A date?

Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

14th March

Another day of work was coming to an end as Baekhyun packed up all his things and threw a coat over his slouching shoulders. The brown-haired boy swiftly made his way out of the office, locking the door with his key before it was thrown into the deep pits of his backpack to never be seen again.

Whatever it was that somehow found its way into Baekhyun's bag, could never be found again.

The boy walked down the hall with a smile lacing his lips and music blasting through his ears as he was too focused on the rhythm of the song to pay any attention to his colleagues who were bidding him goodbye. That could've come off as rude but everyone had already gotten to know Baekhyun's habits even if they seemed a bit impolite at first.

That's just how he was and nobody could ever change him.

Only when the song came to a stop and the bespectacled doctor took a quick glance around the hall, did he notice the head doctor - Zhang Yixing, waiting for an elevator as he impatiently tapped his foot on the tiles of the hall while glaring at the expensive watch that was laced around his wrist. Looking stunning as always. That was Zhang Yixing's charm.

"Doctor Zhang."

The boy was quick to make his way to the Chinese doctor's side as he called out the taller's name and pulled out one of his earphones before showing a slight bow to his superior. However, the taller only flashed him an unamused look in return.

"As far as I know, it's already past 8 o'clock, meaning that the working hours are over. Stop with the formalities already, they make me sick," Yixing complained as he imitated a gagging sound. Very mature indeed.

"And as far as I know, we're still at the hospital, meaning that you are still my boss," Baekhyun chuckled as he removed the other earphone and forced his phone into his coat's pocket.

"But you use honorifics with me even when we're outside of work... I'm tired of hearing Doctor Zhang this, Doctor Zhang that when we're going out for drinks. It makes me feel like an old man..." He paused for a second before slightly raising his voice: "And why isn't the elevator coming?!" Yixing was getting beyond annoyed with the smallest things. Today really was that day when everything would just get on his nerves. Starting from the barista mixing up his order this morning to the infuriatingly slow elevator which he had been trying to get a grip of for over two minutes now.

A smirk painted Baekhyun's lips as he couldn't help but nudge his colleague and a fellow friend in the ribs: "Important plans?"

The head doctor could only sigh in frustration: "I have a date and I don't want to be late. First impressions are important, you know? And I don't want his first impression of me to be that I'm some sloppy who can't even manage to show up on time," Baekhyun was sure that the elevator button would break any second now from all the abuse that it had to endure from the head doctor's fingers which were pressing it repeatedly with a great force. The doctor really was nervous, Baekhyun could tell.

"Look at you being all cute, Doctor Zhang," Baekhyun cooed as the taller only turned to look at him with such a cold glare that daggers could almost be seen flying out of his eyes.

An eye roll soon followed the daggers: "Byun Baekhyun, don't test me. Not today," the head doctor warned as he was about to turn around and head for the stairs, seeing that it was quite impossible to catch an elevator.

However, all of Yixing's prayers must've been answered when those damned metal doors of the elevator opened in front of the two doctors, inviting them inside.

"ing finally!" Yixing breathed out as he quickly took a step inside with Baekhyun following shortly after to not anger his fellow colleague with being a bit too slow for his liking today.

And when the doors of the elevator closed, when the head doctor pressed the button for the ground floor, only then did Baekhyun dare to open his mouth again: "So who's the lucky one? Your date?" Curiosity was so evident on the bespectacled boy's face as he took a step closer to the Chinese male.

"Kim Junmyeon." The statement was simple. Yixing was calm. Baekhyun was not.

"Kim Junmyeon?! That gorgeous, model-looking workaholic?! You're going on a date with the head of the crisis stabilization unit?!" The boy was in shock as he excitedly jumped up and down, shaking the elevator, making the head doctor flinch at the high volume of his voice.

"Keep it quiet, will you?" the head doctor tried to block his ears with his palms to cancel out Baekhyun's voice: "Remember that one time when I had to go to a conference in Busan and give a lecture to students from Busan National University?"

"Of course I do, I had to work overnight that time..." Baekhyun recalled a not-so-sweet memory of his first night that he spent in the hospital.


 

"Ghosts aren't real, psychiatric hospitals are only haunted in movies, Baekhyun..." the boy whispered to himself as he laid down on his white sofa, listening to the quiet world of the hospital around him.

'I'm never working overnight again...' - Baekhyun thought as he buried his head under that soft blanket of his. That way 'ghosts' wouldn't be able to get him.



 

"Well... Kim Junmyeon also happened to be there and later that night we went out for dinner together. He asked me out that same week but we never had the time to meet up. Up until now, of course," a shy smile rose onto Yixing's lips as the elevator came to a stop, the metal doors opened in a second.

"Holy..." Baekhyun was speechless.

The Kim Junmyeon himself asked Yixing out?

"I know right... I'm also in shock," Yixing shook his head as he walked down the enormous hall of the ground floor of the hospital with Baekhyun tracing his steps like a lost puppy.

"But what was that 'first impression' that you were so passionate about? You've met him already, it's not a big deal," Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed for a second as they passed by the front desk of the hospital.

"It's our first official date. I want it to be perfect without any ups from my side," Yixing said as they proceeded with their walk towards the main entrance of the hospital.

"Didn't know that behind all those stacks of documents you'd be able to find romance. Two workaholics dating each other... Sounds like a beautiful nightmare," Baekhyun dreamily snickered as he clapped his hands together.

"At this point, you're just asking to be hit," Yixing threatened as he turned to send Baekhyun another glare fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter