Nine: Confessions

The Second Summer of the Boys

A/N: Happy late thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate it! I am honestly thankful for all of my subscribers. Writing is the thing in my life that keeps me sane, motivated, and happy, so thank you all for supporting that! I hope you look forward to the rest of this story. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few days straight of activities, the boys all just wanted a break. All eighteen of them crammed into E1, trying to think of what to do. 

"We can make friendship bracelets!" Sicheng suggested excitedly, and everyone agreed, Taeil and Johnny volunteering to get everyone the string. 

After taking everyone's color orders they left the cabin hand in hand, Taeil's small fingers interlacing with Johnny's much larger ones. 

"It's nice to get some peace and quiet, you know?" Johnny said softly, the sounds of children playing in the far off distance. The figured the younger ones must have had activities that day, as the rest of camp looked almost abandoned. 

"Yeah," Taeil said softly, briefly leaning against Johnny's side as they walked. He looked up at Johnny and smiled. Johnny looked down at him and right then, he noticed how much height difference there was between them. 

Taeil had to admit that part of him enjoyed being so much smaller than Johnny. Johnny was just so tall, big, and muscular; it made Taeil feel so protected. Whenever Johnny held him at night while they fell asleep, he was surrounded by warmth. He could just bury his face in Johnny's broad chest, and feel like everything was right with the world. 

But, part of him was a little salty, and he was going to complain about it, whether or not he really cared all that much. "It's unfair that you're so damn tall. Like, why did you get all this height and not me?" Taeil complained. 

Johnny chuckled and ruffled his hair. "But you're so tiny and cute," Johnny cooed. 

"Don't patronize me," Taeil responded, faking a glare. Johnny just kissed the top of his head, conitinuing to walk. 

"My dad is super tall though, blame him instead," Johnny said. 

"So is my dad!" Taeil whined. "So unfair," he mumbled. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Once Johnny and Taeil got everyone their string, Taeyong and Ten were sitting in a corner, making bracelets. Ten finished his quite quickly. 

"Do you want this?" He offered to Taeyong. Taeyong showed him his wrist, which was already adorned with bracelets. 

"I have at least five from last year." 

"Me too," Ten admitted, showing Taeyong his own wrist. 

"We could give it to the kids?" Taeyong suggested, and Ten immediately smiled. 

"That's a great idea!" 

Ten stood up from his spot and walked across the cabin, tiptoeing over long limbs until he got to where Chenle and Jisung were sitting. They were attempting to make bracelets themselves; since it was their first time they were a bit slow, but they looked quite nice. Ten felt Taeyong's presence behind him, and he knew Taeyong had a bracelet for them too. 

"Sungie, I made you a bracelet," Ten said with a grin. Jisung beamed up at Ten. 

"Really?"

Ten nodded, crouching down to tie it on Jisung's small wrist. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Taeyong doing the same with Chenle. "Do you like it?"

"I love it! Thanks mom," Jisung said casually to Ten. Ten immediately froze, trying to stop the smile from coming onto his face. Even though he was just a fifteen year old boy, he already felt so protective in a frankly motherly way of Chenle and Jisung, and to hear them get called that just made him feel so good. 

"No problem," Ten responded as he and Taeyong walked back to their spot. 

"Chenle just called me dad!" Taeyong whispered as soon as they were out of earshot of the kids. 

"Jisung called me mom!" Ten responded, and the tried to restrain themselves from excited squealing. 

"Wait...where's Jungwoo?" Doyoung suddenly asked as the boys sat on the floor of the cabin. They all looked up from their friendship bracelets, eyes scanning the room. Jungwoo normally went unnoticed anyways, since he was quite quiet, but to not hear a peep out of him was strange. 

"He's not in here," Jaehyun responded slowly. 

"Where could he be?" Taeyong asked, looking up at Yukhei expectantly. 

"I don't actually know," Yukhei responded. "He's been acting weird all day. He looked so sad and he's been avoiding me too. I tried looking for him earlier but I couldn't find him." 

Doyoung got up immediately. "I'm gonna go look for him." Yukhei made a move to stand up with him, but Doyoung brushed him away. "I kinda want to be alone anyways." Yukhei sat back, the worried look still on his face, as Doyoung pushed his way out of the cabin. 

Worry began to bubble in his stomach. Where could Jungwoo be? Jungwoo was always with Yukhei, and if not himself, plus everyone else was in the cabin. But if Jungwoo wanted some alone time, wouldn't he have told Yukhei? He would've known the others would go out to look for him. 

Doyoung scoured every area of camp he could think of: the dining hall, the ledge, the bridges, the field, the pool, the art shack, and even the store. Doyoung sighed, about to go all the way down to the beach, when he realized he should check in the bathroom. 

He pushed his way into the bathroom, loud crying turning to muffled sniffles at the sound of the old wooden door creaking. 

"Jungwoo?" Doyoung called. No response. "Jungwoo, I know you're in here." Doyoung sighed at the silence, toying with every stall door until he got to one that was locked. "Jungwoo, come on. Tell me what's going on." 

Hesitantly, the door opened. A very tearful Jungwoo was crouched inside, sitting on top of the toilet seat with red rimmed eyes and teary cheeks. "Jungwoo, what's going on?" Doyoung asked with genuine worry. Even though they'd just become friends, he truly didn't like seeing Jungwoo like this.

Jungwoo stood up and closed the stall door so he and Doyoung were stuck inside. He sniffled a little before talking. "W-well, Yukhei and I are really close, right?" Doyoung nodded expectantly, trying not to get the urge to kill Yukhei despite not knowing what he did. "And...and, nobody has ever flirted with me before, right? B-but Yukhei was acting so weird with me, I guess I just assumed he was flirting. I assumed wrong," Jungwoo finished with a pout. 

"What happened?" Doyoung cried, trying not to get super angry on Jungwoo's behalf. 

"S-so last night I wrote him a letter telling him how I felt, because I was too scared to say it in person. I put it in the pocket of the jacket he always wears. And today he put on the jacket, but...nothing. He hasn't said anything about it to me. He must be ignoring it to make sure I don't feel bad. But I just feel worse!" At this, Jungwoo began to cry again, his face in his hands. 

"So you're saying...you gave Yukhei a love note, and he hasn't said anything about it to you, so you think he rejected you?" 

Jungwoo nodded, and Doyoung pulled him into a hug. Jungwoo hugged back tightly with a pout. 

"I'm gonna go have a talk with him, alright?" Doyoung said softly. "You can come back with me, but if you're too embarrassed you can stay here too." 

"I-I'm gonna stay," Jungwoo said softly, crouching onto the chair. Doyoung ruffled his hair affectionately. 

"I promise everything will work out for the best. I know that's probably not what you wanna hear right now, but if he doesn't like you, then I promise he wasn't good enough for you in the first place." 

At this, Jungwoo managed the tiniest of smiles. "I'll be back soon," Doyoung promised, and Jungwoo nodded. 

Doyoung left the stall and Jungwoo locked it behind him, Doyoung rushing to Yukhei. Yes, he knew Yukhei could be a bit of a ditz sometimes, but he didn't think he was capable of being that cruel to Jungwoo. 

As soon as he reached their cabin, instead of going all the way in he just stuck his head through the door. "Yukhei, I need to talk to you."

Yukhei nodded immediately, putting his hands in his jean pockets and following Doyoung out. Doyoung noticed he really was wearing a letterman football jacket, the one he seemed to wear every day. 

Doyoung and Yukhei walked a short distance from the cabin, and Doyoung could see Yukhei was quite nervous. Doyoung knew he could be mean if he wanted to, but maybe part of Yukhei's nerves had to do with Jungwoo. 

"What's going on with Jungwoo?" Yukhei asked immediately, worry evident in his tone. 

"Did Jungwoo...give you anything?" Doyoung asked, ignoring Yukhei's question. 

Yukhei shook his head. "No. He's barely talked to me all day." 

"When's the last time you looked in your pockets?" 

"I dunno," Yukhei responded with a laugh. Doyoung released a deep sigh; of course Yukhei just hadn't noticed Jungwoo's note. 

"Why don't you check them right now?" 

Yukhei began to dig through his pockets, Doyoung hearing the sound of old napkins and crumpled plastic inside, until finally Yukhei pulled out a piece of paper with Jungwoo's handwriting etched on. 

"I'm gonna leave you to process that alone. Goodbye," Doyoung said, soothed now that he knew Yukhei hadn't intended to cause any harm. 

As Doyoung walked away, Yukhei began to read the letter:

"Dear Yukhei, 

I know we haven't known each other for very long but we spend a lot of time together here at camp. You're so kind, and funny, and strong, and handsome. I can't stop my feelings for you. I know I'm not good enough for your love but I want to try, because you've been flirting with me so much that I think I might have a chance. I want to be able to have you hold me and kiss me without it being a truth or dare game. I want to be able to call you my boyfriend so bad. I hope you feel the same way. Xuxi, I like you. 

Yours, 

Jungwoo." 

With a beaming smile growing on Yukhei's lips and hands shaking with excitement, he folded up the note as gently as possible and put it in his jeans pocket (the one not stuffed with trash). He began to walk quickly, turning into a run as he approached the cabin. When he finally stepped inside, he was almost frantic. 

"Where's Jungwoo?" Yukhei asked Doyoung ecstatically as he put the note in the most safe place in all his luggage. 

"Boys bathroom," Doyoung answered, and Yukhei was too distracted to see the knowing smile on Doyoung's lips. 

Yukhei ran down the pathway, bursting into the boy's bathroom to come up on Jungwoo washing his face with a heartbroken expression. 

"I like you too!" Yukhei yelled. Jungwoo jumped back and turned around; he hadn't noticed Yukhei enter the bathroom. 

"Wh-what?"

"I like you a lot! So much!" Yukhei said, practically bouncing on his toes. "I liked you from the first moment I saw you. I want to be your boyfriend too!"

Jungwoo still stood frozen in shock and confusion. "R-really? But I'm-" 

"You're perfect, Jungwoo," Yukhei said more softly now, taking a step closer to Jungwoo. 

"But-- the note--" 

"I just didn't notice it in my pocket," Yukhei explained. "I just read it a few minutes ago. And I'm freaking out. Because I had a feeling you liked me but I didn't know if you'd ever admit it to me, and I was waiting to be sure you liked me." 

Yukhei took another step in closer, letting his hands gently wrap around Jungwoo's waist. Jungwoo looked up at him, cheeks flushed, as Yukhei played with his hair. 

"I like you," Yukhei mumbled. "Can you be my boyfriend now?"

Jungwoo nodded vigorously, looking at Yukhei's face with his wide eyes. "Y-yes, please." He said gently, a big soft smile on his face. 

"Why are you shaking?" Yukhei asked. 

"I-I'm nervous...and happy....and you're shaking too!" Jungwoo said back. 

"I am?" Yukhei asked, looking down and yes, he was shaking. "Wow! I guess you make me nervous too," Yukhei admitted, and Jungwoo bit his lip to stop himself from giggling. 

"Xuxi? Can I ask you something?" Jungwoo said quietly, and Yukhei looked down at him expectantly. "Can you kiss me again?" 

Yukhei grinned widely. "Of course, baby." And he leaned in closer.