Engaged

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
07 Engaged  

To hide her quivering lips, Chaewon brusquely squats down to recover the products from the ground. But once she got down, she holds the position a while longer. With shifty eyes, she wonders how she should react and respond to Minju’s bold and abrupt questions. Because other than her beloved father, director Chungha, friend Goeun, Yuri, and probably Yena who she forgot to text back, Chaewon hasn’t had any thoughts of taking care of anyone else. Especially not doctor Kim Minju. 

Slowly, Chaewon stands up with the items in each hand. Her lips slightly part as she had something to say. Minju, however, beat her to it. 

“You seem surprised. Were you unaware of the setup?” 

Bringing the ointment and swab close together, Chaewon peeks down momentarily. Then when their gazes met, Chaewon gulp. “No...No I mean I was aware but…” 

“But?” 

“But...how did you know…?” as the volume of Chaewon’s voice unintentionally shrinks, Minju keeps her clueless for a little longer as she falls back over her table and pops up one of her desk drawers. 

Inside she pulls out a vanilla folder then presents it to Chaewon. 

“I overheard my parents saying they’ve engaged me to Kim Sangho’s daughter Kim Chaewon. So I went through your medical record and saw that your father’s name is Kim Sangho. At first, I had my doubts, but it’s suspicious that on your last visit you suddenly changed your doctor to me. As far as I know, Dr. Kwon was available that day too,” 

Chaewon chuckles a little in disbelief, “So you noticed? But why aren’t you telling me to get lost?” 

Minju crosses her arms over her chest and tilts her head to the side a little, “Why do you think I’ll do that to you? Didn’t you hear me? You have to take responsibility for hurting me,” 

Frowning, mainly due to confusion, Chaewon challenges, “But I thought you never wanted to see me again? So shouldn’t I leave? Besides, this arranged marriage isn’t happening so—”

“Who told you that?” Minju interrupts, “I’m going to marry you,” 

The woman said it so nonchalantly that at this rate, Chaewon couldn’t tell if she was being played for a fool or if the other is genuine. But whatever it was, Chaewon knows she can’t see them being together, ever. “Sorry, but I—”

“Why don’t you talk as you apply the ointment? Exposing a wound like mine for too long won’t be good,” 

Out of frustration, Chaewon squeezes the jar and swab but not hard enough for Minju to notice. 

“Since those fell on the ground, you can throw them out. I’ll get you a tube and cotton ball instead,” while Minju reaches into the kit behind her, Chaewon heaves a soundless sigh. When Minju sees that the swab and ointment are still in Chaewon’s hands, the lass picks them up and drops it into the garbage next to her. She then gives Chaewon a hand sanitizer wipe and has her clean her hands before handling the tube and bouncy balls-size cotton balls. 

While Chaewon is hesitant, Minju takes the new ointment and pushes out some cream onto the ball. Then she grabs a hold of Chaewon’s wrist and pulls the stander closer. In little words as possible, Minju instructs Chaewon to make small circles over the cut and physically leads her. 

While Chaewon grimaces at the ointment’s potent smell, she doesn’t notice their close proximity. Minju can be breathing down her neck if she chooses to. But instead, the doctor studies Chaewon’s soft features and wonders what it was that gave her a first bad impression. 

With a blank expression, Minju asks, “Do you want to fix your nose? I know a good surgeon—”

“Ew, what?!” Chaewon covers her nose and shuffles backward. Except, she didn’t expect to go any farther until Minju steps forward and forces her to back up against the door. Chaewon grunts after the light bang. Then she holds her breath when Minju presses her palms on the door and traps Chaewon in. 

“Miss Kim Chaewon,” Minju begins, quietly, “at what time tomorrow will you be available to come? I’ll need your help changing my bandage again,” 

Chaewon closes her eyes and turns her head when Minju got too close, “I-I’ll think about it! Can-can you get off me first?” 

Amuse by Chaewon’s discomfort, Minju detaches one hand from the door and flicks the lass’ bangs with her index finger, “11 then,” Minju says, smirking before she walks away to cover the cut with a bandaid and puts on her jacket. “I’ll be expecting you at 11 on the dote so don’t be late,” once the jacket is on perfectly, hugging Minju’s curvy figure, the woman looks over her shoulder and smiles. “You’re free to leave now, thanks,” 

Chaewon exhales heavily then glare at Minju’s backside for a second. 

What is wrong with this woman? She thinks quietly to herself. 

 

As Misun helps Naesung into the passenger side of the firetruck, from the hospital’s parking lot, Yujin notices the suspicious activities through the window of Minju’s office. 

She can see that Minju is either standing or sitting on her desk while someone dabs around the woman’s shoulder. Due to the angle, Yujin couldn’t get a good look at the other person’s face, but she can tell someone was in there with Minju. 

“Are you sure you have to go back to work? The doctor said you should rest at home today. Even Yujin isn’t going in,” Misun can be heard nagging Naesung. 

“Don’t worry. We’re just going to talk. I’ll be home before nightfalls,” Naesang reassures in a gentle, weak voice. 

“Don’t worry Mrs. Ahn, I’ll bring Chief back before dinner,” the driver, a fellow firefighter, says. 

“I’ll entrust him to you then,” Misun says before she buckles Naesang up and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter