she listens out for the paparazzo. Then in the distance, she hears her cries, “Imposter! Hey imposter! Where did you go? Come out!”

Chaewon places a hand over her heart, hoping it’ll keep the paparazzo or anyone else from hearing the racing, pounding beats.

For a good two minutes, Chaewon stayed still. Holding her posture in case that Yena is still roaming around. However, when all she can hear is traffic and chattering far away, she slowly detaches herself from the wall. Breathing in and out, heavily, she’s relieved to have escaped. Though the thoughts of her getting caught continuously send shivers down her spine.

Once she’s safe enough to be aware of her surroundings, Chaewon couldn’t help but feel proud. The height of her life savior is amazing. For a brief moment, Chaewon is satisfied with her stunt. An adrenaline rush she doesn’t get to experience often when she acts for others.

Mumbling on her own, Chaewon sighs, “I’m alive. I escaped. Tch, was that woman’s legs made out of steel? I’ve never met anyone so persistent to keep up with me,”

Glancing down, Chaewon smiles and claps her hands together to free them from unseen dust. Then as she takes a step forward, to look for a way out, she nearly loses her balance.

In front of her, just some steps away, is an unimpressed Minju. The expression on her face tells Chaewon that the woman is ready to kill her.

Taken aback by her being there, Chaewon couldn’t do anything but freeze.

Why is the doctor there? Is she really following her? What is she going to do and say now? How far will she go to hurt Chaewon with her words this time?

Such thoughts raced through Chaewon’s head as she looks the other right in the eyes.

Although her jaw drop and are open, Chaewon couldn’t produce any words. She’s terrified. More afraid than when she heard that her mother has passed away. More afraid than when she has to jump off a flying plane with a parachute for a movie. More afraid than when she couldn’t open her chute and thought she was going to crash and die.

For a moment, Chaewon wishes she was blind and deaf or that she’s dreaming. But when the doctor spoke, her tone and voice fragmented Chaewon’s prayers.

“A fraud. An intruder and an imposter. You’re doing well for a criminal, but it’s too low compared to those other animals. To become a high-profile criminal, you must do more. Should I let you kill me in my own backyard?”

The coldness and strictness in Minju’s voice, nearly stop Chaewon’s heart. How can someone be so offhandedly vile? Chaewon couldn’t think of anything that would justify Minju’s vulgarness.

Blinking, Chaewon swallows the lump in . She isn’t sure what to do as she is positive that this Minju hates her to the core. There was no way of pleasing or bargaining with her. And Chaewon is sure that Minju won’t listen to and accepts any explanation she has. The doctor simply doesn’t care and loathes her.

“I—”

“Get lost and don’t ever show yourself to me again or I don’t know what I’ll do to a pathetic wimp like you,”

  
 

Chaewon drops her head in despair. Although she was striding down the sidewalk at a sloth pace, her surroundings were a blur. She has no idea where she was going and she didn’t care. She just wanted to disappear.

Before she unknowingly walks into oncoming traffic, she feels a strong hand stop her at the shoulder.

Looking over, with depressed eyes, she sees a familiar face.

“I finally caught you imposter. Think you could lose me? I’ll have you know that I’m acknowledged and known for my persistence at my workplace. You’ll never meet a more determined and passionate reporter like me. Mark my words,”

Chaewon sighs, emitting a dark and sad aura.

“Oh, hey, why are you so strange?” Yena asks, oddly concerned for the lass, “Earlier, when you were running away, you happily provoked me to catch you. But what’s this now? Are you putting on a show now that you’ve been caught,”

Chaewon sighs, once more.

Except, this time, she turns to face the shorter, “Hey Yena, can you buy me ice cream?”

The reporter blinks, “Ye-Yena? I-Ice cream? How do you know my name?”

Chaewon defeatedly gestures to the woman’s name tag, then repeats herself, “Can you buy me ice cream? Once I’m happy, I’ll tell you why I had to be Yuri today,”

The reporter pouts, curious if she can trust the imposter. After all, she wouldn’t want to spend the whole day chasing after and searching for the woman. However, she decides to give the latter a chance.

“What kind of...ice cream do you want?”

  
 

“Mmm,” Chaewon moans in delight as she and Yena exit Baskin-Robbins.

Some time in between the paying and leaving process, Chaewon offer Yena a bite. Which the reporter refuses with a slight disgust on her face. An expression, Chaewon simply shrugs off before going back to her Mint Chocolate Chip cone.

As they stop outside the building and out of people’s way, Yena gently elbows Chaewon on the back. Urging her to keep her part of the deal. “Since I bought you ice cream, you can now tell me where Yuri is, right?”

Chaewon nods and hums, but hold up a finger. Asking her to wait a moment longer so she can on her ice cream.

While she picks the chocolate chip off with her teeth and allows them to melt in , Chaewon motions for them to start walking. As Yena tries to stick close to the woman, she was also trying to understand what the other is saying.

Although Chaewon is talking, to Yena it sounds like a bunch of rubbish. The brunette isn’t producing any word with ice cream in .

So before Chaewon can further explain, Yena steps in front of her. “Do you hear yourself? You’re focusing too much on the ice cream. Start from the very beginning with nothing in your mouth! Jo Yuri is where and doing what?”

Chaewon swallows then clear , “She left Seoul for a personal, private matter. I can’t tell you more because I don’t know more. All she asks is for me to stand in her place for the day. To stay at her villa in case stalk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter