Responsibility

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
06 Responsibility  

“You're all dismissed,” Minju says to the two women and three men standing in front of her. After the interns bow and exit the room, Minju falls back against her seat. She winches when her shoulder touches the chair and sends a painful sting through her body. Furrowing her brows, Minju tries not to become angry at the thought of Kim Chaewon. 

Slowly, Minju removes her white jacket to check on the bandaged gash. Since the cut was right where her shoulder curves down, the bandages had to go under her armpit and it was uncomfortable as she wanted nothing constantly pressing against her arm and side. 

Minju combs her hair back then focuses on work. It’s the best way to get her mind off of trivial matters and reassures her. However, before she gets carried away, she hears a knock at the door. 

Since it’s open, she can see who it is. The only issue, though, is that she had no idea who that person is. 

“May I help you?” Minju asks the stranger at the door. A woman around her age and is in firefighter’s uniform. 

“You’re Kim Minju, right? Kim Inkwon and Eunkyung’s daughter,” 

Minju sets the pink highlighter in her hand down and intertwines her fingers over the tabletop. “I am. Why do you ask?” 

Seeing how a grand smile is drawn across the face of the one standing, Minju isn’t sure how to react. But she keeps calm and still and lets the other fill her in.  

“I’m Ahn Yujin,” the lass introduces, “the daughter of Fire Chief Ahn Naesang and the winner of Miss Korea 1994 Jeon Misun,” 

Minju blinks. 

“What does that have to do with Kim Inkwon the debtor, Eunkyung owner, and store manager of an impoverish department store, and me?” 

Yujin’s eyes are shifty. Though she manages to keep her smile, she couldn’t help but asks for clarification, “Debtor...impoverish department store…? Your parents—” 

“If you’re here because they owe you a debt or favor then I suggest talking to them directly. I don’t make or fulfill deals on their behalves, Miss,”

Speechless, Yujin begins to stutter, “I-I think there’s been a mis-misunderstanding. I’m here because my mom said—” 

“If that’s not it then forget it. Sorry, but can you leave? You don’t have an appointment and I'm working right now so you’re wasting my time,” 

Awkwardly, Yujin takes a step back and bows with an apology, “Sorry for bothering you,” 

  
 

When Chaewon storms into the two-bedroom apartment that she and her father shares, she catches him in the middle of eating ramen at the kitchen table. And scoffs as her temper rises. How does he look so innocent after sending her that kind of text? 

“What do you mean you’ll buy the Summer house if I marry Kim Minju? Didn’t you hear a word I said? She’s a witch dad, a witch!”

Chaewon was taken aback when her father heaves a sigh and lowers his chopsticks. 

Then in a subdued voice, she hears him ask, “Have you eaten? Sit. I’ll cook you some,” 

As Chaewon tries to get a word in, he heavily gets up and goes to make her ramen. Seeing how defeated her father was, Chaewon is certain that something was up. The old man is known to be depressed and stressed but he would usually smile in front of her as if nothing was wrong. 

Even with the food sitting under her nose, Chaewon didn’t have much of an appetite as she watches her father slurp his noodles.

Chaewon couldn’t shake off the feeling that something was wrong. Ever since he went to fix her her meal, he hasn’t uttered a single sound and word except ‘here’ as he set her bowl down. She knows how seriously her father takes promises made to her mother but she can’t understand him acting out of character. 

Usually, the man would make sure Chaewon gets her fills before he tastes a drop of water. Or he’ll run to her in less than five minutes. And more importantly, he’ll never force her to do anything she doesn’t like or make arrangements without her knowledge. 

Chaewon hovers a hand over her father’s wrist and grabs it gently, “Manager—”

Quickly the old man tore his forearm away from her and causes the soup to spill a little, “Why?! Why can’t you just marry someone good and be happy?!” Chaewon’s eyes are wide as she didn’t expect him to become angry. The older takes a deep breath and with a shaky voice adds, “Please Chaewon, I beg you. If you keep your words you made to your mom, I’ll keep mine,” 

Chaewon sighs and hides both her hands under the table. “Are you talking about the Summer house again? I wanted us to stay there together—”

“I’m going to stay here,” the male says sternly, “I will see if Kim Minju wants to move in with you,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter