Thank You

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
11 Thank You  

Once the phone leaves her hand and is now in Kriesha’s, Minju watches the other’s eyes shift aimlessly. As if she recognizes it and is thinking of an excuse she hopes Minju will buy. Minju knows how private Kriesha is. Despite their friendship of eight years, Minju only knows what Kriesha wants her to. And Minju being the not-so-into-others-business don’t challenge Kriesha to open up either. 

With that mentally, Minju expects Kriesha to either lie or dodge the question. However, when the Cardiologist reply, Minju couldn’t help but listen intensively, “Remember how after high school graduation, I changed my mind about not attending University with you? Back then, I said I hated school and learning wasn’t fun. The truth was, it wasn’t because I didn’t want to go but because I couldn’t afford to go. But through a program, I was lucky enough to have a funder pay for my tuition and classes in exchange for volunteer hours. That funder was Kim Sangho, Kim Chaewon’s father.” 

Though a variety of questions raced through her mind, Minju didn’t know where to start. What program is Kriesha talking about? Why is Kim Sangho a funder? Do Kriesha and Chaewon know each other well? Is Kriesha aware that Chaewon has been coming to the hospital for scandalous hospital notes? And finally, why was her number on Chaewon’s phone? 

“Then…” Minju begins only to be shut down by Kriesha. 

“Before I transferred to the same high school as you and Senior Eunbi, I went to school with Chaewon. We weren’t close but became closer once I began volunteering. Sangho would send Chaewon out to take care of me because Chaewon enjoyed those kinds of activities. Helping the elderly, serving food to the homeless, setting up tables and delivering rice and logs to the unfortunate. Chaewon is a busybody, she flies around during those times to help anyone and everyone and would always lose her phone. Since we rely on each other and often went together, putting my number on her lock screen made sense at the time.” Kriesha replies, smiling at the thought of it. 

For a calmer soul like Kriesha, Chaewon was the life at parties. She made events more enjoyable whether she knew everyone or not. 

Minju stares out into the empty space beside Kriesha and wonders if she had been too hard on Chaewon. However, she quickly snaps out of her trance and asks, “But why is it still your number? Didn’t this volunteering stuff happened back in freshman year?” 

Kriesha shrugs, “Not sure. The last time I spoke to her was the middle of last year.” 

Minju her head in disbelief, “We’re in August.” 

The Cardiologist raises her shoulders once more. “I don’t know. You’ll have to ask her.” 

“You know I know her?” 

Kriesha scoffs with a half-smile, “If you didn’t you wouldn’t have her phone, would you?” While Minju mentally curses herself for it, Kriesha satisfyingly adds, “Besides, everyone knows a Kim Chaewon has been visiting your office lately. The rumors just haven’t reached your ears because everyone is afraid of you.” 

Minju flattens her eyes, “And so they should be. I’m their superior after all.” 

Kriesha sighs and mumbles, “This is why I’ve been your only friend for the past eight years.” 

  
 

As the sky darkens, outside the hospital and searching for her missing phone, Chaewon pins her front locks against her face so she can see better. Meanwhile, Sangho watches from the side with his hands on his hips. Heaving a sigh, he strides over to stand on her left side, “Chaewon, I checked with the hospital and no one turned in a lost phone. Let’s go for now and get you ready for tonight’s dinner. Afterward, I’ll come back here and look. If I can’t find it, I’ll buy you another one.” 

Chaewon is reluctant to replace it so easily as it holds memories as far back as high school. So in a thin voice, she requests, “Can’t you go alone? Once I find it, I’ll join you.”

Sangho clicks his tongue, “See, see, see. I knew you were up to no good. Your phone isn’t missing, is it? You hid it somewhere and is lying to me so you can avoid the gathering aren’t you?”

Chaewon groans, “Wow Manager! You’re too much! Do you seriously see me in a bad light now because I went against marrying that Kim Minju?” 

“You!” Sangho snaps but hastily holds back, “We don’t have time to argue here. Let’s go for now. After dinner, even if I have to go to the end of the world I’ll bring your phone back to you in one piece.” 

A group of hot air escapes Chaewon’s mouth as she convinces herself that he won’t lie to her. That her phone will find her again, in the same state it went missing. However, before they depart from the area, they hear a familiar voice across the lot. 

Turning around, the father and daughter duo sees Kim Minju, who’s most likely heading to the same place as them. Unlike her hospital wear, Minju is in a short, cold shoulder white dress that hugs her curvy build just right. 

While in passenger seat, Chaewon curses her father out in her head. She hates the old man for offering to drive Minju to the restaurant too when just hours ago the other called him pathetic. Though Chaewon expects Minju to act like a total princess with her arms and legs crossed and just in the backseat enjoying the free ride, she was in for a surprise as the woman and her father talked nonstop. 

Minju even laughed once or twice at Sangho’s old humor. Dad jokes. Once again Chaewon finds another reason why they don’t get along and haven’t really liked each other. While Chaewon hates those jokes, Minju seems to ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter