Lost

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
05 Lost  

“What are you going to do?” While Wonyoung’s question plays back in her head, Chaewon confidently wears a smile as she stops in front of Minju’s residence. 

“Since she loves the law so much, I’m going to fight her with the law,” 

Clearing , Chaewon rings the doorbell and patiently wait for an answer. After two or three seconds, a voice finally came to the door. And thank the lord,  it wasn’t Minju. 

“Who’s there?” 

Smiling Chaewon answers, “Is Kim Minju in? I’m an acquaintance of her,” 

On the other side of the speaker, Chaewon hears the older woman sighs, “She’s packing right now and is on her way to work. Is it important?” 

With shifty eyes, Chaewon wonders if the situation calls for any urgency. As she takes a moment to respond, she hears Minju’s voice through the speaker and it nearly gives her a heart attack. 

“What now?”

Albeit Minju not sounding mad but even friendly, Chaewon’s heart unknowingly skips a beat. Maybe she isn’t ready to challenge the rude Radiologist after all. 

“Uh… Nothing. Nevermind,” as she turns to leave, she hears the other stops her. 

“Stay where you are. I’m coming out to meet you,” 

Chaewon puffs out her cheeks in uncertainty. Wondering if Minju is going to accuse her again or follow up on that threat “don’t know what I’ll do to a pathetic wimp like you”. As beads of sweat cover her forehead, Chaewon forms fist with her hands. Silently, she prays that Minju doesn’t see that her confidence is delicate. 

Yes, she came to confront Minju. 

And yes, she wants to teach the other a lesson. 

However, it was a lot easier said than done. 

Since Wonyoung was her audience and witness, it felt right to put up a front and boast then. But as a gate stands between her and Minju, Chaewon was suddenly reminded of all the things said to her. 

As the gate creaks open it lets out a breeze that washes over her. With death lingering in the air. However, once their gazes meet, the air is utterly free of intimidation and prejudication.  

Quietly, Chaewon studies the beautiful woman in front of her. Instead of her professional apparel at work, Minju was in a sleeveless pink tennis dress, tennis shoes, and a white elastic visor. In her right hand, Chaewon makes out a black duffle bag. 

Suddenly, all that jogs through her mind is if Minju plays tennis?

“You’re drooling,” Minju states, nonchalantly, forcing Chaewon to panic and poke around , only to find that nothing is or was ever there. Before Chaewon can hide, embarrassed out of her mind, she sees a smirk crawl onto Minju’s face and she wonders why. “If you have nothing better to do than to cause problems, would you like to join me for a round of squash instead?” 

Chaewon flutters her eyelids nervously. What is Minju thinking inviting her out for a game? She thought that the lass hated her guts? 

When Chaewon didn’t answer, Minju holds the bag up to her. Motioning for her to take and carry it. In which she did without questions. 

Minju then tells her to keep up, leaving Chaewon to sigh first in defeat before dragging her feet. 

 

Sweaty and beat, Chaewon grimaces every time the lime ball bounces off the wall, leaving crisp thuds. She swears Minju’s hits can puncture holes in the wall. 

Though Chaewon’s intention was to put up a good fight, the other’s lightning fast and violent strikes were hard to return. So for the past twenty minutes, Chaewon has done nothing but dodges the speedy ball. 

Unfortunately for Chaewon, every serve left Minju more merciless than the last.

Chaewon sighs, reaching her breaking point. 

She can no longer count how many times she nearly got hit. And it wasn’t like she at sports. She considers herself above average. And is only losing because of the traveling echoes and fast ball, endlessly bouncing about the room. For some reason, the sphere object would vanish the moment it made contact with Minju’s racket. 

As Chaewon wonders how much longer she can endure the humiliation, she fails to see the ball flying full speed at her. Before she can duck or move, she feels a strong sting near her left brow. Grunting, Chaewon covers the left side of her face and glare at Minju. 

With one eye, she observes as the ball roll over and gets stepped on by the doctor. Minju places the bat over her shoulder and sneers, “What’s wrong? Are you going to cry?” 

Chaewon lowers her hands onto her side and scoffs, “Never. I’ll never cry because of the likes of you! Give me the ball! It’s my turn to serve!” 

Instantly, Minju wipes the smirk off her face and becomes expressionless. Then she takes a step back and points downward with her chin, “Come get it then,” 

Chaewon exhales sharply through her nose, then stomps over to retrieve the ball. Once she’s back on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter