tansies

Maison Des Fleurs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Mina opened the door and met Ayeon’s eyes from her spot on the couch, her jaw dropped. Ayeon wasn’t in her dress yet, just wrapped up in a silk robe but her hair and makeup were done, and Mina was stunned. She had never seen Ayeon like that, with dark black eyeshadow smoked out with a little bit of silver in the corner of her eyes and under her brow. Her cheekbones glimmered and her lips were coated in something close to . Her hair was put up in an intricate updo, with strands strategically waved.

“Holy .” She muttered.

Ayeon blinked and then frowned, “What’s wrong?”

“You’re so pretty.”

Ayeon looked taken aback for a second before a cheeky smile appeared, “Why do you sound surprised?”

“Don’t get cocky.” Mina bemoaned, shutting the door behind her.

Ayeon’s lip crooked up, “What are you doing here? Aren’t you prepping for tonight?”

“I am. I just felt…weird, this entire thing is surreal. I kinda just wanted to see your face.” Mina admitted shyly.

Ayeon smiled, “Are you nervous?”

“A little…but the adrenaline is keeping me occupied.” She said with a sigh.

Ayeon nodded in understanding, scanning the purplish circles under her eyes, “You’ll be okay, I’ll be there, nothing bad will happen.”

Mina gave her a soft smile before furrowing her brow, “By the way, who are you taking with you? Jaehyun said he isn’t going with you.”

Ayeon shifted awkwardly before her phone beeped, “You should go. Jinah and Soya are coming over with my dress in 5 minutes, they shouldn’t see you here.”

“Okay, okay but are you going to see him before you go? Jaehyun, I mean.” Mina asked.

She blinked at her, confused, “No, why would I? He’s in the opposite direction.”

Mina shrugged, “Because you look amazing, and he’s never seen you in a dress.  I think his reaction would be worth it.”

“Why are you so hell-bent on me and him? What does it matter to you?” She asked exasperatedly.

“Because I’m around you two a lot and it’s suffocating seeing the two of you talk to each other like you would die for one another. Like you’re not madly in love with each other.” Mina said with a look of annoyance and disgust crossing over her features.

Her heart tumbled and she had to suppress the urge to panic and flee at the word love. “That’s ridic—

“Also,” she said softer, “all I’m learning about the last few months is that people are monsters, that don’t care for each other and just focus on their own greed. When I see you and Jaehyun, apart and together, I think oh maybe it’s not all and I just, almost desperately, need something good to come out of all of this.”

Ayeon wasn’t expecting the direction Mina had gone. “But something good will come of this, you’re making this city a better place.”

She nodded, “I know, I know. If this works out it’ll be great but who knows what will happen after that? If the city will actually stay better or if someone else will come and make it rotten? I want to see something with a happy ending. Something I know will be and end good. And I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable but I have my sights set on the feelings you and Jaehyun have for each other.”

“Mina, I-“

“I should go!” She announced, heading to the door before shooting her a confident smile, “See you there.”

-----

Jinah and Soya showed up shortly after Mina left and she was relieved that they somehow didn’t cross paths. Soya stormed in, carrying three dresses when Ayeon specifically asked her to just bring one.

“Not the red. I think it’s too saucy for the event. And the green looks too much like a summer dress.”

Jinah threw her arms up in the air, “Then why did you insist on bringing them?”

Soya shot her girlfriend a look, “Because I didn’t know until I held it up in front of Ayeon. Here, take the silver one.”

That’s how Ayeon ended up stepping into a thin strapped silver number with intricate bead work covering every inch of the gown as it hugged every curve, even ones she didn’t know she had.

“Soya! Help me!” Ayeon yelled from the bathroom.

Soya scampered after her, seeing the girl struggle with the zipper. “I got you, I got you. There we go. Wow.”

Ayeon turned and faced the mirror. It really was something special and the long pearl drop earring lent to her courtesy of Jinah made her look all the more elegant. “How do you look better in it than I do? I always look better in my clothes.”

She snorted as she followed Soya out to the living room where Jinah was setting out different shoe options. She looked up and gasped, “Look at you! You gorgeous thing.”

Ayeon gave her a dry laugh and grabbed the first pair of shoes she could reach before Soya ripped them out of her hands and replaced them with another pair, “I can’t believe I’m doing this.”

Jinah blinked at her, “I was surprised too. What happened to him I won’t go?”

“I felt like giving him more reasons to hate me might not be the best move.” She lied. The truth wasn't ripe yet.

She slipped the heels on and straightened up as Soya skirted around her, adjusting the hem. “Well? Do I look like the winner of a made-up award to impress the public?”

“Absolutely.” Jinah cooed.

Soya rolled her eyes, “She’s just saying that because you got her and Jaehyun talking again…but yes, you look perfect.”

“Are you taking anyone with you?” Jinah asked, “The Commissioner said you could bring someone.”

“Jaehyun?!” Soya gasped.

Ayeon made a face, “No, I wouldn’t drag him anywhere near other cops. I made other arrangements.”

Jinah tilted her head, “With whom?”

“Look at the time! I need to do some last-minute things and head out. I’ll see you guys in the morning.” She exclaimed with a clap.

“Wh—” But Ayeon was herding everyone out, rushing Soya as she tried to pack away all the shoes and accessories she brought until everyone was out of the apartment and it was just her and a ticking clock.

Half an hour passed until the silence was broken with a steady knock at her door. She let out a long breath and opened it to reveal the person on the other side.

Johnny Suh stood before her, dressed in a suit and a mega-watt smile.

-----

“You look beautiful.” He mused, an easy smile working up his lips.

She gave him a terse nod, moving around his outstretched hand and substituting it for an amiable pat on the arm, “Thanks for doing this again.”

“Ah, this is strictly business.” He teased as she locked up and followed him out to his car.

She smiled slightly at that, “So it seems.”

“Well, I think I need to start charging you by the hour.” He snorted as he walked up to a black jeep.

She had called Kath, the woman insisted Ayeon take her number and managed to pull Johnny’s number from her. Kath was all too enthusiastic to share. She had mulled over the idea of bringing him with her as she stared at his number and if it wasn’t for how quickly he picked up her call, she might’ve backed down.

“Tell me again what this event is?” He asked as he put the venue’s name, a famous museum, into his GPS.

She gripped the seatbelt tight. “It’s the Commissioner’s Ball. It’s this big gala he holds every year, basically to schmooze stakeholders and rub shoulders with the people who are going to get him re-elected to the position.”

“And you were invited?” He balked.

She snorted, “Yeah, apparently I’m being honored with some award.”

“Well, , I’m in the presence of greatness.” He joked.

She laughed before fading into a sigh, “But I have to remind you, the people there, they aren’t the easiest going. Prepare for fake smiles, empty laughter and me trying to avoid human interaction all night long.”  

“I am the exact opposite. It’ll be great.”

-----

Her entire body fell stiff the minute she walked into the venue next to Johnny who offered his arm for her to take but she had just gently pushed it away, telling him not to worry about optics.

He laughed again, “Business runs in your blood.”

The museum was nice, and she was sure that if she had been there under other circumstances, she might’ve actually enjoyed herself. But the rigidness in her muscles just weren’t soothing away. He handed her a glass of something bubbly that was being passed around and although she accepted it graciously, she never took a sip, just holding onto it like an accessory.

“Can I ask you something?”

She nodded, glancing at him from the side of her eyes. He slipped his hands into his pockets as they strolled aimlessly around the ballroom, just far enough from the crowd where she didn’t have to mingle.

“Why did you ask me to accompany you to this thing? We met once, not that I mind, but I’m sure there are other people you could’ve taken.”

She sighed, “Honestly? It’s because you’re the one person that isn’t either a cop or have a history with them. I need someone like you, someone who knows how to act like a cop without actually being one.”

“And that’s an important criterion because…”

“You’ll find out soon.” She said vaguely, glancing at her watch.

He chuckled, “You’re mysterious and I’m greatly flattered.”

She smiled sheepishly, “I’m sorry I’m not a better guest. These types of things just leave me a bit more high-strung than I’m used to.”  

He shook his head, “Don’t apologize, I didn’t actually think our paths would ever cross after Kath’s wedding.”

Her steps slowed and she finally turned to him properly with an uneasy look on her face, “I’m sorry, this invitation might’ve been confusing and misleading.  I’m not…I’m not interested in anything more than this one night.”

“That’s okay, Ayeon. I get it. But that doesn’t mean tonight has to be torture. We can enjoy ourselves, for one night.” He said with an easy smile. She wondered if anything ever bothered him or upset him. He was always grinning or smiling.

She nodded as if she was here for any other reason except to help Mina detonate a figurative bomb. She had to wait exactly an hour before she excused herself to the loading dock doors where Mina would wait to be let in. When she was emailed the itinerary for the night, they had agreed that the best time for Mina to barge in would be just as Ayeon was announced for the award. What better time to up than when someone was trying to look good?

So, Ayeon and Johnny just milled about, strategically shifting away whenever someone headed towards them with the intent to strike up a conversation. In the instances where they were trapped in mindless drabble with someone they didn’t know, she smiled dutifully and introduce herself properly before Johnny would whisper nonsense in her ear, acting like she had some place to be as if he was her assistant and she was important.

Finally, the time had come.

Cameras with different broadcast logos were set up by the stage and the volume in the room started to hush as everyone’s attention was drawn to the front where a podium with the Seoul Police Department logo was placed. She glanced at her watch before looking at Johnny, “I’ll be back.”

He looked at her, bewildered, “Now? Don’t you have to go up on stage soon?”

“Don’t worry.” She said with a grin, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

She was right, she was back next to Johnny just as the Commissioner took to the stage. She was slightly out of breath and her skin felt cold. He stared at her incredulously, “Did you go outside? ”

“I need you to help me.” She mumbled, glancing at her watch once again before scanning the room.

Johnny raised a brow, “Not sure what I can do here, but shoot.”

“Something dramatic is going to happen just as my name will be called, the second it’s over, you need to grab her and get her into your car as fast as possible. I’ll meet you by the corner a block away.”

He blinked before frowning, trying to keep up with how fast she spoke, “Her? Her who?”

“You’ll know who, trust me.”

“…And to honor the exceptional bravery that is indicative in every police officer and the actions to protect this city in the face of adversary, to remind every citizen that their trust in the police force should remain unfaltering, I am proud to present this badge of honor is presented to Detective Yoo Ayeon of the Seoul Precinct.”

She cursed lightly under her breath but smiled demurely, holding the hem of her dress as she made a show towards the stage where the Commissioner and other officials stood, applauding. Her steps were calm and timed as she caught Mina racing towards the stage, dressed in all black, her own mic set attached to her shirt.

Ayeon had barely made it 5 feet when Mina spoke.

“Commissioner the people want to know why you’ve been accepting thousands of dollars in bribes to transfer problematic officers to other precincts instead of carrying out the proper discipline policies.”

The cameras swung from Ayeon and pointed to the stage where Mina stood. The crowd stared in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter