Birthday Party

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
15 Birthday Party  

Chaewon’s stomach restlessly drops to the ground at the view of Goeun’s lonely back. Though it’s one of the few rear-ends she can easily spot and recognize from a block away, today, it looks rather different. 

Perhaps the cause has to do with Minju dropping the bomb earlier about Goeun having eyes only for Kriesha or the fact that exactly three tables away, Kriesha can be seen dining with two other colleagues. Most likely doctors, as well, as they are all clad in that iconic white jacket. 

Chaewon can feel her stomach doing flips and getting upset, but all she could do now is move towards Goeun and playfully poke her on the shoulder. While Goeun turns to the left, Chaewon breezily plops down on the empty bench to Goeun’s right. With her legs spread out and sitting sideways at the table, Chaewon’s position allowed her to get a better picture of the Nurse. 

“Chaewon~” Goeun greets with her signature eye smile. “How did you know I was here?”

“Oh, I,” Chaewon fondles her own finger for a split second before finishing, “I asked around. The other nurses told me you were on lunch.” 

Bobbing her head, Goeun easily accepts Chaewon’s answer as fact, “Ah, but what are you doing here? Did you come to see me for another x-ray? Should I make another one for you—”

Chaewon holds up a hand, gesturing for Goeun to stop. “Actually, I came for another reason…” Chaewon trails off as she can’t find the confidence to be frank with Goeun. Like how did Goeun come to like Kriesha? Since when? Does Kriesha know? Does the doctor like her back? As many questions jog through her mind, Chaewon is pull back into reality when Goeun claps her hands in front of her. 

“Are you alright, Chaewon?” Goeun asks. 

Of course, she isn’t alright. Not when she just learned that her best friend and crush may potentially like their mutual. 

Despite being from a poor family, Kriesha was very popular in high school and University. From her darn good looks to being a Filipino fluent in the Korean language—even more familiar with the customs and traditions than native Koreans—her friendliness, admirable work ethic, cool personality, and high intelligence. Kriesha was and is the ultimate high school crush. 

And though Chaewon is well aware of that, she can’t help but feel bad that her best friend may have fallen for Kriesha just like all the other boys and girls. Not when she thought Goeun is better than that. 

“Chaewon, should I get you a doctor? You don’t seem well,” Goeun comments, once again pulling Chaewon out of a trance. 

“Huh? I’m fine. It’s just...I…” 

“Well spit it out,” Goeun pushes with a hint of humor in her tone, “what’s bothering you? I have ten minutes left, I’ll listen to you.” 

Like always, Goeun is always the one listening so she hardly talks about herself. She is so selfless to the point that it frustrated Chaewon at times. Clearing , Chaewon finally executes what is at the tip of her tongue, “When you say....the worst the hospital can do is fire you...is it because you’ll lose your job or because you won’t be able to help me anymore or is it because of...Kriesha?” 

The smile on Goeun’s face immediately dissolves like cotton candy coming into contact with water. And that alone is enough of an answer for Chaewon. 

“...how…?” When Goeun’s voice drowns out, Chaewon quickly adds. 

“Four years ago, you turned me down because of Kriesha didn’t you? The friend you were afraid you’ve lost was Kriesha, wasn’t it?” Chaewon chokes a little in the end. She’s disappointed. Not at Goeun but at herself for not knowing and for missing all the signs. 

Back then, whenever Chaewon asks Kriesha to take care of the rookie Nurse Na, Kriesha will blow her off and tell her Goeun will be fine on her own. Kriesha, too, hardly ever smiles when Chaewon brings up Goeun. The corner of her lips would rise but it was never a genuine smile one wears when talking about a good friend. 

It wasn’t only Kriesha but Goeun too would grow gloomy and almost depressed at the topic of Kriesha. It was strange as the duo even attended the same University and were in some classes together. Particularly science and math classes. And even now. Though they work at the same hospital, Chaewon never hears Goeun talk about Kriesha. There were no updates on how work was going or if they had lunch together for old time’s sake. 

It was too quiet on both ends and as their friend, Chaewon feels she should have known and realized it before anyone else. Especially when even an outsider like Minju knew. 

“At work, I’ve caught Nurse Na watching Kriesha numerous times from distances away. And every time she’d look desolated or some sort of sad. Recently I remembered Kriesha introducing us back in our freshmen year. She was a friend Kriesha went to high school with before transferring but afterward, I haven’t seen much of her, though Kriesha said she was also majoring in the medical department.” 

Chaewon spaces out as Minju’s voice plays over and over again in her head. 

Finally, she snaps out of it when a familiar voice greets her sweetly. 

“Kim Chaewon, you’re here too?” Kriesha asks with her colleagues lined up behind her. All three of them holding and carrying their food trays with both hands. 

Hastily, Chaewon perks up in order to hide the fact that she was just stressing over Kriesha. “Oh, hello. Long time no see, Krie—I mean Dr. Chu….” Chaewon stands up awkwardly before Goeun follows suit with a bow of her head. 

The shorter woman smiles

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter