Flounder

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
12 Flounder  

“Court, dismiss,” Wonyoung’s chief judge says, allowing everyone to breathe and move in their seats. 

In the hallway, while still wearing her silky black gown, Wonyoung’s reels around in her heels. Her mind, for the first time, is full of thoughts that had nothing to do with work. With her birthday coming up, she wonders if Yujin and her family will be able to join them by the beachside like usual. 

Before Wonyoung takes another staggering step, she hears her father from across the hall. Upon glancing up she sees her mom and dad in their robes, standing side by side. It’s a beautiful sight. Something she wants for her and Yujin one day. 

“Shall we have lunch together?” Jitae asks with a mature smile. 

Wonyoung nods. Lunch with her parents was always pleasant. It’s the perfect time to catch up as work tends to keep them all very busy. 

At one of the round glass tables that can seat up to five, Wonyoung loudly blows and sips on her potato soup. Across from her, her father and mother observe her with loving eyes. They smile when she smiles and blows when she blows. 

“Eat a lot,” Siyeon, her mother, urges kindly. 

As Wonyoung puts another spoonful into , she quickly swallows and asks, “By the way, mom and dad, did you both know Chaewon and Yujin were engage to the same person?” 

Although they heard her loud and clear, her nonchalant tone makes them frown, “Wh-what?” Jitae asks. 

“Say that again,” Siyeon adds. 

Wonyoung her spoon shortly, “I don’t know the full story but Chaewon and Yujin are arranged to marry someone name Minju. Mom and dad, do you know anything about it?” 

Jitae shakes his head then looks over to his wife. “Brother-in-law sets Chaewon to marry someone too?” 

Siyeon freezes while Jitae waits for an answer. “I-I don’t know... Where did you hear this from?” The older asks looking only at Wonyoung. 

“Chaewon and Yujin,” she answers then continues, “Mom and dad, let me say this once. I want to marry Yujin. Chaewon is like a cousin to me and she’ll only be that, a cousin to me. So mom,” Wonyoung turns slightly to capture her mother’s full attention, “whatever promises you made to Chaewon’s mother. Please forget about them. This is the first and last I’ll ask of you.” 

After a few more spoonfuls, Wonyoung excuses herself and asks that they proceed without her. Once she’s turned the corner, Jitae gazes over to his wife with red eyes. “What is our daughter talking about, dear? Did you do something without consulting me and her first?” 

Siyeon sighs, “For the longest time you’ve been leaning towards your Senior’s daughter, but I...I wanted someone else for our Wonyoung.” 

Jitae leans closer to her and in a low voice asks, “Who?” 

“Chaewon,” Siyeon answers with a hint of pain in her facials. Jitae blinks and his head slightly but before he can open his mouth, Siyeon fills him in, “Sorry. I haven’t been completely honest with you. Chaewon and our daughter aren’t cousins. Sangho is not my older brother. He was someone who took care of me when I ran away from the orphanage.” 

As Jitae process Siyeon’s words, his bushy brows only grow closer together. “What are you—”

“Before I met you and for many years I’ve only had my eyes on Sangho. He was my everything. I wanted to be someone amazing to him. But when I confessed my feelings to him, he turned me down. He said we could only keep meeting if I’d accept and see him as an older brother. Since I couldn’t have him, I thought our daughter could have Chaewon. So I asked Chaewon’s mom for Chaewon’s hand. She didn’t give me an answer because she wanted us to wait until Chaewon was older. But it’s too late now. She’s no longer with us anymore.” 

It takes a few seconds for Jitae to truly wrap his head around all that’s been said. And when he did, all he can do is shake his head and asks, “What have you done? How could you and brother—Sangho lie to me?” 

Siyeon turns to face her husband, putting both hands on his knees. “Honey, we’ll finish talking about this when we’re at home. Right now we’re at work so—” 

The male pushes Siyeon off of him. “Did you two do anything?”

“Honey—”

Jitae’s eyes were red and dangerous now, “While I was blind and deaf, did you two go behind my back and do shameless things? Did you!” 

As his voice echos and draws in attention, Siyeon tries not to avoid eye contact with fellow judges and subordinates. Instead, she focuses on her husband’s fury eyes. “Let’s talk later. I’m getting up first.” While Siyeon leaves first, with her head up, Jitae tries to calm himself. Then he quickly notices the curious stares. 

“Sorry, everyone. Enjoy your meals,” he says before getting up himself then leaving the cafeteria altogether. 

 

 Songjeong Beach under the night sky is just as beautiful as Wonyoung can remember it during the day. Albeit it being her first time visiting alone and at night, the lukewarm sand under her bare feet makes her less lonely. With one hand carrying her heels, her other arm allows her dark purple blazer to drape over it. Although the beach’s breeze gets extremely cold at night, it soothes and comforts her. Particularly when she’s got a lot on her mind. 

A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter