Why

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
10 Why  

In front of the fire station, Jitae’s driver handed one of the firefighters a bag of refreshments. Greeting one by one, Jitae thank the men and women for their services, until his gaze lands on an old friend. “Senior!” he calls to Ahn Naesang. 

As the older walks over to him, he stretches and wraps an arm around to pat the younger on the back. Then with the biggest smile, he could muster, he says, “It’s been a while, huh, Jitae? What brings you here to the station?” 

Bowing once more, Jitae gleefully answers, “Don’t worry, it’s not work-related. I just came to visit as I’ve missed you. In fact, Wonyoung misses Yujin a lot too. How is everyone in your family? Has Yujin started working with you yet?” 

Naesang smiles at the thought of Yujin, “Don’t ask,” 

When Jitae laughs at the older man’s depleted tone, the wrinkles around his eyes came to life and made him more attractive. “Why? Why? Is she still full of energy?” 

“Yeah. That foolish girl saves everyone and everything. She risks her life even for insects.” 

Jitae smiles. Even if he forgets everything, he will never forget Yujin’s fun and active character. As a matter of fact, he treasures his Senior’s daughter just as much as Wonyoung. 

“Oh, right. Senior, our Wonyoung’s birthday is right around the corner. What do you say we meet up to celebrate it like we used to?”

Naesang pressed his dry lips together, “Yujin, Misun, and I also miss Wonyoung and want to see how beautiful she has become, but.” 

Lowering his head, Jitae urges, “But?” 

“As I raised and watched Yujin become the person she is today, I wonder if it was right for us to promised them to each other. I think our Wonyoung is too good for Yujin—”

Jitae nudges the older with a disbelief chortle, “What are you saying, Senior. Yujin is great too. They’re the perfect match. Also, it was her idea to get together again. You know Wonyoung adored Yujin.” 

The older keeps a distant face and softly replies, “Jitae, don’t take this the wrong way but I would be the luckiest man to have Wonyoung as my daughter-in-law. However, as a father, I want Yujin and Wonyoung to have the freedom to choose who they are with. When I see Yujin run into burning homes and collapsing buildings, I get hurt and scared.  Then I would wonder how her mother and significant other would feel if one day something happens to her. Since Wonyoung is like a daughter to me too, I wouldn’t want to see her get hurt too. Do you understand?” 

The taller heaves a sigh, “I know what you mean, Senior, but if it’s Wonyoung’s destiny not being able to live a full life with her partner then what can we do? Our Wonyoung really loves Yujin.” 

“They haven’t seen each other in nearly a decade.”

“Yet, all Wonyoung talks about is Yujin. Let’s have them meet again, huh? If Yujin feels the same towards our Wonyoung, you won’t stop them right?” 

Naesang smiles shortly, “No. If it’s mutual, I’ll support them. I won’t let you stop them either if one day you changed your mind.”

Jitae chuckles, “That day will never come. I want only Yujin for our Wonyoung.” 

The two men exchange warm grins until Naesang exhales worryingly. 

 

Putting on her boots, Yujin exclaims that she’s leaving and will be back soon. However, once she wraps her fingers around the doorknob, she hears her mom running out to meet her. 

“Hey, hey, hey! Where are you going?” 

Yujin blinks as her mom hurries over to her and seizes her by the arm. With an innocent laugh, Yujin calmly answers, “I’m stopping by work first to check on daddy and see if he needs anything. Then I’m going over to Commander Oh’s place to see his new puppy. Afterward to the animal shelter to see if Bongbong and Mint have been adopted yet. If not, I’m going to pressure Old Lady Lee or Old Man Goo to adopt them.” 

The older woman smacks her daughter on the arm out of frustration, “Seriously! What about Minju then? Have you made any time to go meet her yet?” 

Yujin hums, “I have but it seems like she likes someone else.” 

“What!” 

“Don’t worry, mom. I’ll win and marry her. Minju is so beautiful, I won’t let anyone else have her.” 

Stuttering Misun pulls Yujin closer and questions her, “What do you mean someone else? Her mom told me she’s single! 

Shaking her head, Yujin shrugs, “I wouldn’t know since she told that to you and not me. But I do know that there’s someone else. I’ve met her.” 

“Me-Met her!”

“Yeah, I don’t know what she does but it seems Minju's placed under a spell.” 

“A spell?!” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter