Straight Vows [Final]

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
21 Straight Vows  

Yujin is in a deep slumber when she feels two strong hands push down on her back, waking her out of any more sleep she can get. 

“Get up sleepyhead,” comes a woman’s stern voice, one she knows is her mom’s. 

“One more hour,” Yujin coos. 

“Get up now and explain to me why Jang Wonyoung is blowing up your phone at six in the morning.” 

Upon hearing the said name, Yujin forces her eyes wide open and quickly sits up in bed, pushing aside the blanket that once kept her warm. “Wonyoung? Why? Did something happen?”

“I should be the one asking you that,” Misun states, holding Yujin’s phone out to her. 

Judging by her mother’s tone, Yujin knows her mother has learned of her new relationship with Wonyoung and is crossed about it. With a hefty sigh, Yujin grabs the device out of her mom’s hand and leaves it on her lap. “Here’s the thing, mom… I went to go see Wonyoung last night and—”

“So you’ve given up on Minju?” 

Yujin lets out a deep breath once more, “Isn’t that what you wanted? Didn’t you want me to give up on Minju and marry Wonyoung instead?” 

Misun shakes her head shortly then takes a seat on Yujin’s bed beside her. Facing Yujin, she pushes some of the younger woman’s hair behind her ear, “Listen, honey, I’ve given it some thought and your dad is right. I don’t want to dictate your life. Don’t marry Wonyoung for me, marry her for you and her. I know Wonyoung likes you. She’s always only had eyes for you when our families used to spend time together at the beach.” 

“What...made you change your mind, mom?” Yujin’s voice is faint, almost afraid by her mother’s sudden willingness not to control her fate. 

“You know I’m a know-it-all, honey. Deep down I don’t like to be wrong. You and I are similar in that way. We want to be in control and be able to predict a future with those we associate ourselves with. For instance, you save animals because you know they’ll never think nasty of you and their owners would be eternally grateful towards you. But from you and your father’s experiences, those ungrateful would sue for compensation. And you and I don’t like surprises.” 

“But why Minju and not Wonyoung, mom?” 

Misun rubs Yujin’s arms gently, “Like you, Minju saves lives. You both value lives the same even if you’ve been wronged. With Minju, we know where to find her. At the hospital where she’s always safe. Wonyoung is a judge and judges make a lot of enemies. I thought if you married her, her occupation could taint yours. But I realized now that it’s not true. Work has nothing to do with love and family. I should know that because your dad taught me that.” 

Yujin smiles. Her father is indeed great at loving his job, co-workers, and family equally yet differently. He’s great at making time for all three and leveling it with a big, happy smile on his face. 

“Thanks, mom. If I can have your approval, I’ll like for us to be happy with Wonyoung by my side.” Yujin says calmly, trying to hold back a grand, appease smile. 

Misun nods, “If you truly love her too then yes, you have my approval...too. Knowing your dad, he’d probably agree to whoever you choose.” 

An amused chuckle escapes Yujin’s lips as she stretches out her arm and pulls her mother into a warm hug. “Thanks, mom, I love you and dad so much.” 

Misun tenderly wraps her arms around Yujin too as she whispers, “We love you too, so much.” 

The duo enjoys each other’s company for a minute before Yujin pulls away and cry, “Oh yeah Wonyoung!” 

Checking her phone, she’s seen that Wonyoung has left her about ten messages and three missed calls. Scrolling through her messages, Yujin’s face begins to harden. 

“What is it?” Misun questions. 

“It’s Wonyoung’s parents… Her mother is against our relationship and her dad said her mother is pushing for a divorce.” 

 

In their apartment, Chaewon reads through the script with an apple in her hand while her father is long gone. The older man was always good at giving her her space when she asks. 

As Chaewon tries to retreat from the kitchen back into her room, she hears a knock at the door. She wonders if her father has forgotten something on his way out, though despite his age the man is hardly senile. Placing the script onto the coffee table, Chaewon goes to answer the door. 

To her surprise, it’s Minju. 

“Morning,” Minju greets her so casually as if she’s been expected. 

“Morn-morning?” Chaewon asks, swallowing the remaining apple pieces in . “What are you doing here?” 

“Felt like I wanted to see you before I return to work at 10.” 

Chaewon scrunches her brows briefly, “Okay well, you’ve seen me so you can go now?”

Minju scoffs, “Just because I stopped being mean to you, doesn’t mean you get to start.” 

Chaewon sighs, apologetically, “Sorry, I just have a lot of my plate at the moment so I’m a bit on edge.”  

The Doctor pockets her hands and bobs her head once or twice, “I see. Anything I can do to help you?” 

Chaewon shrugs, putting in zero effort to think, “Nothing really.” 

“Maybe something to take your mind off whatever is bothering you?” 

Chaewon snorts, “And how are you going to do that?” Before Chaewon knows it, Minju took a step forward and lean in to kiss her. The sudden and immediate contact sends Chaewon’s heart beating and her whole body begins burning up. When their kiss breaks, Minju whispers some words of encouragement into Chaewon’s ear but the lass never heard a sound because her heartbeat was beating in her eardrums as well. 

When Chaewon blinks, she notices Minju is gone. As if the woman was never there, to begin with. Looking at the time on her watch, she sees that it’s 10:06. She’s been spacing out ever since Minju’s intrusion. 

Slowly, Chaewon cups her own cheeks and feel them hot to the touch. Helplessly she smiles widely to herself before forcing her to divert her attention back to work. Retiring into her home, Chaewon shuts the door and screams internally. 

Back in her room, Chaewon’s smile fades when she sees an incoming text from her phone. 

It’s from Yuri and the actress wants them to meet over coffee. 

 

As promised, Siyeon showed up at exactly 8:59 to meet Sangho under the bridge near the Han River. Walking up to stand by his side, the woman wears a half-smile as she glances over to observe his side profile. “Did you wait long?” The woman asks. 

The man ignores her question and instantly get down to business, “Call off your divorce with brother-in-law Jitae. For our daughters’ sake, let’s not break their hearts by trying to rekindle our long lost love.” 

Siyeon gives him a stink eye, “If this was what you wanted to talk about then we’re done here. I’m going to divorce Jitae and free myself as his wife.” 

Sangho sighs, mainly disappointed with her response, “Jitae is a good man. His family has done a lot for you and Wonyoung deserves two happily married parents. Don’t disappoint them. Even if you two do get a divorce, I won’t accept you as anyone else but my sister.” 

Siyeon, offended, scoffs, “I hate how selfless you can be. When you called off Wonyoung and Chaewon’s marriage, I thought you were saying you and I can be together like old times.” 

A small, bitter smile crosses Sangho’s face as he utters softly, “We’ve known each other for more than half our lives. You don’t think I know you, Siyeon? I knew you acted behind my back. You went to Suwon and propose Chaewon and Wonyoung be promised to each other knowing I would be against it. When Suwon was still alive, you refused to believe that I loved her. You assumed if I come in between the marriage later, it would have been for you and I. But you’re wrong. I’m doing it for our daughters who grew up as sisters, believing they were cousins.” The man slowly spins on his heels in order to face her. “Siyeon, I, Sangho will always love you as your older brother. Let’s put this behind us. I want us to be able to meet up and be friendly with each other. I wish this will not make us strangers.” 

As Siyeon’s eyes welled up, she takes a deep breath. Sangho is a very rational man and though he’s not exactly stubborn, he’d follow his words to his grave. There was no changing his mind and he didn’t come so far for her to go against his wish. 

Quickly she wipes her tears with her fingertips, sniffles, and painfully promises, “I’ll do as you ask...brother.” 

 

It’s nearly 5 PM when Chaewon just got done with the packet. While stretching her neck, she sighs in satisfaction. Today was quite productive. She shared an uncalled for morning kiss with Minju, met Yuri over coffee, and got her work done before it got too dark out. Rubbing the back of her nape, she reminisces her exchanged time with Yuri and Yena. 

Earlier today at 11 AM...

When Chaewon received Yuri’s message about having coffee, she didn’t expect Reporter Choi Yena to tag along. Joining the duo at the table, Chaewon dodges Yena’s playful eyes and self-absorbed smirks.

“Chaewon, thanks for coming at such short notice,” Yuri says with a growing smile after Chaewon and she exchanges bows of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter