Nineteen

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Over time, when the time passes by.

It will be a heartache in the memory.

There is no need to forget, since it will just be all fade away.

[Baek Ji Young - Over Time]

 

This afternoon, the sun was very bright. Sana looked out the car window, finding the blue sky without the slightest cloud. Apparently, today God allowed her to date. Her first and last date.

 

Sana was already feeling refreshed after a month lying in bed because of prolonged sadness. Her body kept remembering how she had to wake up in the morning, wearing a white gray uniform and tidying up the book according to the lesson schedule that day. After a while, Sana could only accept the fact that she no longer attended school there.

 

Now, after she felt better, she’s ready to go on a date with Tzuyu. First and last date.

 

Sana glanced at Woonyoung, her father's driver who had the duty to look after her today. At first, Sana wanted to go alone, but Kazuo strongly refused. Sana refused when Kazuo told Dahyun to do it. In the end, Woonyoung was chosen.

 

The car turned into the beach complex. Soon, they arrived at the parking area. Sana stepped outside, welcoming the blazing sun which immediately burned her skin.

 

"Wear the sweater, miss." Woonyoung hurriedly handed Sana a sweater that was still leaning on the car seat. "Then, this, hat too."

 

While wearing a sweater, Sana glanced at the hat taken by Woonyoung from the back seat. When everyone wears minimal clothing to the play area, she must appear closed like this.

 

"Thank you, Ahjussi." Sana received the wide woven hat, and then put it on.

 

Woonyoung nodded, then closed the car door and locked it. "Shall we go, Miss?"

 

"Ahjussi," called Sana before Woonyoung stepped in. "I ... I can go alone. You can just wait in the car."

 

"Oh dear, I don't dare!" Woonyoung said immediately. "Earlier Mr. Minatozaki told me to keep an eye on Miss Sana."

 

"Are you really sure you want to accompany me dating with my girlfriend?" Sana sulked. "Did your parents accompany you when you’re dating before?"

 

Woonyoung thought for a moment. "Uhm, no."

 

"So, just wait in the car," Sana persuaded again. "I'm just walking around the beach."

 

Woonyoung looked at Sana doubtfully, and then finally nodded. "Okey then, Miss. But don't go too far, okay?"

 

Sana nodded. "Copy that!"

 

After successfully persuading Woonyoung to stay in the car, Sana began to step towards the beach. The distinctive scent of the sea now filled her lungs. She likes the sea. She always wished to date her girlfriend on the beach while watching the sun set. Today, she will make her dream come true.

 

With a heart pounding, Sana walked along the shiny beach. Even though yesterday Tzuyu agreed, Sana was afraid she would’t come. Maybe while at home, Tzuyu changed her mind.

 

Sana's step stopped as she recognized the shadow of someone on the dock not far in front of her, staring far into the open sea. Tzuyu is coming. She kept his promise.

 

Tzuyu herself just sighed as she suddenly realized Sana's arrival. She looked at Sana for a long time, and then began to approach her. Today, Sana looks amazingly beautiful. She uses a white knee-length dress with a pink fuschia sweater, her beautiful hair is wavy and decorated with a wide woven hat. Tzuyu also realized the girl was wearing a little blush on and pink lipstick, making her even more dazzling.

 

"Did you wait too long?" Sana asked Tzuyu who was still in her school uniform.

 

Tzuyu shook her head, then approached her. "I just arrived."

 

"I thought you wouldn't come," Sana said after they were only a meter away. "The message arrived huh?"

 

Tzuyu nodded. This afternoon, Tzuyu was called to the school lobby. Apparently, Sana sent a message over the school telephone about this date. For the past month, Tzuyu was almost crazy for waiting for the news and thought they wouldn’t be dating, but now she is here.

 

"How are you?" Tzuyu asked, missing that beautiful face.

 

"Good," Sana answered with a smile.

 

Tzuyu nodded slowly, then looked around, intending to find someone with blonde hair. Maybe the person was disguised as one of the coconut trees there.

 

"Dahyun doesn't come with me." Sana seemed to understand the contents of Tzuyu's head. "Today, it’s only us."

 

"Really?" Tzuyu commented, she felt happy in her heart. Tzuyu then cleared . "Where are we going now?"

 

Sana has no idea. In her head, she only wanted to see the sun set with Tzuyu, but there were still several hours until it happened.

 

"Hm, what if we see the attraction of a sea lion in the playground not far from here?" suggested Tzuyu, who had received the flyer when she entered.

 

"Sea lion attraction?" Sana immediately interested, then nodded.

 

===

 

During the sea lion performance, Sana clapped her hands. Hermouth was wide open, her eyes sparkled when she saw the clever animal standing on its two fins while playing a volleyball with the tip of the nose.

 

Now, the coach is sulking because the sea lion won't take the ball. He also funnily followed the coach while whining like seducing him.

 

"Sea lions have sharp vision and can see very well on land and sea." Tzuyu suddenly spoke when the coach threw the fish into the pool and the sea lion immediately plunged.

 

Sana stopped clapping, then slowly turned to Tzuyu.

 

"Its hearing and smell are also very good. They are very clever animals."

 

As much as possible, Sana tried not to cry. She will miss all that knowledge, so today, she will listen carefully.

 

"They can dive to a depth of five hundred meters," continued Tzuyu, staring at the sea lion which had returned to land, closing his eyes with his right fin, looking embarrassed. "They can also stay underwater for forty minutes."

 

"Hm ..." Sana muttered while nodding. Tears had pooled so that she couldn’t see clearly the sea lion waving, the sign of the show was over.

 

"Where are we going after this?" asked Tzuyu again. 

 

Sana immediately looked away so Tzuyu didn't see it. "Hmm, where should we go?"

 

"Do you want to ride the gondola?"

 

Sana tilted her head. "Gondola?"

 

Instead of answering it, Tzuyu reached out her hand. Sana looked at the hand in doubt, and then reached for it. The warm feeling from Tzuyu's hand was now flowing throughout her body.

 

Even though Sana didn't want this to end quickly, but the trip to the gondola station was very fast. Sana didn’t know what made Tzuyu refuse to let go of her hand. As they climbed onto the gondola, Tzuyu just let go off her hand.

 

The Gondola actually had a capacity of six people, but thanks to Sana's beauty that captivated the staff, they managed to enter in just the two. Before the gondola moved up, Sana took the time to wave and smiled at the staff and thanked him.

 

Tzuyu looked at Sana who looked amazed at the shimmering beach below. A month ago, when Sana said she was leaving school, Tzuyu was really surprised. However, Tzuyu also couldn’t do anything to prevent it. Maybe it's the right decision. Maybe, as Dahyun said, they shouldn't be at that school.

 

However, if they never attend school there, Tzuyu will never meet Sana. She will not be able to feel happiness after the death of her parents, even though happiness is only briefly. Although in the end she lost many things, she also got many things that were not less important. She got her adolescence, as she should have.

 

"Fifty to eighty percent of life on this earth is in the sea."

 

Sana turned to Tzuyu who had also been staring at the sea with eyes wandering.

 

"But only ten percent have been explored by humans," Tzuyu continued, unaware that Sana's eyes had returned to tears.

 

Throughout the gondola trip, Tzuyu continued to provide interesting facts about the ocean. Sana listened intently, trying to record the voice in her brain so she could remember it whenever she wanted.

 

Now, they have come down from the gondola and walked back to the beach. Already aware of Sana's slow pace, Tzuyu followed her from behind, occasionally stopping so she would not catch up with the girl.

 

Unlike Dahyun, Tzuyu always walked behind her. If Sana usually follows Dahyun's steps, now Tzuyu equalizes the steps with her small ones. For some reason, Sana felt lonely. Tzuyu made her feel like she wanted to be normal. Makes her want to walk at a human pace in general even though she knows it will hurt her knee.

 

Next thing she knew, Sana's hand was reached by Tzuyu. Tzuyu is now beside her, staring anxiously.

 

"No need to hurry," said Tzuyu, realizing Sana.

 

Sana forced a smile, then nodded and began to walk again. Instead of walking behind him, now Tzuyu was beside her, aligning every step of the way.

 

Although the trip from the gondola station to the beach was quite far, the trip without words felt very fast. Sana won't even complain if she has to go around this beach area while she is with Tzuyu.

 

The sun has slipped to the west now. Clouds began to issue orange tinge, making Sana feel the time was running out soon. Like a mermaid princess, she must end everything and return to the palace at the bottom of the ocean.

 

"Very beautiful. . ." Sana murmured, staring at the sea that was now orange shaded.

 

Tzuyu did not answer. She was busy looking in the same direction, thinking that this might be the last time she could see the scene. She was pretty sure she won’t come here again with anyone in the future. She will focus on the lesson and will not have time to play around.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Slowly, Tzuyu turned to Sana who seemed to hold back tears.

 

"Sorry if I'm still selfish until the end." Sana looked at Tzuyu. "I just want to leave without regret. I'm sorry if it becomes a burden for you again."

 

Tzuyu gulped. "It's okay."

 

Sana looked back at the sun which began to disappear behind the vast sea. "Sorry, I made you lost your scholarship."

 

"That. . ." Tzuyu wet her lips. "It's not your fault. I certainly can without that scholarship"

 

Sana looked at Tzuyu sadly. "If I'm not a kid of the rich ... if I'm not weak. The story will be different right?"

 

For a moment, only the sound of the waves crashing to the shoreline.

 

"I don't regret all this happened," Tzuyu finally said. "So you shouldn't too. Because all this really should happen."

 

Sana nodded. "I don't regret it. You are one of the best things that have ever happened in my life. I'm glad to meet you."

 

Tzuyu took a deep breath, trying to control herself. During this time, Tzuyu tried not to doubt Sana's words. If she saw her eyes, Tzuyu knew it was sincere. However, her strange relationship with Dahyun blocked them. At first Tzuyu wanted to close her eyes until she saw a necklace with Dahyun name on it that Sana wore while in the library. That is the turning point. She doesn't know, she doesn't want to know anymore.

 

"Goodbye."

 

Tzuyu heard Sana say, so she turned her head. The girl had been staring at her with tears running out.

 

"I hope you can achieve your goals. I'm sure you can."

 

As much as possible, Tzuyu tried not to pull Sana into her arms, shouting so she wouldn't say things like that.

 

However, Tzuyu did not do it. "You too. Take good care of yourself."

 

Sana's tears dripped as she nodded. Her first love story ended sadly. There is no 'and they live happily ever after'. There is only a parting word with painful tears, like a mermaid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter