Fifteen

Stay By My Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Are we too late? Do not we have a chance?

I still think about you and you might know this.

Is it finally this?

[Ji Sun - What Should I do]

 

"Chaeng! Chaeyoung!"

Chaeyoung let go of the protective hand with eyes glazed, completely unaware that Yeri, her friend, had been calling her from the edge of the field. Yeri sighed, then approached her. It seemed like Chaeyoung is still hit by Dahyun's words the other day.

"Chaeyoungiieeee!" Yeri hugged Chaeyoung from behind. "What were you dreaming about?"

"Oh, Yeri." Chaeyoung immediately pushed Yeri slowly. "Why are you approaching me quietly like that?"

Yeri looked at Chaeyoung flatly. "My voice is gone because I called many times before."

"Really?" Chaeyoung scratched her neck. "I didn't hear you."

Yeri paid attention to Chaeyoung who cleared the archery equipment in the box. Even though there is no competition, today Chaeyoung is still practicing at recess. Even in a state of broken heart, she remained diligent. Or is it because of a broken heart, so she has something to vent her heart?

The target bearing tens of meters ahead looked full stuck by arrows. Yeri glanced at Chaeyoung. Her best friend was indeed an incarnation of Legolas. So great, Yeri felt lonely. Chaeyoung is almost never in class at recess time. She also never wanted to be invited to the mall after school.

When Chaeyoung sat on the bench to rest, Yeri immediately followed.

"Dahyun Sunbae has never been here again?" Yeri asked carefully after Chaeyoung finished drinking. In class, Yeri almost never asked her that question.

Her classmates can be very primitive when they heard the word 'Dahyun'.

Chaeyoung shook her head while putting her mineral water bottle into the box, trying not to care.

"Are you ... ok?" Yeri asked again, making Chaeyoung turned around.

"I'm okay, Yeri." Chaeyoung poked Yeri's ribs softly. "It's weird that you worry about me."

"Well, I lost the usual you, Chaeng," Yeri said honestly. Chaeyoung has become more quiet in the past few days. Classes were no longer fun.

Chaeyoung looked at Yeri, thinking of her words. Her friend is right. Because of Dahyun, she lost herself. She was no longer cheerful and ran away from the crowd, afraid that people would talk about it. In fact, she who had never felt that way.

"Sorry, Yeri." Chaeyoung grinned at Yeri. "I promise I'll be back as usual again."

Yeri's eyes sparkled. "You promise?"

Chaeyoung nodded. Friends are far more important than fickle girl like Dahyun.

"Ah, Chaeng, yesterday Papa came home from Japan, brought souvenirs. Would you come to my house?" Yeri invited . "We will have pajamas party."

Chaeyoung chuckled at Yeri's invitation. "You ask permission from Tzuyu unnie."

"Ughh, no! She’s scary!" reject Yeri happily, making Chaeyoung chuckled.

When Yeri and Chaeyoung were still joking, they realized that someone else was there, staring at them from the edge of the field. Their laughter stopped when they found out who that person was.

"Chaeng, I'm leaving first." Yeri glanced at Chaeyoung, then hurriedly got up. As she passed by Dahyun, she nodded stiffly. "Hi, Sunbae."

"Hi," Dahyun replied with a smile.

Dahyun's view followed Yeri's back until the girl entered the school area, then turned to Chaeyoung who had returned to her equipment. Slow but sure, Dahyun approached her.

"Are you training again, Chaeng?"

"That's how it is," Chaeyoung answered without raising her head. She got up and stepped toward the target cushion, intending to release the arrows that were still stuck. She knew that Dahyun was following her, helping her pull out the arrows, but she let her do that.

Dahyun handed out a number of arrows that she had removed. "Here."

Chaeyoung sighed, then accepted. "Thanks."

After the incident a few days ago, Dahyun understood Chaeyoung's treatment to her. Dahyun is indeed a jerk and selfish, who said all these beautiful things in the hospital, and destroys everything here. She started what she couldn’t account for. However, yesterday, Tzuyu and Sana made it back to see a speck of light. Tzuyu can accept her presence, why can't Chaeyoung accept Sana?

Chaeyoung had returned to sit on the bench, put the arrows in the pocket, Dahyun approached her, then sat beside her.

"Why come here again?" Chaeyoung finally asked, breaking the silence.

Dahyun smiled. "I'm curious what you're up to."

Unfortunately, Chaeyoung isn't hypnotized by that smile. "That means the other days you were not curious?"

Dahyun's smile immediately faded away. The last few days, Dahyun did refrain from stepping into this place because if she did, she would return to expecting Chaeyoung.

"Yesterday ... Tzuyu can accept me."

Chaeyoung looked at Dahyun not understanding. "What do you mean?"

"I said, she must accept my presence if she still want to be with Sana." Dahyun looked at Chaeyoung who was wide-eyed. "And she accepted it."

"Tzuyu unnie said that??" Chaeyoung exclaimed. Her sister is a person who puts logic first. What made her want to undergo this absurd relationship? Does she like Sana that much?

"Can you ... do that as well?" Dahyun asked, making Chaeyoung's eyes and mouth open wider. "Can you accept Sana without asking anything?"

Dahyun's question sounded like a joke to Chaeyoung. Even though Chaeyoung really liked Dahyun, she wasn't that crazy.

"Sorry, Sunbae." Chaeyoung shook her head. "But that sounds crazy."

"I know." Dahyun looked at the bow in the box. "But if you know the reason, you won't say that."

"What’s the reason?" Chaeyoung asked. "Oh, wait. Sunbae can't say it."

Dahyun smiled weakly. "What I can promise you is, I have no feeling of love with Sana. That's all."

Chaeyoung looked at Dahyun doubtfully, then turned her gaze on the green field. She didn’t know whether to believe in her or not. Could this be what Sana said to Tzuyu so she agreed? Did Tzuyu trust Sana?

"If I and Sana Unnie both drown in the sea, who will Sunbae save?" Chaeyoung asked suddenly.

Dahyun gulped. "Chaeng ..."

"Of course you will save Sana unnie." Chaeyoung smiled sadly. "Because you knows I can save myself."

For a while, Dahyun just looked at Chaeyoung.

"Just because I can swim doesn't mean I don't need to be saved," Chaeyoung continued. "But in the end, I will realize, that the decision that Sunbae took is right. So, Sunbae doesn't need to worry about me."

"Even though you're strong, it doesn't mean I won't be worried," breathed Dahyun. "I will regret it for life."

The raindrops have now come down, making the silence between them painful. Dahyun really will hate the rain that always comes down at the wrong time.

"Sorry, Sunbae, but I can't," Chaeyoung finally said. "This ... is too weird for me."

Dahyun can hear her own broken heart. "I understand. I should apologize. Sorry for ... our relationship didn't work."

Dahyun's words finally made Chaeyoung really fell to the bottom of the cliff. The desperate chasm was overtaken a few months ago. At that time, she hoped Dahyun would catch her, bring her to the other side, but it turned out that everything was just a dream.

The ringing of the phone broke the silence. Dahyun took the cellphone out of her pocket, then stared at the screen in horror.

Dahyun picked up the phone, really hoping nothing would happen seriously. "Hello?"

The next second, Dahyun got up. Her legs ready to take her away when she remembered Chaeyoung. Dahyun turned around, then looked at Chaeyoung, as if apologizing for having to leave her

Chaeyoung smiled back tiredly. This is precisely why she doesn't want to go through this strange relationship. She didn’t want to be a fool who was always left behind whenever Dahyun received an alarm from someone else.

Suddenly, Chaeyoung remembered her mother's words a few years ago, when she asked what it was like to fall in love. At that time, her mother answered in one sentence that she would not forget for life.

"If the most difficult thing for you to do is say 'goodbye', that's when you know you're in love."

Chaeyoung looked at Dahyun's back which was now away. Tears had pooled in her eyelids.

"Goodbye, Sunbae ..."

===

Sana peered behind the astronomy shelf, then found Tzuyu seriously looking at the backs of the books arranged on a shelf. Apparently, she was looking for books. Silently, Sana tiptoed towards Tzuyu, and closed her eyes.

"Peek-a-boo ..." Sana said as soon as Tzuyu took off her fingers and looked.

Tzuyu looked at Sana who looked cheerful, then smiled. Sana's beauty always managed to bring her mood back to good after all that happened yesterday.

Actually, Tzuyu didn't know what made her accept Dahyun's crazy request yesterday. Accepting Dahyun to stay beside Sana made her feel useless. However, for some reason Tzuyu didn't w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter