hollyhocks

Maison Des Fleurs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She what?” Jinah’s whisper was so soft, so vulnerable and her eyes were trembling.

Taeil winced, rubbing his neck, “I’m sorry, I thought you knew. She found a picture of Haerin that was lost in evidence. She gave it to him for Christmas.”

Jinah’s hand unknowingly pressed against her heart, “Oh my god.”

“Jina-“ His words died when she looked up at him, tears in her eyes with the most loving smile gracing her lips.

A stunned laugh escaped her lips as she shook her head, almost in disbelief. “Soya was right.”

-----

“I don’t have a plan.”

That was the first thing Ayeon said to Jaehyun when he met her by the corner that she had instructed him to by text.

Jaehyun didn’t care.

He absolutely could not care that she had no plan. She chose to spend her day with him, outside his shop, outside of her work, outside of duty and obligation. He didn’t care that she didn’t have a plan because she was standing in front of him with a snug beret capping the wavy black hair spilling over her shoulders and a soft sweater tucked under her jacket.  

He had never seen her like this before.

“That doesn’t seem like you.” He said with a smile that had her wincing and looking away, embarrassed.

She chewed on her lip, “I want it on record that I tried hard figuring something out.”

“The record shows it.” He replied with a wider smile, nudging her shoulder with hers.

Her lips twitched, ease soothing her shoulders into a relaxed slouch. She had blurted out the invitation last night and then scrambled to find something to do only to end up exposing the fact that up until he called her, her Sunday was meant for laundry and television.

They walked down the street, silence draping over them comfortably as they moved with aimless purpose. It was new to Ayeon, to be around someone who left her mind in peace, who didn’t rattle her into a pit of discomfort. He could induce a silence that didn’t follow with her muscles stiffened, like an animal waiting to be attacked. His silence was not predatory, it was welcoming, healing.

“You’re the first woman I’ve been out with in a while.”

Her eyes narrowed as she glanced at him, “I’m not out with you.”

His smile was disarming, and she was a cop. She hated being disarmed, “We’re outside, detective. So, technically you are out with me.”

“Why am I the first woman?” She deflected nicely.

He looked forward, zeroing in on a little pastry shop that he thought she’d like, “When all you have in your name is a little flower shop that barely had ends meeting, you learn that you don’t have time for a lot.”

“But you make time for me.” She said dubiously.

He reached for the door of the pastry shop, holding it open for her. She stared up at the sign, looking at him quickly before stepping in. He followed closely behind, and she was acutely aware of him and his nearness.

“There are certain things that you don’t have to make an effort to make time for, you just naturally find the time.”

-----

“Jaehyun, no.” She hissed, gripping his wrist tightly, fighting off the piece of chocolate that he was determined to get her to eat.

His grin was so stunningly blinding that people around them had started to stare at him.

“C’mon, detective. Chocolate covered crickets are a delicacy in some parts of the world.” He sang, only fueling her glare. The two of them had a pleasurably nice time perusing display cases of sweets, picking and choosing before Jaehyun had wandered off to the international section.

Much to her nightmare.

“I’ll throw you in jail.” She scowled, looking at the cricket for half a second before groaning in disgust. “I can’t believe you’re doing to this to me. I don’t even think the French eat this.”

They were tucked in the corner of the shop, seated at the only table available, meaning they were crammed on either side of a small table, their knees pressed against each other.

He let out a mock gasp, “There’s no way a detective, a crime fighter, a hero, would cower in front such a small arthropod.”

She nearly gagged, “Why would you call it an arthropod? You’re not helping.”

“C’mon.” His voice dipped, lower, softer, more taunting that it had her looking to his eyes, latching onto the richness of them.

She hated when he did this.

She hated when he spoke to her in a way that would most likely repeat itself in her head when it was quiet, and she was alone.

“Don’t make me eat that thing and I’ll owe you a favour.” She whispered.

His wrist immediately slackened in her grip. “You’re toying with Pandora’s Box, detective.”

“Toying with? I’ve flung it open at this point, just drop the arthropod.” She muttered.

On command, he let go of the bug, letting it fall unceremoniously into a paper cup. She sighed in relief before releasing his hand. “Do you think it was worth it? I could ask you for anything. You might regret it.”

Her lips twitched and he watched, in awe as a smile curled up her lips as she pushed the paper cup away from her, “As long as it doesn’t involve a cricket, I’ll be okay.”

“You two are such a beautiful couple.”

Ayeon looked up at the older woman who had materialized next to their table, glammed up with a slick of red lipstick who smiled at them. Jaehyun’s eyes immediately fell on Ayeon, who looked confused and perturbed.

“What?” Ayeon’s voice was clear and crisp, void of a tremor but still demanding a response. Like she wouldn’t let the woman leave until she gave one. “Why would you say that?”

The woman’s smile faltered for half of a second as her eyes darted questioningly to Jaehyun who revealed nothing. “I just…just thought you two were quite lovely as a couple.”

Ayeon said nothing, her face falling blank as her eyes penetrated the woman until she skittered off with an awkward cough. Ayeon’s brows furrowed as she continued to stare off into the space where the woman just was. Jaehyun couldn’t properly decipher the knot in his gut while he began to gather the scraps of their food.

“Let’s go.” He said softly, just to her.

“No.”

He stilled, looking up at her, she was facing him, leaning back in her chair and stared at him as if she was trying to figure something out. “Let’s stay.”

-----

“I got you something.”

“You can keep it.” She said quickly.

After spending hours walking down streets and streets of vintage shops, they had retired back in the closed flower shop, all the lights off except for the small lamp on her table. His back was to her, as he boiled water to make them tea. “I don’t think I’d have much use for it if I did.”

It unnerved her how nothing she ever said fazed him, in his soft pastels and lyrical voice, he’d just toss a comment right back at her, like he expected her responses.

“When did you even find the time to get me something?” She balked as he slowly turned to her.

He tilted his head, “Detective, do you know how much you’ve given me?”

“Fine.” She sighed. “Let me have it.”

“Close your eyes, detective.”

She gave him a look, “What if I refuse?”

“I’ll wait.”

“What if I never agree?” She shot back.

“I have patience.”

Rolling her eyes, she closed them and held out her hands, “Give it.”

She felt his hands first, smoothing over her palms softly before something weighted was placed in them.

“Okay.” He said gently. “Open.”

Ayeon opened her eyes and stiffened when she stared at the little music box in her hands with a ballerina posing on top.

“What.” She rasped out, unable to pull her eyes from the delicate painting and woodwork.

He reached a hand out and brushed her hair out of her face, “I thought about it, and no matter how much we want it, we don’t get do-overs. That’s okay because it just means we get to forge new paths.”

She said nothing and just held the music box up to her face as if to analyze every single molecule of it.

“You…bought me this.” She repeated to herself as thumbed the gold swirls.

“I think I know what my favour is.” He said abruptly

She raised a brow and lowered the music box away from her face, “That was quick. Not even 24 hours.”

“I don’t think I need any more time to think about it.” He said crossing his arms.

She shook her head, “Let’s hear it. Just know that I will not break the law.”

“You gave your insight on my love life last night. I want to know about yours.” He quipped.

“I don’t have one.” She said simply, busying herself with the music box.

His eyes warmed with this kind of kindness that made people want to share their dirtiest secrets without the fear of judgement, “I don’t want to know your history. That’s yours. I want to know about you now.”

“I feel like I’ve spent enough time with you that you would’ve known if I was seeing anyone.” She said passively.

He watched as she wound up the music box, letting the electronic rendition of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker play. She smiled and he wondered if she had ever danced to the song and if memories were flashing in her mind as she lis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter