Eighteen

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Please don’t go, but I love you.

You’ll leave me all alone.

Don’t go, don’t go, don’t go.

[Brown Eyes – Don’t Go]

 

After a few days didn’t attend school, Sana finally returned to school today. Kazuo had forbidden her, but Sana insisted on going to school. There was something Sana wanted to do before she was truly sorry.

Sana looked at the school gate. Previously she had never noticed that the gate was rusty. That the gate wasn’t as solid as she had expected. Sana looked away at the sparkling school corridor floor. From Dahyun, Sana knew that Soojin, the school keeper, always mop it diligently before the school open.

As she passed the basketball court, Sana stared at the park bench where she used to spend time before meeting Tzuyu. The bench still looks comfortable, protected from sunlight by acacia trees that are in blooming beautifully.

Sana arrived in front of the classroom corridor, then looked up at the class's signboard. She remembered, when she first entered this class, she hated for getting the seat in the middle. She had no idea, the position of the seat would change everything.

After Dahyun opened the door, Sana stepped inside. If anything changes from this school, it is her friends. Unlike when they first entered, they now didn’t care about her and Dahyun. Instead of saying compliments in awe as they once were, their mouths now sparked ridicule and prejudice.

Sana stepped slowly towards her seat in the middle of the class. As usual, Tzuyu had sat quietly on her seat, reading a thick book whose paper had turned yellow. Sana could tell that Tzuyu was watching her through the corner of her eye, but Sana chose not to greet her like she used to.

Sana had promised herself to accept the request.

Shortly after Sana sat down, Mr. Han emerged from the door with his face not as bright as usual. The students immediately sat while Mr. Han put the books on his desk.

"Okay, so today we will conduct observations outside the classroom." Mr. Han began his lesson with a little nervousness. He even forgot to say good morning. What's in his brain now is the notice at the teacher's meeting before the bell rings.

An excited buzz now began to be heard from all over the class. Only Dahyun, Sana and Tzuyu seemed to not react.

Mr. Han cleared his throat. "Now, bring your text book and pencil, then gather in the front garden of the library."

One by one, the students stepped cheerfully out of the classroom. Sana waited until everyone came out, then got up. Mr. Han looked at her sympathetically, then let her come out first with Dahyun.

Arriving at the school park, Mr. Han immediately made the students surround a bucket.

"As we have learned at the previous meeting, this is one example of biotechnology." Mr. Han crouched down, and then showed the contents of the bucket to all the students. "This is compost made by Mr. Soojin."

The students nodded while Mr. Han began to explain how to make it. Sana and Dahyun also seemed to take notes seriously. Tzuyu watched them from another angle.

For half an hour, they were there to see how to make compost. After filling in the table in the text book, Mr. Han started telling them to clean up and go back to class.

"Uhm, wait."

All students stopped walking, and then looked at Sana. Sana now seems embarrassed.

Sanaa gripped her book tightly. "Can we. . .take picture together?"

"Huh?" chirped Seulgi confused, and all students agreed to her. Her request was too absurd and too sudden.

"What for?" Sowon asked.

"For uhm. . .a memory," Sana answered. "We will graduate soon."

Mr. Han, who regained consciousness, immediately went to the front of the students before they asked anything else. "Good idea, Sana! This is for documentation!"

The students began to whisper reluctantly, but still gathered in the middle when Mr. Han arranged them. Sana took out the cellphone, then walked to the steps, intending to take their photos.

"You gonna take the picture?" Joohyun asked confusedly. "You're not join us?"

"Aah! Here let me take the photo!" Mr. Han immediately move forward and took Sana's cellphone. "You get in the line."

Sana hesitated, joined her friends. When Mr. Han started shouting, Sana tried to smile. However, her chest felt tight.

She doesn't know what kind of face will app

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter