Ten

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Each listened to our hearts beating to different tempos.

As if things were meant to be this way from the start.

(Mr. Children -Proof)

 

Over the past few days, Sana and Dahyun have their own activities. Sana enjoyed getting new knowledge from Tzuyu in the library, while Dahyun was busy watching Chaeyoung practice archery. If they usually rarely talk while on their way to school, now they are competing to tell stories. Sana told how the universe was created, while Dahyun talked about how to judge archery sports.

 

Now, when the break bell rang loudly, both of them seemed too excited. Sana cleared her books in a hurry, and then turned around.

 

"Let's go," Sana said with a radiant face, while Tzuyu looked at her flatly.

 

After Sana pulled her hand, Tzuyu rose half heartedly. The students in the class looked at that view in amazement. In fact, Dahyun didn't seem to mind and followed them a few steps from behind. And if usually after Sana entered Dahyun waiting in front of the library, now she was more often in the field behind the school.

 

Tzuyu followed Sana to the astronomical shelf while staring at her hand which held tightly by Sana. Over the past few days, the girl was always by her side, listening carefully to the knowledge she got from the book. Tzuyu feels that she is a written language translator in spoken language. Initially Tzuyu did feel empowered, but, lately, she did it voluntarily. Like being sincere and that made her feel comfortable. In fact, sometimes Tzuyu also felt proud to be able to show off her extensive knowledge.

 

"What are we going to study today?" asked Sana, awakening Tzuyu. "Astronomy again? Or history?"

 

Tzuyu scratched her non-itchy head, then stepped onto a shelf. She had no idea what knowledge she had to plant on the girl's head.

 

"Tzuyu-ah, do you know about them?"

 

Tzuyu turned her head, then saw the book in Sana's hand: The Mammal Series. Somehow Tzuyu wondered on how the girl could find it.

 

"A little," Tzuyu replied, made Sana's smile expand.

 

"What do you not know?" Sana said in admiration, then immediately sat down and patted the floor next to her. "Come sit down."

 

Sighing, Tzuyu sat beside her. Although a little reluctant, Tzuyu also wanted to do it somehow. She wanted the girl to know more. She didn’t want the girl to look stupid.

 

The next second, Tzuyu snorted, amused by her own thoughts. Why does she have to do it? Why doesn't she want Sana to look stupid? Isn't that just fun, seeing rich people, but stupid?

 

Sana's eyebrow rose. "Why?"

 

"Have . . . you ever thought, if God is fair?" Tzuyu asked suddenly, making Sana blinked.

 

Sana smiled, then nodded. "Yes. The proof, God created you. You are poor, but very smart."

 

"Exactly." Tzuyu put her index finger on Sana's forehead. "And, you are the opposite."

 

Sana the forehead that had been tapped by Tzuyu, then chuckled―not looking offended at all. Tzuyu herself was thinking about what made her do it. Is it possible that she feels too comfortable to dare to touch this girl?

 

"You know? Before meeting you, I thought that poor people were useless," Sana said, making Tzuyu look at her curiously. "It's all because my real mother."

 

Tzuyu's eyes widened when she heard Sana's words. Sana herself was already staring away.

 

Sana turned to Tzuyu, then smiled sadly. "I'm an adopted child."

 

Tzuyu gulped, not knowing about it at all. For a moment, she paused, not sures he wanted to know more. She was afraid that the story would open Sana's old wounds.

 

"When I was born, I was left in the hospital by my mother. The reason, she didn't have enough money to pay for hospital fees." Sana then bit her lip, recalling her painful past.

 

"What's ... your real mother? Poor Japanese?" Tzuyu asked, not understanding. According to rumors, Sana has Japanese blood. Even though not all Japanese are rich, but almost all have insurance. Sana should not be abandoned like that.

 

Sana shook her head, then looked at Tzuyu. "She’s . . . a e."

 

Tzuyu tried to keep from opening, but it seemed she failed. The honest words that came out of Sana's mouth surprised her.

 

"My parents told me everything when I realized that I had no resemblance to them. Even though they didn't want to at first, finally they told me because I forced them. I wanted to know the truth from them, not someone else."

 

Tzuyu nodded softly, listening carefully to Sana.

 

"Slowly, they explained everything to me. They said, according to the hospital where I was born, my father was a college student." Sana continued, somehow making Tzuyu's heart hurt. "And he might not know if I exist."

 

Now, Tzuyu knew what made Sana hate her the first day they met. During this time, Sana only knew one type of poor person, and it was her own mother who threw her away on the day of her birth.

 

Sana sighed to hold back tears, then exhaled it slowly. "What pisses me off isn't the problem my mother is a e, but why didn't she fight for me, like the beggar who we met yesterday. Why did she leave me alone in the hospital ..."

 

"Maybe it's the destiny that God has outlined for you," Tzuyu said. "That way, you meet your adoptive parents, and you become rich. God is fair, right?"

 

For a while, Sana fell silent, thinking of Tzuyu's words. Sana was very grateful that her parents adopted her as a child, but that was not what she was worried about.

 

"But ... I don't want to be rich," Sana sighed.

 

"I also never asked to be poor." Tzuyu leaned her head against the shelf and stared at the ceiling of the library. "But I'm sure, there is a reason behind this. This is a test that we have to face.

 

Sana tilted her head. "Test?"

 

"Life test." Tzuyu turned to Sana. "You have to be grateful for what you have before everything is gone."

 

Sana looked at Tzuyu for a long time. From Dahyun, she knew that both Tzuyu's and Chaeyoung's parents had died. Sana's mouth was half open―meaning to ask―when Tzuyu ruffled her hair and justified her sitting position.

 

"Okay, what do you want to discuss before?" Tzuyu grabbed the book from Sana's hand, but Sana immediately took it back.

 

"I want to know too." Sana looked straight into Tzuyu's eyes. "I also want to know more about you."

 

Tzuyu looked back at the hazel eyes. "Why?"

 

"That. . ." Sana lost words. "Because I . . . like you."

 

Maybe this was just Tzuyu's feeling, but for a few seconds, she seemed unable to hear anything other than her own heartbeat. Her brain was like couldn't work. If she usually able to memorize one book in an hour, now she couldn't digest a single word from a simple sentence that just came out of Sana's mouth.

 

Tzuyu gulped. "You know, what is the biggest mammal in the world?"

 

Sanaa's eyes widened. "Eh?"

 

"The biggest mammal in the world is a blue whale." Tzuyu then snorted. "Surely you don't know whales are mammals."

 

Sanaa looked confused. "Why suddenly a whale ...?"

 

Instead of answering, Tzuyu even gave other interesting facts about mammals, giving Sana no chance to return to the topic. Sana watched Tzuyu who was now busy discussing hippopotamus.

 

Did she said it wrong?

===

 

"Let's go home together.”

 

Tzuyu looked at Sana who had blocked her before she could step outside the class. After the girl made love confession in the library, Tzuyu actually wanted to avoid it. For some reason, Tzuyu felt uncomfortable. The girl was beautiful and so on, but that's exactly why Tzuyu felt uncomfortable. Everything was too hard to believe until it felt like a dream. Waking up from a dream as beautiful as this, it will be very painful. Tzuyu didn't need another pain.

 

"I also invited Chaeyoung. He said okay." Dahyun suddenly appeared behind Sanaa, complete with a bread basket. "He said he would follow the car."

 

"Ha?" Tzuyu exclaimed, then immediately clicked her tongue. Why did Chaeyoung support her?

 

"Come on, come on, there's no need to hesitate." Sana grinned, then took her arm towards the school parking lot. Tzuyu stepped in even though she was half-heartedly.

 

The shiny white car that Dahyun parked beautifully beside the security post. Tzuyu was even sure, the security guard also wiped it when there was time.

 

It seemed, it has been a long time since the tragedy of Tzuyu went home with Sana. At that time, Dahyun scolded her for letting Sana go home by bus, and since then Tzuyu had never agreed to Sana's desire to go home together.

 

Tzuyu observed Dahyun who was opening the trunk of the car. Lately, she was no longer fussy. She easily released Sana to the library, no longer stared until her eyes were red in the biology lab, and now she didn't even mind going home together. Tzuyu didn't know what had happened, until Chaeyoung came with an empty basket.

 

Dahyun's smile immediately broke when she saw Chaeyoung who looked sweet with her ponytail. She deftly grabbed the basket and put it in the trunk.

 

"Did you guys wait too long? I had to met the coach first," Chaeyoung told Sana who immediately shook her head.

 

"No, really. Dahyun said , you are joining the archery competition. Dahyun is very often tell me about you," said Sana.

 

Dahyun actually smiled casually. "You also have to see, Sana. Chaeyoung is very cool when she holds an arrow."

 

While Chaeyoung tried hard not to blush, Tzuyu's gaze towards Dahyun grew sharper. It seemed Tzuyu knew what made Dahyun relax her guard to Sana.

 

Dahyun caught Tzuyu's sharp gaze, but immediately looked away. "Let's get in," she asked while disappearing at the driver seat.

 

"Why did you accept the offer of going home together with them?" asked Tzuyu, making Chaeyoung immediately misbehave. Tzuyu looked at Chaeyoung in disbelief. "Don't say ... you ..."

 

"Tzuyu! Chaeyoung! Come on!" Sana exclaimed from the car, awakening Tzuyu and Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung looked at Tzuyu full of guilt, but still stepped into the car and entered. Shaking her head in disbelief, Tzuyu followed her into a car filled with luxurious interiors. Dahyun glanced at her from the rear-view mirror, so Tzuyu looked away from the window.

 

When her parents were still alive, Tzuyu always whines that they have to give her a car for her seventeenth birthday, no matter if they have to pay in installments. They agreed as long as Tzuyu would study hard, but Tzuyu never did it.

 

Before, Tzuyu was always convinced they would still be there on her seventeenth birth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter