Earth and Snow

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*3rd Person POV*

Youngjae watched as the servants scurried around in preparation for the large ceremony. The carriages had been set up, clothes, jewelry, and make up were already prepared. Decorations were set. The only person who was missing was Kikwang.

“Have you seen his highness?” One of the servants asked the other. The other shook her head. “Have you guys seen Prince Kikwang?” a flustered Himchan walked up to them. The two shook their heads. Himchan groaned, “Where could he be? This place isn’t that big.” He grumbled. They had to be on time. That was the Queen’s strict order. There were too much to be done fore time to be wasted. “Go check outside. I’ll check his room again.” Himchan instructed. The two servants nodded and the three split up.

“How is everything going?” Youngjae’s mother asked when she arrived at the mansion. “Umma!” Youngjae greeted his mother with a hug. “Everything is set up…but Kikwang is missing.” He informed, releasing his embrace. “Missing?” His mother repeated.

“Yeh. No one can find him. I don’t even know where he is.” He confessed. His mother laughed at this. “He’s probably just nervous. I don’t think he took the marriage seriously. It’s probably all hitting him now.” She explained. Youngjae thought about it and slowly nodded in understanding, though he couldn’t imagine the elder being that nervous.

At that moment Kikwang stumbled into the living room. “I think I’m gonna puke.” He held his stomach as he entered the living room.

“Ms. Yoo! You’re here!” he said, relieved to see her, giving her a hug. The woman chuckled, “Everything okay?” She asked him. “I don’t know.” He confessed. “I was fine all week until this morning.” He groaned. Ms. Yoo patted him gently on the shoulder. “It’s just wedding jitters.” She assured him. “Jitters?” Kikwang scoffed, “I’m not nervous. Why would I be nervous?” Youngjae chuckled at the elder’s change in demeaner.

“There you are.” Himchan said breathlessly, re-entering the living room. He bowed and greeted Ms. Yoo. “Now that everyone is here, it’s time to get you two changed and prepared for the ceremony. Please follow me.” Himchan kindly instructed with much urgency. A guard then entered the room and announced that Youngjae’s ride was ready.

Kikwang’s eyes slightly widened at the news. “You’re not staying?” He asked his younger brother. Youngjae shook his head. “I can’t. I have to go back to the palace and change.” The elder prince frowned, “I should’ve asked Queen Yoon to make you part of the wedding.” He groaned. “You’ll be fine. You don’t need me.” Youngjae smiled. He gave his brother a tight hug. “You got this. I’ll see you later.” He whispered. Youngjae released his embrace and followed the guard out the mansion.

 

Youngjae felt as if he were going to vomit on his ride back to the castle. He’d been feeling the urge for the past few days along with the unforgivable urge to cough. However, he always hid it from Kikwang. Himchan helped him by giving him a small spoonful of cough syrup and tea every morning and evening to help with his coughing. The elder suggested that he might’ve been catching a cold. But Youngjae didn’t feel sick.

He didn’t understand why he was coughing and gagging. “Maybe I’m nervous for Kikwang.” He said to himself, unconvinced by his own words. He was happy and excited for his brother. Why would he be nervous? He knew Kikwang would be okay.

 

Jaejoong waited at the entrance of the castle, Kyungsoo and Yoseob next to him. They bowed when the Snow Prince stepped out the carriage. “Did you have fun?” Jaejoong greeted with a smile, glad that the prince was able to spend time with his brother. Youngjae nodded, unable to hide his grin. “Good. How are you feeling?” Jaejoong questioned.

“I feel…I feel good.” Youngjae answered.

He didn’t want to tell him about his coughing and gagging. He could tell how happy the elder man was. Probably because of the time he got to spend with the king…that’s what he assumed. However, Kyungsoo caught his hesitation but didn’t say anything. “Good. Now let’s get you ready.” Jaejoong said.

“Ready?” Youngjae repeated.

“Yes. It’s a traditional wedding. So, all the guests are required to wear their traditional attire of their kingdom.” Jaejoong explained. “Oh. So, what will I be wearing?” The snow prince asked. “The fire kingdom’s attire.” The negotiator answered. “Oh.” Was all the prince could say. He didn’t feel worthy enough to wear traditional fire attire. But am I still worthy of wearing snow attire? He thought to himself. Jaejoong gave him an encouraging smile and took his hand, “Come on. We don’t have much time.”

Jaejoong led him to the large room that he and Daehyun were to share. “Where’s Daehyun?” Youngjae asked once he got over how large the room was. “He and King Jung are already at the ceremonial grounds.” Jaejoong informed. Youngjae’s eyes widened, “Am I late?” He asked. “No. We just have to be there before the royal families arrive. But we have to be quick.” The negotiator said.

The young prince nodded and quickly prepared to get in the bath that was already prepared for him. While he bathed the other three changed into their traditional garments as well.

When the prince finished bathing, Kyungsoo gave him his herbal medicines. “Are you okay?” He stole the opportunity to ask now that they were alone. “I’m fine.” Youngjae assured him. The elder looked at him unconvinced. “I-I just have a little cough.” Youngjae slightly confessed.

“You should tell Jaejoong.” Kyungsoo told him. “I can’t. Not today. I just want to focus on my brother.” Youngjae frowned. The nurse sighed, “Fine.” He gave in. “Here.” He handed him an extra dose of his medicine. “Thank you.” Youngjae thanked graciously, accepting the wooden cup. “But if you feel anything weird or uncomfortable. Please tell me.” Kyungsoo stressed. “I will.” Youngjae promised.

Minutes later Jaejoong and Yoseob returned. “Wow. You look amazing.” Youngjae said in awe to the negotiator. The gold on his outer robe seemed to glow off his skin. The elder blushed, not expecting the compliment. “Let’s get you changed.” He said returning straight to business to hide his embarrassment.

They layered the snow prince in long thin robes of pale gold and white before tying thick, silk, golden obi around his waist. A long, red silk robe was placed over his garments. Golden ribbons lined the outside of the robe, with a large golden dragon embroider on the back. “done.” Jaejoong smiled placing a round, thin, white headband on the top of the prince’s head.

Youngjae stared at the body mirror, not believing what he was seeing. Never had he imagined wearing traditional wear of another kingdom. “I feel weird.” He confessed. “You look great.” Jaejoong said proudly, gently squeezing the young boy’s shoulders. “We need to go now or else we’ll be late.” He reminded. Youngjae nodded and followed the ravenous man out the room.

Junsu waited for them outside the palace and escorted them to the ceremonial grounds all the way to the back of the palace grounds. Youngjae’s eyes grew wide at the amount of people sat at their respective spots. “All of the kingdoms are here?” he whispered, recognizing the symbols of each kindom that was on the back of their robes. The royal families were sat close to the large decorated platform with the Earth nobles seated at the perimeter. The snow family and Earth family were seated closest to the platform. Neither of the Kings and Queens of the uniting families were there, except for Queen Jang, who sat next to Hyungseung.

Junsu led them to their spot, directly behind the snow family. King Jung smiled at the sight of Jaejoong as he sat down next to him. However, Jaejoong ignored his stare, knowing what would happen if he acknowledged it. Daehyun couldn’t help his own smile as Youngjae obliviously sat down next to him amazed by his surroundings. The Fire King’s and prince’s garments were highly decorated with gold and their underlying color as black instead of white. And the king had two dragons on the back of his robe, representing the two dragon lovers.

“Youngjae!” YeEun spotted the third snow prince first, causing the other two snow family members to turn around. Youngjae smiled at Hyungseung and YeEun. He bowed his head to Queen Jang. “Looking sharp.” Hyungseung smiled, referring to his brother’s attire. “Thank you.” Youngjae thanked somewhat embarrassed.

“Hello Youngjae. How are you?” Queen Jang asked, seeming annoyed. “I’m-,”

“Much better without you. Thanks for asking.” Daehyun cut Youngjae off before he could answer.

Youngjae’s eyes widened at this, “Daehyun.” He gasped.

Queen Jang frowned. “I would watch your tongue if I were you. You forget who you’re talking to.” She warned. “I won’t let it slide all the time.”

“Is there a problem?” King Jung questioned, overhearing the conversation. “Everything is just fine.” Queen Jang lifted her chin before turning back around. “Tch.” King Jung scoffed. “Yunho, don’t start any trouble.” Jaejoong warned him quietly. However, the King ignored him and glared at the Queen. “I’m serious. I don’t want to clean up any of your messes right now.” Jaejoong urged.

Yunho relaxed. “Fine. Only because I don’t want to send you out to another kingdom again.” He gave in. Jaejoong shook his head.

Just then the fire king was flicked in the back of his head. “Yah!” He spun around. However, he was forced to swallow his rage when he saw Consort Jiyoung smirking at him. “What’s up firehead?” The fire king let out an irritated groan. “Jiyong.” Jaejoong shook his head, a slight laugh escaping his lips.

“I don’t think you should’ve said that.” Youngjae said, feeling the familiar sense of Queen Jang’s anger. “You only said that I had to be nice to Jaejoong not her.” Daehyun said folding his arms. “Can you be nice to her?” Youngjae asked sweetly. “No.” Daehyun answered. The younger pouted at this. “Please?” “No. But you’re cute when you pout like that.” The fire prince complimented, forcing a deep blush from him.

“There’s a lot of people here.” Youngjae said, deciding to change the subject. “Yeah! The whole world is here!” Someone exclaimed.

The two turned around to see that it was Prince Junhong. “Really?” Youngjae asked in amazement. Junhong nodded, “Well maybe not the entire world, but all the kingdoms have a least one representative here. Even the Celestial Kingdom is here. They’re setting up the rituals and performing the blessings.”

“Whoa! That’s amazing.” Youngjae looked around to get a glimpse of the Kings, Queens, Consorts, Princesses, and Princes from the other kingdoms.

At that moment a trumpet was sounded. E

Please log in to read the full chapter