Messy Web

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
08 Messy Web  

Lying on her stomach, Wonyoung reaches under her pillow and fishes out a small photo album. Then she brushes the hard, white cover with her fingers and traces the flower and heart patterns on it. A smile appears on her face warmly as she turns the cripsy pages. Every page is memorable and valuable as it held pictures of her and the girl she’s soon-to-be-engaged with. 

When she arrives at a picture of her and the girl playing on the beach, amusingly putting wet sand on each other’s faces, her smile evidently reaches her eyes. While people love Gwangalli or Haeunde beaches, Wonyoung’s favorite place in the word is Songjeong Beach solely because of the girl with uneven dark bangs and a one-of-a-kind smile. 

To break the slow cycle of her early morning, consisting of mostly reminiscing for old time’s sake, a maid at the door informs her that breakfast is ready and served. 

Downstairs, in the grand dining room with white carpeting and a shimmering glass chandelier, Wonyoung greets her mother and father happily with a good morning each. Albeit her entrance, her old school father with his nose in the morning newspaper doesn’t look up to acknowledge her. Instead, he answers with a question of his own, “And how did my precious daughter sleep last night?” 

The corner of Wonyoung’s lips curl up and she proudly replies, “Good. I dreamed of the beach again last night, dad,” 

Slightly, the male shifts the newspaper aside so he can get a better look at her face, “The beach?” 

This time her mother chimes in, in a low but soft voice, “Wonyoung is referring to Songjeong Beach, dear,” 

Immediately, the man’s face brightens up with an ecstatic smile, “Songjeong Beach?! Where we’d go for family trips? Your favorite place in the world, right?” 

Wonyoung beams harder and hums, “That’s right. My favorite place in the world when all six of us are there together,” 

Shaking a finger in front of her, the man is overjoyed with ideas, “Should we get together again? For your 22nd birthday?” 

Wonyoung leans closer to her father and with delight ask, “Can we?!” 

“We can! No, we should! I will meet with Mister and make it happen!” Quickly the man turns to his wife and wonders, “Dear, Siyeon, can you meet with Madam? I will convince Mister so if you can see to Madam’s schedule, Wonyoung and I will appreciate it,” 

Firmly, the woman bobs her head and with a pressed smile adds, “Enough of that. Let’s eat before the food gets cold,” 

  
 

With her bag hanging across her front and back, Wonyoung approaches the backseat of the black car blissfully.

However, when she got into reaching and opening range of the car door, the rolling down of the black tinted window stops her. Slowly her mother is revealed looking somber. Except for when Wonyoung came in second place for her swimming competition and one point away from a perfect score on her final English exam, it’s been a while since she’s seen that expression on her mother’s face. And the older is unbeatable when it comes to her good looks. So to see that look again worries Wonyoung. 

“Is everything alright, mom?” Wonyoung asks, bending over a little so she can see her mother’s face clearly. 

“Honey, can you accompany mom to a place for a little while?” 

Wonyoung blinks, “You want to stop somewhere on our way to work, mom?” 

The older woman nods, causing her short locks near the side of her face to fall forward. “Just for a short moment,” 

  
 

Wonyoung stands back soundlessly as her mother sets a banquet on top of a tombstone. On the granite plate, she reads the name Kim Suwon to herself, curious who the decease is. 

When her mother steps back to stand evenly next to her, Wonyoung turns to study her mother’s profile. Perhaps she could get a hint through the other’s expression. However, when Siyeon only wears a blank face, Wonyoung further questions why they are there. 

“Mom,” Wonyoung calls softly, to remind the woman that she’s there in case the older needed a shoulder to cry on. 

“Honey, this is Kim Suwon,” Siyeon begins carefully, “Chaewon’s mom,” 

Turning back to the tombstone, Wonyoung feels slightly bad for Chaewon. She knew strongly how much Chaewon was in despair when she lost her mother. It’s too bad, Wonyoung never got to meet Suwon as a grown-up to create memories with her. Only blurry images of Suwon from afar and the woman’s low but clear voice comes to mind when Wonyoung ponders about it. 

“Is today auntie’s birthday?” Wonyoung queries, “Because it's not her anniversary,” 

Without a doubt, Wonyoung remembers the date clearly because Chaewon cried hours on end over the phone with her. And the older wouldn’t stop crying until she’s fallen asleep listening to Wonyoung’s consolation speech. 

“There’s something you should know, honey. Something about my past that I haven’t told anyone. Not even your dad,” 

Wonyoung’s heartbeat gradually picks up. She muses if this is the secret she’s familiarized herself with all along. 

“The truth is...Chaewon is not your cousin,” 

Wonyoung’s pupils shake briefly. 

“And—”

“Stop!” Wonyoung orders, “I know... I’ve known for a while now,” 

With a half gasp, Siyeon grabs onto Wonyoung’s arm sternly, “You knew?! H-how?” 

Wonyoung shakes her head, fighting the tears back with a dry throat, “I was wrong, mom. I didn’t mean to spy on you and Mr. Kim. Ple

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter