Before 25

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
03 Careful!  

To soothe her mind, Chaewon is meditating on a bench near the park; eyes closed, shoulders rolled back, knees folded, and hands on the legs and all. Just when her mind is empty, blank, and slightly at peace, she hears someone shuffling towards her. Judging from the pattern of the anxiety-fill panting, Chaewon knew it was her manager.

A moment later, she senses him standing in front of her to catch his breath. Then choppily he asks, “Why did you suddenly change your location? I thought you wanted a sandwich?”

When Chaewon doesn’t answer, the man decides to have a seat next to her. As he observes her side-profile lovingly, he can’t help but be reminded of the lass’s mother. Though it has only been four years since his wife passed away, to him and Chaewon it feels like forever ago.

“What are you doing, Chaewon? I thought you’re not fond of yoga. You used to complain about it taking up all of her time,”

Leisurely, Chaewon turns to look at the older chap. Whose nostalgic eyes were wet and on the brink of shedding tears. Upon seeing that, it made Chaewon sad.

Her father is a family man who wanted a family of six. But unfortunately, when Chaewon’s mother was pregnant with the second baby, she had a miscarriage. Traumatized by the experience, she went and got her tubes tied. Then begin to heavily depend on yoga to avoid thinking of her unborn child.

Although Chaewon’s father wasn’t pleased with the idea, he accepted it like he does everything else.

After they’ve locked eyes for a few, Chaewon breaks the silence and answers him in a soft voice, “I hate it. But it’s the only thing that made mom smiled again,”

Upon hearing her answer, the man silently agrees. However, the civilness between them doesn’t last when Chaewon reaches over to grab him by the collar.

“Oh, that’s right! I almost forgot! Where in Seoul have you been? I almost died while waiting for you at Subway! I thought you wanted to protect me by acting as my manager, dad!”

Startle and wide-eyes, the old man stutters rapidly, “W-what? I-I-I,”

“You said you were on your way but you were late! If you had run faster, she wouldn’t have had the chance to call me a criminal the second time today!”

Blinking, the old man begins to sweat, though his voice remains low, “She? Did you meet with Dr. Kim again?”

“Meet? As if! She stalked and followed me to Subway!” Chaewon folds her arms over her chest and faces forward, nostrils flaring, “Seriously. I wasn’t going to say anything. But she has issues. Her head isn’t on straight. A big-time criminal must have wronged her in the past. Dad, you’re not going to force me to marry her right? I'd be accused of being a criminal every day until the day I die!”

The old man beside her sighs, loud enough for her to hear but not enough to bother her, “Remember what I said, Chaewon. She doesn’t know you. Once she does, she’ll be nicer to you. Don’t forget. You made a promise to your mom that you’ll settle down before 25. Since you’re too busy to go out and date freely, I couldn’t turn down my friend’s offer. His daughter is a good choice. She’s smart, beautiful, and well off,”

“So is Goeun and Jo Yuri,” Chaewon mumbles before snapping out of it, “Anyway, it’s a no-deal. Call off the engagement and marriage. I won’t settle for someone as rude as her. My standards are higher than that,” Chaewon shoots up and drives her hands into her pants pockets. “Let’s go to McDonald's, I’m starving. That woman won’t show up there too, right?”

While Chaewon whispers the last part to herself, the old man obliges and stands from the bench. However, before either one of them can take their first step, the barking of a dog stops them in their tracks. It’s the sound of Chaewon’s ringtone. Feeling around in her pocket, Chaewon fishes out her phone.

Her eyes widen when she sees that it’s Yuri’s number. On the side, her father leans toward her to see who is behind the expression on Chaewon’s face.

Gasping, the lass holds up a ‘one-minute, hold-on-a-minute’ finger then distance herself so she can answer the call in comfort.

“Hello?”

“Is that you, Chaewon?”

Smiling, Chaewon hums, “Yuri, right?”

“Correct,”

“Gosh, it’s been a while since we’ve worked together. I heard you’re back in Seoul,”

“I am. Hey, listen. Are you free tomorrow? Can we meet?”

Chaewon peeks over to her father, who is quietly chewing on his lips as he patiently waits for her. “Huh-oh tomorrow? Sure. Where should we meet?”

“I’m going to hang up. I’ll message you,”

When the other end of the line goes cold, Chaewon slips the device back into her pocket. From the corner of her eyes, she can see the older eyeing her for an explanation. But Chaewon puts it aside and urges them to find something to eat first.

 

At the foot of her father’s hospital bed, Yujin hangs her head and locks her hands as she soundlessly takes a beating from her mother, Misun. Yujin flinches as her mother, a nicely dressed and cultivated woman, smacks her on the arm countless times. “How. Many. Times. Have. I. Told. You. To. Be. Careful. Ahn. Yujin!”

When Yujin couldn’t take the smacking anymore, she wraps her arms around her mother’s to suppress it. Grunting and chuckling, the lass moves closer to her shorter mother and tries to appeal to her, “It hurts, mom. You heard the doctor. He said dad is fine. Dad fainted because of the shock and lack of water and rest. He’s fine, as you can see, he’s sleeping,”

The taller of the two points to the patient lying freely on the bed. And w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter