primroses

Maison Des Fleurs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mina!”

Ayeon’s scream came down the hallway before she entered the room and Mina winced, glancing nervously at Soya who hid her smirk behind her laptop. Ayeon flung the doors open and slid into the room, nearly toppling over with Jaehyun hot on her heels.

“Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.” She rushed to Mina’s side, pressing the girl’s head against her chest, squeezing her head tight. “I’m so, so happy. You’re okay.”

“Help.” Mina’s voice muffled against Ayeon’s jacket as she looked to Jaehyun pleadingly but he looked just as relieved as Ayeon.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you.” Ayeon chanted, rocking Mina side to side. "I was so worried. I thought...god, I'm just so ing grateful you're okay."

Mina weakly patted her on the shoulder, “I can’t really breathe.”

Ayeon reluctantly pulled away, gently brushing her hair out of her face, “Sorry, I’m…Mina I’m so sorry.”

“It’s fine, I can breathe now.” Mina snorted, wincing as she sat up.

Ayeon cupped Mina’s cheeks, her eyes watery, “No, I’m so sorry I left you waiting. I’m sorry I forgot to meet you in that alley. I’m sorry that you were there in the first place, I should’ve just told you to come to the flow—”

“You showed up.”

Ayeon frowned at her in confusion, “No, I mis—”

“You showed up. I’m alive because you showed up.”

Ayeon’s lips parted, in shock, “Mina…”

“You always show up when I need you.”

Oh god, she was going to full on cry.

“Thank you for the flowers, by the way.” Mina chirped, beaming at Jaehyun.

He moved closer to Ayeon, his shoulder brushing hers, “I knew you’d like them.”

“But Mina…” Ayeon’s tone shifted to the same one she used when she needed answers, “Can you remember what happened? Who did this to you?”

Mina chewed her lip nervously, “I-I can’t remember.”

“Wait what?” Ayeon breathed out.

Soya cleared , drawing eyes to her, “I spent all morning with her, I tried every trigger technique I know, and she couldn’t remember a thing after walking to the alley. The doctor said that the trauma and stress may have been the cause on top of the head injury.”

Ayeon clenched her jaw, resisting the urge to kick the garbage can clear across the room, “Mina, you’re apartment has been ransacked.”

Her eyes widened, “What?!”

“The wall in your bedroom? Everything was ripped off. And your living room and kitchen have been tossed.”

“Did…he do it?”

She nodded, “I think so. Your laptop is missing too but Mina, your laptop and the wall in your room weren’t exactly hidden from plain sight. Do you know anything someone would bother looking through your belongings for?”

“Well, my laptop had my articles and research but the list of names of the transferred officers? Yeah, I kept that on a USB in a safety deposit box at my bank.”

Jaehyun snorted and Soya scoffed, “That’s brilliant.”

Mina shrugged nonchalantly, “I’m a professional, what can I say?”

“Why would anyone want that list? The names have been revealed already.” Ayeon muttered.

Jaehyun tilted his head, “No, the last names were, Mina censored their first names. They must be looking for the entire list.”

“Which means someone on that list either attacked Mina and Ayeon or hired someone to.” Soya breathed out, stunned.

Ayeon’s mind raced as she pieced it together, “Okay, we need to get that list and review each name.”

Mina winced, pressing her hand to her side. Ayeon reached out, grazing her arm, “Not now, you need to focus on recovering. I’ll call Johnny and have him come by and you’ll stay at my place when you’re released.”

“Johnny?” Soya asked, pulling Ayeon’s attention away from Mina before she could notice the girl’s raging blush.

Ayeon waved her hand dismissively, “It’s a long story, but he’s been acting as Mina’s personal security guard lately. We’ll get the USB after, okay Mina?”

Soya nodded slowly, casting a glance at Jaehyun whose face was impassive. Mina nodded before she took a sharp breath, “Actually, there’s something I need to tell you.”

Ayeon raised her brow, her eyes narrowing when she saw Mina shift in her spot, “Remember that night at the bar when I went to meet that guy who used to work at your precinct?”

“Yeah. Hard to forget.” Ayeon deadpanned.

Mina took a deep breath, “He said I helped cover up a murder when we were talking. When I asked who he was covering for, he said I had to give him more to get that information and that’s when you came in.”

“What the ?” Soya hissed, standing from her seat.

Mina shook her head, “Keep in mind that he was really drunk and trying to get into my pants, but that’s what he told me.”

“What was his name?” Jaehyun asked.

Mina squeezed her eyes for a moment, conjuring it up in her mind, “Lee Kyung-Gyu. He was on that list, too.”

“Okay, we’ll look into him, Mina. I know this is all a lot, but…right now just put it out of your mind.”

Jaehyun nodded, “And while you were out, university students have protested, and the mayor is looking to select an Interim Commissioner. You’ve made waves.”

Soya shook her head, muttering frustrated curse words directly specifically to the men in blue, “Well, I’ve had a long night and desperately need to sleep before I can properly get mad at this entire situation. I’m leaving. It’s nice to see you alive, Mina.”

Mina made a face as Soya gathered her things and left, “She doesn’t like me, much.”

Jaehyun bit back a laugh, “Yeah, she tends to get mad on behalf of Jinah. She’ll warm up to you.”

Ayeon took a breath, gathering her thoughts before stepping back, “I’m going to track a doctor down. I’ll be right back.”

Mina waited exactly one second after Ayeon left before turning to Jaehyun, “So, what did I miss? Are you two a thing now or?”

-----

Conversations between Mina and Jaehyun hit a comfortable pace after he rolled her eyes at her bold question. It was a rare occasion that they were left alone to speak with each other but catching her up on the days she missed created something to speak about.

“What…happened to her face?” Mina asked quietly after their conversation started to slow.

Ayeon walked into the room just as Mina asked the question and stood by the door, blinking. She stared at Mina who was fiddling with her hands. None of them seemed to have noticed her entering the room with Mina’s gazed on her hands and Jaehyun’s back turned to her.

“She got cut by the guy who attacked you.” Jaehyun said while pouring water into the small potted plant.

Mina sat up, eyes wide, “By a knife? Jaehyun! Is she okay?”

“She is. It’s healing, I think it stopped hurting as much but she has to look after the wound for a while.”

“It’s gonna scar, isn’t it? . I can’t believe she’s going to have a giant scar on her face because of my . At least I can hide my wounds under my shirt.” Mina muttered to herself.

He felt an aggressive burst of attraction flow up and down his body at the thought of Ayeon before lifting his head, “Doesn’t matter. She’d still be the most beautiful woman in the room.”

Ayeon froze and Mina’s jaw dropped, “Excuse me, I’m in the room. Are you saying she’s prettier than me?”

Jaehyun grinned at her fake pout and turned, stilling when he caught Ayeon by the door, “Detective…”

“Uh…hi, yeah, the doctors want to keep you for one night and then you’re okay to go back home.”

Mina glanced at Jaehyun who fell silent, just watching Ayeon who looked restless.

“Okay.” Mina squeaked out, sweating under their gazes.

Ayeon looked away from his unashamed stare, feeling far too engulfed with whatever emotion was taking over. Why was he so good at dismembering her like that? She cleared and moved to stand on the other side of Mina’s bed, trapping her between the two of them.

“Are you okay?” Ayeon asked, brushing Mina’s hair out of her face.

She darted her gaze to Jaehyun who was staring at Ayeon with nothing short of love. Clearly, she had missed a lot since the attack, “Currently, I wish I could roll out of this room.”

-----

Jaehyun stood by the door to the seniors’ home, rocking on his heels. What he would give to hold Ayeon’s hand right now nearly had him keeling over. He hadn’t been here in years. His father was the easiest, he was the one who could face his son without looking pained with traumatic memories.

When a nurse led him to the space where his father sat, staring at a chess board with laser focus, the familiarity eased his nerves.

“Playing against yourself? That’s just sad.”

His father looked up from over his glasses, a smile growing as he took in his son, “No one else is a good enough opponent.”

“Mind if I try?”

His father gestured to the seat across from him which Jaehyun took while scanning the board. His father adjusted his glasses. “You’ve grown a lot. You look good, son.”

“I’m sorry I took so long to come and see you.” Jaehyun admitted, his heart racing.

His father shook his head, “Well, it’s not like me or your mother made it easier on you. How is she, anyway?”

Jaehyun moved his bishop, “I’m not entirely sure. I get calls from her nursing home just to get updates, but I haven’t gone to see her yet. She’s healthy though, happy I think.”

“That’s good.” His father said with a small smile, moving a crook, “I keep losing the nerve to go see her myself. I guess we’re on the same boat.”

Jaehyun stared at his father's smile, before Haerin was killed, his parents were almost embarrassingly in love. They were affectionate, doting, romantic, they were everything Jaehyun had hoped he could find. But with Haerin gone, it felt like there was no moving on, there was no going back to how things were before because that would mean they would be living their lives as if Haerin was still alive, and that was too painful for anyone to be able to fake. So instead, they chose to sacrifice their marriage, knowing that the loving days couldn't come back without being accompanied by the reminders of pain and loss and the betrayal of smiling without Hae.

“How did you know you loved mom?” Jaehyun blurted

His father looked up from the board, blinking before letting out a chuckle, “Wow, right out the gate, huh? You were always a straight shooter.”

His father tilted his head back, deep in thought as he dug through folders and folders of memories, “I didn’t have an epiphany one

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter