Breathe

Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I didn't have anyone else so I came here...

 

As Baekhyun was packing away his things into his bag, hanging his doctor's coat on the hanger to leave his place of work and head home after a tiring day of dealing with patients, he noticed that it had gotten dark already, the small arrow of the clock pointed that it was already past 9 pm, almost 10. Baekhyun didn't know how he had managed to work overtime again. The time just flew by without a pause.

Yet the tired brown-haired man lazily dragged his feet along the dark wooden flooring of his office as he tried to find his notes and medical records of the patients. However, the sound of his shoes hitting the ground was not even picked up by Baekhyun's ears. His hearing was blocked by the loud music that was blaring through his earphones.

Since the boy didn't have to come to the office until after lunch tomorrow, Baekhyun figured that he could use that time wisely by creating and writing down plans for each and every single one of his patients. However, his focus was mainly on the new patients named Park Chanyeol and Do Kyungsoo since he's finally gotten to know them a bit. It was time to begin the actual treatment instead of wasting time by pointlessly chatting away their precious sessions.

Once the brown-eyed boy was sure that he had packed up everything that he'll need, the boy took his bomber jacket, threw it over his shoulders, took his bag and left the office with the little bell on his key chain dangling and causing the almost empty hall of the psychiatric ward to fill up with a tender jingle. Loud music was still blaring through his earphones as he fiddled with the keys to find the right one to lock the office.

A tight grip. Baekhyun felt somebody's stone cold fingers gripping his own wrist as he was about to lock the door. The brown-haired boy almost jumped out of his skin, his mind quickly filling up with the most generic horror movie plots as they all flashed before his eyes in a span of a second. A late night, dark hallway and not even a single living creature in the radius of what seemed like a mile. A perfect scenario to get killed right here, right now.

However, as Baekhyun figuratively had a heart attack and jumped almost a meter in the air while clutching his chest, the keys along with the bell keychain from Malaysia fell to the ground with a simple echo of metal hitting the floor; Baekhyun noticed that it was Kyungsoo who was gripping his hand, despair, sadness showing in his wide eyes that almost looked like they were gleaming in the dark, reflecting the night.

"ing God..." Baekhyun cursed so loud Kyungsoo flinched, the voice of the tender doctor seemed so sharp, it could almost cut through glass. And as Baekhyun took a deep breath while still clutching his racing heart, he dramatically leaned forward as if he couldn't breathe.

"Sorry to scare you, Doctor Byun, I was... I didn't mean to-" Kyungsoo cut himself off as he removed his trembling hand from Baekhyun's wrist, taking a step back as if he was afraid of something. His lost expression was heartbreaking to the boy's bespectacled eyes.

"I'm okay, Kyungsoo, just please warn me next time when you decide to sneak up on me at the dark hours. The hospital gets creepy when there's nobody around," the doctor couldn't help but laugh at his own ridiculousness. How embarrassing.

With a soft chuckle escaping his lips, Baekhyun was now looking at the boy who came searching for him. He almost felt proud yet curious at the same time.

"Is there anything wrong, Kyungsoo? Why did you come here at this time? It's late, you should be in your room," Baekhyun looked at the boy with worried eyes. He was so fond of Kyungsoo, the black-haired boy was like a younger brother that the doctor never had.

"I just... I-" he took another step back which turned into two, which then turned into three and four, Baekhyun was afraid that the boy would run away. On the other hand, Kyungsoo's face seemed to darken with each second passing as the soft eyes, plush, heart-shaped lips and pale skin were replaced with a look of complete panic and fear. The boy looked as if his sanity has left him, his eyes slowly filling with tears. It was scarily worrying.

And as Baekhyun tried to take a step forward, the boy was quick to jump back. 

"Hey... Calm down, it's okay... You can talk to me, it's fine..." Baekhyun now spoke in a much softer, quieter voice as his brows furrowed in desolation. It hurt to see the always-smiling boy like this. The brown-haired doctor stretched out his hands in front of Kyungsoo for him to take it yet the boy only eyed the doctor in shock before hitting his hands away.

Their small encounter was soon interrupted by Kyungsoo turning away from him, ignoring him. Not hearing anything. He truly looked like a wild animal as his head shot to the left as if seeing somebody there... as if somebody was talking to him.

"No... No..." The boy shook his head as tears ran down his face. He was shaking from the looks of it and Baekhyun could do nothing but just stand there. He felt useless.

The same action repeated as Kyungsoo turned to the right, backing away from something, someone. His wide, teary eyes shot from left to right as a look of pure terror overtook the boy's face. It made Baekhyun feel more than unsettling yet he understood. Kyungsoo was in a panic.

Schizophrenia.

Baekhyun was sure.

"Breathe, Kyungsoo, breathe!" Baekhyun raised his voice the slightest bit, only for the black-haired boy to hear him over this loud, screaming silence.

He couldn't.

Kyungsoo couldn't hear him.

Kyungsoo couldn't hear him..

Kyungsoo couldn't hear him...

The boy's eyes were drowning in tears as he started losing balance in his being, his legs giving up under his feet as he stumbled back. His eyes spoke of fear.

Kyungsoo's head was filled with voices in this deafening silence. It was too loud - he wanted it to stop yet he couldn't. The voices were screeching, they were ripping him apart as the boy couldn't see, couldn't hear anymore. The real world had become distant and only the walls of the hospital hallway seemed to become smaller and smaller in seconds, he felt as if the walls were closing down on him, the pressure making his heavy head spin, dizzy. The unbearable pain in the right side of his head was overpowering his whole body. It was unbearable. So, so unbearable.

He couldn't breathe.

He couldn't breathe.

He couldn't breathe?

But he could feel.

He could hear.

He could feel the cold hands gripping his skin as if ripping it apart, the torturous gnawing on his skin and bones, the pounding in his head. Kyungsoo could feel it.

He could hear the countless voices screaming in his head in an unknown, unrecognizable language. Whispers, screeches, mumbles and cries. He could hear it all in this deafening silence.

Yet among all this mess, the boy could also feel warm hands.

Warm hands...

Warm hands?

The hands that were so warm against his skin which was covered in cold sweat. The warm hands that were gripping his shaking body...

And only then did the boy notice the warm body pressed against his own. His eyes lost the cloud of gloom that kept them locked away somewhere beyond his imagination and only the warm hands of the young doctor who was calling out his name repeatedly seemed to keep him out of this oblivion.

Darkness.

Loneliness.

Suicide.

"Look at me, Kyungsoo! Look at me!" Baekhyun's face was only inches away from Kyungsoo's yet it seemed as if the black-haired

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter