hydrangeas

Maison Des Fleurs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’ll have to pass.” Ayeon said as she pushed herself up, dusting herself off.

His brows quirked as he stood as well, “Was the coffee really such a deal breaker?”

“Thank you for the temporary shelter.” She said with a roll of her eyes. 

He grinned as he watched her. She gave him a last look before walking out of his shop. He enjoyed the utter stable insanity she carried with her. He hadn’t seen that in a while. Someone who had everything together but still did the most unexpected things. He walked over the counter and pulled out the newspaper from yesterday that he had tucked away. He opened it up and stared at the picture of the young officer. Was that reporter girl, right? Was there something suspicious about his death?

Ayeon didn’t seem like someone who wouldn’t admit something so monumental. But then again, what did he really know about her other than the fact that she was a detective?

And when was that enough for him to trust anyone?

-----

“Wait, what are you talking about?" Soya balked as she stirred the tomato sauce over the stove.

Jinah played dumb, just swirling her glass of wine, “It’s not that big of a deal.”

“I cannot believe you, right now.” Soya hissed, “She’s working out of his shop?”

Jinah took an innocent sip, “She’s just doing her job.”

“Oh no, you know it’s not just that. She has no reason to be there physically.” Soya said as she fretted around the kitchen, throwing together a dinner she had planned, the three of them, but the third guest had yet to arrive.

Jinah took her girlfriend’s hand in an attempt to calm her down, “Why is this upsetting you?”

“I’m not upset! I’m angry!” She bit back.

Jinah kept her voice even, “Then why is it angering you?”

“Because! Because she is my best friend, I watched her go through hell and what if all of this blows up in her face? What if he hurts her? I didn’t think she’d get this comfortable with him so quickly!”

Jinah her hand with her thumb, “She’s not all that comfortable. She was working out of the precinct today after we got rid of that Mina girl.”

“Ugh and don’t get me started on her. It’s just…Ayeon is so careful with her heart and her father really did a number on her. What if, and this is a major if, things turn romantic, but he doesn’t love her the way she wants? It could destroy whatever she has leftover from her dad. It’ll just cement whatever misconceptions she already has about being vulnerable and letting other people in.”

Jinah sighed, “You don’t even know if romance is the end game between the two. I know him, he’s someone who could be an amazing person in her life just by being in it. It doesn’t have to be romantic.  I’m not trying to set them up.“

“I’m angry because he hurt you and if he could hurt you, he could hurt her.” Soya exclaimed.

She gave her a hard look, “You know that’s not fair to him. I messed it up too.”

“I don’t care. These are people I love. I don’t have to be fair.” But Soya’s eyes softened, it was in her blood to be fair and understanding. “I feel like if she decides to love someone, there is so much riding on that relationship to work out. I don’t want her to choose someone that doesn’t understand or value that.”

“Honey, I don’t think you get a say in that.” Jinah said softly.

She huffed, “Neither do you!”

Jinah nodded, “Fair. But honestly? I couldn’t give a damn if they want to date, I just think that he could be a breath of fresh air to her. Someone who can give her a clean break.”

Soya still looked unsure, so Jinah pulled her in closer, “We need to let her make her mistakes. She needs to get better used to falling and getting back up. The more we bubble wrap her, the harder it’ll be when she falls.”

When the doorbell rang, Soya moved away to open it but Jinah stopped her, “Listen, you’re right to be protective of her. You love her and want her to be happy, she’s your best friend. Can I just ask that you don’t bring it up while she’s here? If she’s willing to open up, even unintentionally, to someone who isn’t just you and I, I think we shouldn’t make her feel about doing it.”

Soya sighed, “Okay. Fine. You’re right.”

Jinah brushed her hair to the side, “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Soya said softly, kissing Jinah before going to the door.

Ayeon grinned and held up a bottle of wine, “I’m ready to eat!”

-----

Plates clean, dirty dishes stacked in the sink, candles melted to the stub, the three of them were sprawled out on Soya’s couch abandoning the slice of cake in favour of a glass of hearty wine.

“I’m excited. We’ve booked our tickets, two weeks of white sand beaches, the bluest of blue waters and mixed drinks so sweet and alcoholic that I probably won’t even remember the vacation. I can’t wait. I might just quit so I can leave tomorrow.”

Jinah smiled, “I could use the vacation. I don’t want to see those old rats faces ever again.”

“Cheers to me being jealous.” Ayeon said while lifting her glass.

Soya tilted her head, “Why don’t you take some time off? Travel or something?”

“I literally just came back to work.” She deadpanned.

Jinah clucked her tongue, “From medical leave. You have so many vacation days saved up, use it to do something fun.”

“I don’t know. Maybe.” Ayeon said non-committedly.

Soya trod carefully, “Change might be nice. Refreshing.”

“That’s one way to describe it.” Ayeon snorted as she sipped her wine.

“Well…how else would you?” Jinah promoted.

“Change is hard. It’s frustrating. I don’t know how to do because I’m used to this version of myself.” Ayeon said as she played with the rim of her wine glass.

Jinah stared at the glass in her hand, “Being used to something doesn’t mean it’s going to make you the happiest. Trust me, I know.”

Ayeon laid down on the couch and stared up at the ceiling, “’I am happy.”

Soya’s nails dug into Jinah’s thigh as she shot her a worried look, “I know, girl.”

“So, if I’m happy, I don’t need to change. Everything will be okay. I’ll be fine. I am fine.” Ayeon said firmly.

Soya chewed on her lip, “But what if, hypothetically, change could make you happier? Like this entire time, you though your glass was full but then you take a step back and notice that the glass is actually a lot bigger and not as full.”

“I think I lost you.”

“Like, this entire time you think that you’re at your happiest, but it turns out that you didn’t realize there are things that exist out there that could’ve made you so much happier.” Soya worded out carefully.

Ayeon just groaned and rubbed her temples.

“The butterfly challenge!” Soya exclaimed, clapping her hands.

Jinah made a face, “I already hate whatever this is. Tell me more.”

“How drunk are you?” Ayeon asked incredulously.

“Hear me out. Caterpillars transform into butterflies. We’re going to transform you the same way with the butterfly challenge.”

Jinah shook her head, “Hone—”

“What’s the challenge?” Ayeon asked.

Jinah’s cut her gaze across to Ayeon who almost looked engrossed in what Soya was saying, “New Years is coming up-“

“In two months.” Jinah cut in.

Soya shot her a look, “Okay, for this challenge, whenever someone suggests something, or you think of something that you would typically not do, you have to do it!”

“Uh…” Ayeon looked uncertain.

Soya sat up, “But! It only counts if it’s something you really want to do deep down, but you wouldn’t either because of your dad, Lucas or whatever other hang up.”

“Gentle.” Jinah mumbled to Soya when she saw a hardened look pass Ayeon’s face. Soya waved her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter