Miss

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
17 Miss  

“Mom, Chaewon fell asleep and I’m done with my homework so can we go now?” A twelve-year-old Wonyoung asks as she packs her textbook, binder, and writing utensils into her purple backpack with pink flowers. Glancing over to Chaewon who was sound asleep on her bed, drooling, the girl smiles to herself before quietly leaving the room. 

“Mom?” 

When she didn’t hear her mother respond, she tiptoes to the living room and kitchen. To her surprise, her uncle Mr. Kim and her mother were not in the living room like they were supposed to. Creeping back into the hallway and farther back, she hears subdue chattering. 

Through the crack door, Wonyoung steps closer when she hears her mother’s voice. As she readily opens the door and calls for her mom, the sound of weeping stops her immediately. 

“I can’t do this anymore,” her mother cries softly, “it’s so hard pretending we’re brother and sister. It’s difficult for me to accept that you only see me as a sister. Please, Sangho, can’t you pretend I’m Suwon and spare me some of your affection?” 

“Siyeon, I-I can’t do that—”

Wonyoung couldn’t believe her ears and as if their affair was gravity, she finds herself being pull closer and closer to the door.  

Siyeon sniffles, “If you won’t love me then at least let me love a part of you.” 

There is a moment of silence before Sangho questions her, “What do you mean?” 

“Promise me you will let Chaewon marry Wonyoung once they’re grown up. I’ve mentioned it to Suwon before but she said they were too young then.”

There is hesitation in Sangho’s voice as he objects quickly, “You know that’s impossible. We’ve raised them as cousins. I’m against—”

“Once they’re older, they’ll understand. Promise me you will make sure Chaewon understands later. I want us to be family. Not a lie but a real one.” 

“...Siyeon.” 

Wonyoung’s eyes begin to water but as she hears stomping towards the door, she quickly fleed back into Chaewon’s room. Inside, she sets her backpack down on the ground and uses it as a pillow as she lies down and faces Chaewon’s bed. A couple of seconds later, she hears the door creak open wider behind her. Quickly she shuts her eyes when her mother approaches and runs a hand through her wavy hair. 

“Wonyoung and I should get going. I signed her up for a swimming class in the evening so we won’t visit much anymore. I’ll have my driver bring her to the car, but if you can consider what we talked about, I’ll truly appreciate it.” 

When Wonyoung opens her eyes, she realizes she had fallen asleep at her desk. Something she hasn’t done in a long time after her mother scolded her about it being unhealthy. Stretching, Wonyoung lets out a sigh as she rests her chin in her hand and sets her elbow on the table. “I’m dreaming about the past again,” she mumbles to herself. 

Peeking to the window on her left, she notices that it was dark out already. Tapping her cheek quietly, she wonders what Yujin may be up to. 

- Songjeong Beach 9 years ago -

It was Wonyoung’s thirteenth birthday but nothing celebratory about it. She’s just lost her best friend to the most popular girl at her school. The boy she has a crush on thinks she’s a freak for talking about being the Little Mermaid during swimming class. Rumors of her having her first period spread like wildfire at school. Her parents are so busy with work, trying to get promotions, that they brought their work cases with them as they came to the beach to celebrate their daughter’s birthday. It’s her birthday but she’s enjoying the warm sand and blue beach alone. 

While rocking herself back and forth gently, moving to the music playing in her head, she hears someone sits down beside her. With a turn of her head, she sees a kid around her age. Though she can’t tell if its a girl or boy. 

“What’s a birthday girl like you doing all alone out here? Shouldn’t you be inside eating cake and laughing it up with your parents?” 

Wonyoung stares at the kid for a few seconds. “How do you know it’s my birthday…?” 

“My parents and I were having lunch in the same restaurant when your mother came in with the vanilla cake and they sing to you the birthday song. They’re your parents, right? The couple you came with,” the kid says, pointing toward said business. 

Wonyoung nods with a growing smile, “Yeah, that’s my mom and dad.” 

“I can see why you’re pretty. Your mom and dad are good looking themselves.” Wonyoung hums in agreement. Although she’s their child, she can’t deny that her parents are in fact appealing. Before Wonyoung can thank the other kid, who she now knows is a girl because of her voice, the girl smiles and asks, “What did you wish for? If you don’t mind telling me.” 

Wonyoung is speechless, both by the other’s straightforwardness and how long has the girl been watching her in the restaurant. “I um...I hm…” 

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” 

“I...I wished for...a F

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter