Thirteen

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And I don't want the world to see me,

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand.

[Goo Goo Dolls - Iris]

Because of yesterday's incident, today Sana didn’t come to school. Dahyun seemed to step alone into the classroom, avoiding everyone's gaze. After sighing, she approached Seulgi who was sitting blankly.

 

"Seul," Dahyun said, making Seulgi looked up. "Sana said yesterday wasn't your fault. You don't need to worry.”

 

Seulgi snorted. "I just hit her a little, she fell herself. What now, she didn't come to school? So I was hated by everyone?"

 

"Sana can't really go to school." Dahyun remembered Sana's swollen knee and cheek. "She can't do sports."

 

"I regret to invite her to play yesterday." Seulgi shook her head.

 

"That's her will. You're not wrong." Dahyun tried to comfort Seulgi, but she was already upset.

 

Didn’t get the reaction from Seulgi, Dahyun returned to her seat. Accidentally, her gaze met with Tzuyu. Dahyun looked sharply tired, then sat on her own seat while staring out the window.

 

Today, a gray cloud overlooks the city sky, as if understanding Dahyun's feelings. Inevitably, Dahyun recalled the incident yesterday, when Sana sat at this table spitting fresh blood into a plastic bag, and how she had to return to holding the device she hoped she would never hold again. In the end, she lost control of herself.

 

Seeing Sana bleeding is the last thing she wants to see. During this time, she tried his best to protect Sana, making the girl not remember what happened to her, kept her stable and not traumatized. This incident is an alarm for her, a sign that Dahyun must remain alert. Dahyun clenched her palms, fully aware of what should be her duty.

 

Mr. Im already in class when a thunderous roar awakened Dahyun. Mr. Im put his books on the table, then looked at Sana's empty seat.

 

"Well, today Sana isn’t come to school because of illness." Mr. Im starting class. "Let's pray that she’ll get well soon."

 

Seulgi snorted skeptically. Most students agreed to her, assuming Sana was very excessive because she was absent after playing basketball for two minutes and was hit a little. No one wants to pray for a drama queen.

 

Dahyun circulated her gaze on her friends, then shook her head slowly. They all don't know what happened. Even if they do, they will not be able to do much. Sana will only be a mockery. This place can't accept Sana without making her a weirdo. Making them all understand will be very tiring.

 

Sana doesn't need anyone but her.

 

===

 

Dahyun stepped towards the backyard of the school, but there was no one there. The cloudy sky made people engross in chatting in class, avoiding the rain that might come down.

 

Dahyun herself never objected to the rain. She just likes it. When it rains, people don’t know whether she is crying or not. Rain saved her.

 

Dahyun stepped towards the roofed bench on the far edge of the field, where she used to watch Chaeyoung archery. Over the past few months, this place has been her favorite place during recess. This is where she discovered a new world she had never expected. Here too, she found someone who shot through her heart.

 

While staring blankly at the field, Dahyun sat down. The yesterday's event made her think a lot. What should she explain to Tzuyu? To Chaeyoung? Should she tell them everything? Do they deserve to know? What if they run away?

 

If when Dahyun was with Chaeyoung only think of herself, now she can think clearly again. Her birth, her meeting with Sana, and the similarity they had was a sign. She knew that from the moment she could think, and that's why she accepted the responsibility given to her. She also understands, if accepting that responsibility makes her unable to have a personal life.

 

"Sunbae?"

 

Dahyun raised her head and found Chaeyoung already standing before her. Instantly, Dahyun felt weak and wanted to cry. She always felt weak when dealing with Chaeyoung, something she didn't supposed to feel when she was with Sana.

 

"Hey." Dahyun tried to smile. "You're not practicing?"

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. "It's gonna rain soon. What are you doing here, Sunbae?"

 

Dahyun looked at Chaeyoung for a few moments, then patted the bench beside her. "Sit here."

 

While looking at Dahyun worried, Chaeyoung sat beside her. Even though Tzuyu said nothing, she knew about yesterday's incident. Everyone at school talks about it.

 

"Have you heard about yesterday?" Dahyun asked, made Chaeyoung's heart beat faster. "Are you. . .mad?"

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. "I have to hear the reason from you, Sunbae."

 

Raindrops began to fall from the gray sky. Dahyun waited for the rain to go down a little more profusely, hoping her voice would sink the sentence she was about to say.

 

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter