Fourteen

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We can't live at the same time without trivial lights.

If I can't be honest, then rapture and sorrow are meaningless.

[Remioromen - Snow Powder]

 

This morning, Sana and Dahyun entered the school with heavy steps. As usual, everyone looked at them and whispered, but this time with content that was completely different. In the past those gazes and whispers were in the form of admiration and praise, now those gazes were mocking, and the whispers that came out were mockery.

 

"Look at that princess. She's so pretentious."

 

"Yeah, in fact it’s just PE. Poor, Seulgi!"

 

Sana lowered her head, could hear the words clearly. Maybe they deliberately hardened the sound so she could hear it.

 

"Try to see Dahyun, she said she’s dating Chaeyoung! But she keep taking care of Sana!"

 

Dahyun sighed. She had expected that she would be ridicule at school, so she was not surprised. She can accept everything gracefully. However, it doesn't seem to be the case with Sana.

 

"People said she carried Sana in front of Tzuyu's eyes!"

 

"Making Tzuyu looks stupid!"

 

Sana's step now felt even heavier. Her knees still hurt now like being pierced by thousands of needles. She felt like a mermaid who was not supposed to step on land and remain in a lonely sea.

 

Next thing she know, the scorn was not heard anymore. Sana touched her ears, which had been attached to the earphone, then turned to Dahyun. She is now pressing the iPod, looking for songs.

 

And so it is. Just like you said it would be. . .

 

The song softly floated into Sana's ears, replacing all the ridicule from her friends. Dahyun put the iPod into Sana's pocket.

 

Sana looked at Dahyun. "Thanks, Dahyunie."

 

Dahyun smiled, then stepped back. Sana looked at Dahyun's back, which looked small and lonely today. Even though all the ridicule was painful, Dahyun ignored herself and lent this iPod to Sana.

 

"Thanks, Dahyunie. I really do," Sana murmured, then stepped forward, following in Dahyun's footsteps as she always did for seventeen years. Dahyun's footsteps are the safest for her.

 

Shortly thereafter, Dahyun and Sana arrived at the class which was immediately silent. Although she couldn't hear anything, Sana could see the stares of her classmates who were cornering. Sana's gaze finally met with Seulgi.

 

Sana took off her earphone, then approached the girl. "Morning, Seul."

 

Instead of answering the greeting, Seulgi looked at Sana sharply. "You good?"

 

A smile immediately spread on Sana's face. "I do."

 

"Good then." Seulgi got up. "Next time, there's no need to join PE anymore. You're just a hassle."

 

Sana's eyes widened while Seulgi stepped past her towards the classroom door. For a while, Sana petrified in front of Seulgi's table, trying to remember how to breathe normally.

 

"Pretending to be shocked, just being quarried with Seulgi, you might faint again."

 

Suddenly, Sana was able to hear that for a moment. Sana was holding the earphone, intending to wear it again. However, her hands stopped.

 

"I'm sorry, guys." Sana can hear her own vibrating voice. Sana turned around slowly, staring at her friends. "Sorry because I. . . was troublesome."

 

The students looked at her with various expressions. Some seemed skeptical, the rest still looked upset, but some were sympathetic. Seulgi even held her steps in front of the door.

 

"When PE was yesterday, I was really happy." Sana forced a smile, trying not to cry. "I ... won't join PE anymore."

 

For a while, the class felt quiet. Everyone was staring at Sana who was standing awkward in the middle of the class with a trembling body.

 

"Good morning, students!"

 

Mr. Park entered the class cheerfully, but was immediately confused when he realized the class atmosphere was too quiet. Without having to look, Mr. Park knew who was the center of attention. He had heard about the incident on the field a few days ago.

 

"Come on, sit! The class is about to start!"

 

Although reluctant, the students began to move to their respective seat. Sana stumbled to her desk, then sat down.

 

"Okay, today, I will distribute the results of the exam yesterday. The one called, please go forward to take it."

 

Sana stared blankly at her clean white table, barely hearing Mr. Park. Seulgi's words had really stuck in her heart. Before yesterday's PE, Sana always tried to be invisible. Untouchable. However, when she wanted to try to be normal, she became a burden. She troubles people.

 

Sana's decision not to tell her friends was right. She should have never tried.

 

===

 

Sana stared doubtfully at the library door. Her leg brought her back here, the place where she spent time with Tzuyu for the past few months. Only a few months left before the national exam. She was not sure what they want to keep bothering the girl.

 

"You not come in?"

 

Sana turned and found Tzuyu standing beside her. Instead of looking angry, Tzuyu opened the door for her instead. Sana hesitated, then followed Tzuyu inside. Unlike Dahyun, Tzuyu's steps are big, making it difficult to follow. Tzuyu seemed to have her own speed of processing to wait for anyone. Sana wasn't sure what she wanted to hold back, or asked her to wait and walk more slowly.

 

Tzuyu stood in front of the biography shelf, then began to choose books. Sana watched her from the side. Tzuyu didn't seem to care much about Sana. Maybe, she really doesn't care. Sana knew, the most important thing for her was studying.

 

When Tzuyu sat on the floor, Sana decided to sit next to her. While gripping the sketchbook. Sana thought hard. Should she ask Tzuyu? Did she have to discuss the incident a few days ago? Or not?

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter