Love Triangle

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
14 Love Triangle  

Chaewon can see a hint of trauma and humiliation on Mr. Ahn’s face as he awkwardly sinks back down onto his chair without further notice. It was probably the man’s first time experiencing something so crude yet so true from someone around the same age as his daughter. However, what churned Chaewon’s stomach isn’t the gloomy expression on Mr. Ahn’s face or everyone’s fast approaching discomfort being in the presence of Kim Minju but the look of disgust Mrs. Ahn was wearing. 

It seems the mighty Minju has just offended the older woman. Whether by mercilessly telling her husband off or blatantly rejecting her daughter in front of everybody, Chaewon couldn’t tell. Though she expects hell to break loose at any given second. 

Misun slams the table’s surface with an open palm, sending waves of vibrations across the whole furniture, “Sorry but what gives you the right to speak in such a bad manner? If you don’t want to marry my daughter, you could have said it nicely. Why would you call her stupid?” Exhaling a sharp scoff, Misun grimly goes after her Senior-like-sister Eunkyung who is Minju’s mother. “Sorry if I’ve offended you, Senior, but your daughter needs to be told—”

Eunkyung clicks her tongue, loudly, “How dare you! If you act like this, I’m afraid I’m going to have to break my promise to you, Misun.” 

As Eunkyung trails off to curse under her breath, Misun scoffs before erupting in laughter—a laughter of disbelief and ultimate betrayal. 

From across the table, Chaewon’s gaze remains lock on Minju. But unlike earlier, when she was calm and all ears, this time her heart is racing. Beating super fast for Minju. She’s afraid the lass has gotten herself into a very bad spot and to a point of no return. 

Mrs. Ahn is clearly not someone to be messed with. If she can talk over her Senior like that, she can do and say anything to Minju. 

“Is that a threat, Shin Eunkyoung?” Misun asks, addressing Minju’s mother in her maiden name. There was nothing more disrespectful than calling a Senior by their full name, let alone their first. Especially in a situation as uptight and fierce as this one. 

“Misun, you—” before Eunkyoung can say anything, her own daughter cuts in for her. 

Smirkingly, Minju challenges, “Don’t you get it? Even if Senior Eunkyoung keeps her promise made to you, do you think I’ll willingly marry your daughter and become your daughter-in-law? Why do I have to help her keep her promise to you? Because I’m her daughter? Or because we’re your pets?” Minju moves away from the table, this time striding around the whole table slowly. 

It was intimidating and no one dared stand up to her. Not even her own parents who Chaewon can tell would rather be dead than be here and drowning in embarrassment. 

Throwing her head back, Minju continues to walk slowly as she continues, “We owe you nothing and yet you want me to be with whoever you choose. Whoever you think would look cute with me. Whoever you owe your words to. Well, surprise. I don’t have fur, I have hair. I’m just as human as you morons,” Minju stops dead behind Chaewon, leaning forward until her hands were gripping onto the back of Chaewon’s chair and her chin nearly resting on the crown of the sitter’s head. “All the time you’ve all spent dressing us up and spoiling us are over. You’ve played house long enough. It’s our turn now.” Minju bends farther down and over Chaewon’s shoulder, making the sitter flinch. “So can all you parents get out? We’ll attempt to clean up your mess for you. Something none of you have tried to do.” 

 

Chaewon gulp, wanting to grab a hold of Wonyoung’s hand but the other is across from her. For some unclear reason, Minju had successfully assigned the remaining four their seats. Chaewon is next to Minju with Wonyoung on the other side and directly before her. Yujin is beside Wonyoung and in front of Minju. 

Minju’s arms were folded when she sluggishly blink and urge, “Any objections?” 

“...about what?” Yujin asks faintly. Her voice was so soft, Chaewon had to furrow her brows at Wonyoung as a sign of needing help. After the tallest mouth the word to her, Minju speedily intercepts with an answer. 

“The person next to us is the person we’re marrying,” Minju says matter-of-factly causing Wonyoung’s jaw and Chaewon and Yujin’s hearts to drop.  No one saw it coming and even Chaewon didn’t expect it. Through their run-ins, Minju has proven herself to be strict and direct but this is beyond Chaewon's imagination. 

And while she is conflicted about the whole arranged marriage idea, she’s certain Wonyoung being friend-zoned by Yujin and Yujin’s unrelatable feelings for Minju wouldn’t perish like that. However, to Minju, it all sounded too simple, easy, and clear. As if she knows it’s going to happen or she's going to make it happen. 

“Why do you think that…?” Chaewon asks, her first question and words in a long time, “You sound so sure about it…” 

The corner of Minju’s li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter