Sixteen

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I want to yell out and call you, I love you.

I’m sorry I can’t smile as I let you go.

Can’t you look back?

[ K. Will - Dropping Tears ]

 

"Unnie, this is money from ahjumma."

 

Tzuyu raised her head from the Physics book, then looked at Chaeyoung who was sitting beside her with an envelope.

 

"Unnie can use this money to return Dahyun's money when we used it to pay our house rent," Chaeyoung continued.

 

Tzuyu immediately remembered the incident a few months ago, when Dahyun paid the rent. At that time, she didn’t have enough money to pay for it. Ahjumma didn't pay for it because she had problems with the canteen finances, so they had to wait for several months.

 

Tzuyu received the envelope, then put it in the backpack.

 

"Unnie." Chaeyoung paid attention to Tzuyu who was already busy with her book. "Unnie and Sana unnie ... still dating?"

 

"Don't  talk about that." Tzuyu turned the page slightly rough. "I want to concentrate with the lesson."

 

Chaeyoung nodded, her brain replayed Dahyun's words a few days ago. According to Dahyun, Tzuyu accepted Dahyun to stay beside Sana. However, why has Tzuyu been emotional lately? "

 

"How about you, are you still dating that person?" Tzuyu asked back, realizing Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. "No."

 

"Nice." Tzuyu nodded. "Indeed we shouldn't deal with them."

 

Chaeyoung looked at Tzuyu in surprise. Does this mean Tzuyu is not with Sana anymore? Chaeyoung was about to ask, but Tzuyu seemed to be sinking back into her book.

 

Her sister has returned to cold as before.

 

===

 

Mrs. Han was in class by sharing the results of the Physics exam. As usual, the classroom atmosphere is now quiet, carried away by its aura. Some students get bad grades as usual, and Mrs. Han was never surprised. But last night, when checking Tzuyu's exam paper, he had to do it three times. And the results remain the same.

 

"Tzuyu."

 

Tzuyu got up when his name was called, then stepped towards Mrs. Han who stared at him inquired. No matter, Tzuyu accepted his examination paper.

 

"What happened?"

 

The class immediately became silent. Initially, students waited for additional information such as 'perfect score', 'excellent' or 'you have to follow Tzuyu's example'. Tzuyu looked at Mrs. Han was confused, then opened the test paper. His eyes widened in disbelief.

 

Sixty of a hundred.

 

Tzuyu gulped. Not even in the history of her education, she scored under eighty. Mrs. question Han had now turned in her mind. What happened?

 

"Please meet me at recess time later."

 

Tzuyu looked up and looked at Mrs. Han. She understood correctly, those words never meant good. After sighing, Tzuyu stumbled back to her seat, accompanied by a curious look from her friends.

 

Before sitting down, Tzuyu caught Sana's gaze. The girl just entered after permission for three days and looked a little paler than usual, but Tzuyu had no time to worry about her. Tzuyu tried not to care about yesterday.

 

What she must care about now is her own future.

 

===

 

"So it's like this, Tzuyu."

 

Tzuyu put her ear carefully when Mrs. Han opened the conversation. At this time, she was in front of Mrs.'s desk Han in the spacious and comfortable teacher room. The teachers were enjoying lunch while chatting in the middle lobby of the room. However, for some reason, Tzuyu felt at the same time the teachers were eavesdropping on her conversation and Mrs. Han.

 

"Lately, your grade has dropped. Drastically.” Mrs. Han pushed a paper to Tzuyu. “ Physics. Math. Even Biology too. What happened?”

 

Tzuyu gulped hard when she saw her own grades. Indeed, for other students, the scores were normal. Standart. However, Tzuyu isn’t the other student. She doesn’t have parents who could pay for her university.

 

“I. . .” suddenly felt dry. “There’s nothing happen, Mrs. Han.”

 

“Is it because of . . . Sana?” Mrs. Han bended her head, to forbid other teachers to eavesdropping. “Ever since you date with her, your grades become like this.”

 

Tzuyu looked at Mrs. Han sadly, thinking of her words. If she thinks carefully about it, what Mrs. Han said was true. Tzuyu’s gardes has dropped after she knew and getting close with Sana. But, Tzuyu resist to believe.

 

“I’m no longer dating with Sana, Mrs. Han,” Tzuyu said. “From now, I will study harder. I’ll fix my grades.”

 

For a moment, Mrs. Han looked at Tzuyu sympathetically. “Tzuyu, there’s something that I need to tell you. It supposed to be our vice headmistress responsibility to say this, but she already gave the authority to me as your mentor.”

 

Tzuyu’s eyes widened. “Why?”

 

Mrs. Han sighed. “About the scholarship offer. They already cut the scholarship for you.”

 

Tzuyu’s heart felt like it stopped. “W-what?”

 

“According to our initial agreement, your scholarship will be cancelled once you showing degradation. You still remember, don’t you?”

 

Tzuyu tried to remember the agreement of the scholarship, but it’s vain. Her brain that filled with billions of neutrons was now freezing and useless.

 

“Now, the scholarship is given to Rose, who has stable grade.” Mrs. Han mentioned Tzuyu rival, the only one student who is in the list of scholarship grantee. “I’m really sorry, Tzuyu.”

 

Tzuyu still couldn't think. She felt like she was get hit by huge wave and broke into pieces. And suddenly, her ears sharpened. She could hear the teachers whispering from the middle of the room.

 

“I. . . I can fix it!” Tzuyu finally realized. “I won’t repeat the mistake again!”

 

But, Mrs. Han shook her head. “You knew the agreement, Tzu.”

 

Tzuyu knew. A year ago, she signed the agreement because she thought she afford it. She was sure about her capability to not get low grade in every lesson. Now, when she got low grade in four lessons, she knew it was dead sentence to her hope.

 

“But you still can try university scholarship, Tzu.” Mrs. Han cheered her up, can’t bear to see Tzuyu’s face. “There are some scholarship that offered by Postech University.”

 

University scholarships mean she has to compete with thousand―or hundred thousand―competitors. Not that she wasn’t su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter