Divorce

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
19 Divorce  

Chaewon watches as Minju slams the door shut then turns around to face her, “Let me take you home after I grab my jacket.” 

Soundlessly, Minju glides passed her and retrieves the dark blue denim jacket hanging off the pushed-in chair behind her desk. The lass then throws the jacket on, fluff her hair out, and grab her debit card out of her creamy white bag. “Ready to go?” She asks, her voice and volume so tranquil that Chaewon is almost fooled. Nearly doubting if what she had witnessed earlier reality. 

“Wait,” Chaewon cuts in as Minju slides her card into one of her jacket’s pockets. “What was that about? You and Dr. Kwon. Did she...really break your heart?” 

“Who wants to know?” Minju challenges, crossing her arms across her chest. 

“Uh, me?” Chaewon answers, unsurely. For some unexplainable reason, Minju chuckles at her if-you-call-it-that-answer instead of finding her nosiness annoying. 

“Well, Me, it’s all in the past now. University drama,” Minju says with a playful grin. An expression that both excites and terrifies Chaewon. 

Before Chaewon has always taken the Doctor for someone too serious and literal for her own good, however, seeing that Minju is capable of jokes and having a fun side, the woman has just grown more tolerable. Then again, Chaewon has come to appreciate Minju’s rude and spiteful side because even if it can be cruel, at least she’s honest and fair. That is when she’s actually in the know of things. 

Slowly, Chaewon folds her own arms and leans against Minju’s desk, “But if it’s all in the past you wouldn’t have done what you did out there.” Despite it being a harmless comment, Chaewon notices a change in Minju’s eyes. As if all the clowns in her have been stripped, unwillingly. 

With cold and desiccated eyes, Minju clicks her tongue and heaves a hefty exhalation. “Call it jealousy then because I didn’t like the sight of you being with her. Ever since she and I have fallen in and out of love, Eunbi has always gotten everything I’ve always wanted. A good-paying job, rich and nice family, nice house, nice car, loyal and intelligent friends, gorgeous girlfriends, me, and then you. Her favorite patient.” 

Chaewon has to admit, never in her life does she expect Dr. Kim to keep coming at her with curve-flattery-balls. “So, that means—”

“No, it doesn’t mean I’m pretending to like you,” Minju interrupts, beating Chaewon to her own concern, “I like you because you’re fair, courageous, and considerate. Qualities, I’ve been waiting two decades for, to see if my parents could ever pick up. Unfortunately, I’ve just realized that it’s too late for them to start practicing said traits.” 

Chaewon can’t say she faults Minju for losing hope and being disappointed in her parents. The couple isn’t exactly sunshine and rainbows. They’re users and selfish, and Minju clearly despises that about them. Chaewon would know. It was the impression she’s given Minju when they’ve first met. 

 

In bed and in her pink, silky PJs, Wonyoung rolls over onto her back as an exhausting sigh leaves her system. Her eyes and head ached from all the work cases she’s been reviewing for the past six hours or so, trying to memorize every detail to the T and mainly to keep her mind off a certain someone who may never return her feelings let alone her phone calls and text messages. 

Spreading her arms out, Wonyoung moves her arms up and down to make an angel in her puffy blanket. Then from her desk, she hears a ding. It’s her phone, notifying her she’s got a new message. She sits up slowly, wondering who can be messaging her at 10 PM. Dragging her tired self to the table, she silently prays it isn’t about work because her head already feels like it’s about to explode.

Upon the touch of her fingertip, the screen lights up shortly and she sees that it’s from an unknown number. Frowning, she draws the device closer to open up the message. 

Unknown Number: It’s me. Flounder. I’m outside your castle. 

Wonyoung’s eyes widen as she throws a long coat over her PJs and heads for the exit. Down the stairs, she ignores her parents’ dampen moods as they sit quietly but intensively in the living room. 

When Siyeon notices her daughter jetting out of their home, she tries to call out to Wonyoung. But only the housekeeper seems to have heard her. “Where is that girl going at this hour? Maid, let the driver know I’m going out—”

Before she can finish her sentence, Jitae stretches out his arm and snatches her by the wrist. “Answer me, Siyeon. Are you really going to divorce me?” 

The woman sighs and rips his hand off of her, “You seriously want to talk about this right now? After our daughter just stormed out of the house?!” 

“What differences will it make if we get a divorce?! You two will have to leave anyway since this is my house!” Jitae shouts back. Then as his anger dies down and he’s able to calm hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter