Four: Ledged

The Second Summer of the Boys

For the first time in his entire camp experience, Johnny was already awake when the breakfast bell rang. It wasn't like he'd been asleep at all that night, though. 

Even after truth or dare had ended last night, Taeil had refused to talk to him. Johnny had been close to tears at that point; just the day before Taeil had been lavishing praise on him, and then he said he didn't even know what he saw in Johnny any more. Johnny wasn't even sure what he'd done wrong. 

He hadn't gotten a wink of sleep that night. And even though Taeil refused to cuddle with him in bed or even be near him (although it was hard on a tiny twin bed), he could tell Taeil hadn't slept at all that night either. Still, when they got up to put their shoes on and go to the dining hall, Taeil didn't speak a word to him. The other members of their cabin, sensing the awkwardness between them, were quiet too. 

Once they got outside, Taeil still tried to walk ahead of him to avoid conversation, trying to interrupt Kun, Sicheng, and Yuta's conversation (more like, Kun and Sicheng's conversation where Yuta was glaring off to the side) But Johnny had enough. Jogging to catch up with Taeil, Johnny lightly grabbed onto his arm. 

"Can we talk?" 

Taeil rolled his eyes. "Fine." 

The others boys whispered to each other as Taeil and Johnny went to the very back of the clump of teenage boys. 

"I don't understand why you're so upset with me. Everything was so perfect, and then....what did I say? What did I do?" Johnny asked, his voice strained with hurt. 

Taeil turned to face Johnny. "I can't believe you said you were thinking about me all school year," Taeil spoke, more angry than Johnny had ever heard him. 

"I-I was, I still am, Taeil, I don't want this to end before it's even begun-"

"Then why did you have ?" 

Johnny paused, trying to figure out how to explain why he did to Taeil. "We, we weren't together-"

"You had to blind to not realize I was crazy about you," Taeil responded. "And if you liked me too, then why didn't you wait?"

"I guess I was blind then, Taeil," Johnny responded sadly. "Don't you remember what I said to you two days ago? I really thought you were going to reject me." He paused to sigh. "I did it for a lot of reasons. I did it because I wanted to get it over with, I did it because I thought you were going to reject me, I did it to try and forget about how I felt towards you."

Taeil sighed back. Immediately he began to feel guilty; he knew now that Johnny hadn't meant to play with him. He'd spent the whole night isolating himself too, when he could've just been curled up in Johnny's arms. Still, he couldn't help but be a little upset, he couldn't deny his jealousy. "Honestly...what really bothered me is that you said it was no big deal. I dunno, physical stuff is a big deal to me. Everything like that I've ever done has been with you, so you know how inexperienced I am." 

Johnny sighed, again. "I...I understand that, and I'm sorry. I know it is. I know it's a big deal to you, and I won't ever treat the physical stuff we do lightly, okay? I know it's different. It's different for me too, since I have a lot of feelings for you. And...to be honest, when I said it was no big deal last night, I sort of lied. The truth is that...I regretted it. I was way too drunk and I wish I'd just waited. But last night I wanted to keep a good face; who wants to be the dude that regrets losing his ity?. And anyways, I didn't want the littler ones to get the wrong idea about , that it's bad and stuff." 

Now, Taeil was really ashamed. He had no reason to be so upset and waste a whole night dwelling on it, not to mention he probably made his own boyfriend feel awful. "I'm sorry," Taeil said shamefully, wiping his eyes. "I-I was thoughtless."

"No! Taeil no!" Johnny cried, pulling Taeil into a tight hug. "It's all okay. I'm just glad you're not mad at my anymore." 

Taeil sniffled and forced himself to stop crying, burying his head in Johnny's chest. On top of everything, now he was embarrassed too. 

But Johnny just grinned at him and kissed the top of his head. 

"Don't worry, please." 

"Come on lovebirds, we're gonna be late!" Doyoung yelled from far ahead. Johnny smiled down at Taeil and chuckled, and the brightness of it was so overwhelming that Taeil had to smile back. 

"Let's go," Johnny said softly. Taeil took his hand, and they jogged to catch up with the others. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"How was the older kids room last night?" Chenle asked Jisung while they were sitting down to breakfast. 

"It wasn't really that interesting. Everyone just cuddled a bunch except for Johnny and Taeil, they just tossed and turned." 

"Wait...what about Taeyong and Ten? I heard they were..." Chenle started, leaning in closer to whisper in Jisung's ear. "ual."

Jisung thought for a moment and shook his head. "They just cuddled. Yukhei must have made it up." 

"I did not!" Yukhei whined from his seat next to the two younger boys. 

"They were just tame since you were there, Jisung," Mark explained. "They felt bad about being ual in front of you." 

"Really?" Chenle asked with surprise as chef Kyungsoo begrudgingly handed all the boys their food. He gave Jisung his plate last and quickly walked away. 

"Oh," Jisung spoke disapointedly. Half of his second pancake was very badly burned. 

"Oh no!" Ten cried from across the table, leaning over to look at the burnt pancake, and Taeyong followed. 

"It's okay, I'll just cut it off," Jisung said. 

"No way. You're getting a new pancake," Taeyong responded. 

"It's alr-"

"Chef Kyungsoo!" Ten screamed towards the kitchen. "Chef Kyungsoo!" He yelled again when there was no response, and a very grumpy looking Kyungsoo emerged from behind the kitchen doors. 

"What," He said. 

"You burnt his pancakes," Taeyong said decisively. Kyungsoo looked down and grimaced, looking Jisung up and down and immediately feeling guilty. 

"Sorry," he spoke with gritted teeth, taking the plate back into the kitchen. 

"You didn't have to do that," Jisung said quietly. 

"Nah, we did. We're here to watch out for you, kid," Taeyong responded, and Jisung gave the older boys a smile. 

~~~~~~~~~~

After breakfast, the oldies decided to show the newbies their favorite romantic spot: the ledge. 

"I remember all the couples would go here to make out and Donghyuck would convince us to spy on you last year," Jeno said with a chuckle. 

"It was hot!" Donghyuck cried. 

"It was gross," Chenle replied. 

"It's not a makeout spot, it's a romantic spot!" Sicheng whined, sitting down with Yuta immediately beside him. Kun sat down in front of Sicheng, and Yuta wrapped an arm protectively around Sicheng's waist, giving Kun a glare. Kun returned Yuta's glare with a sarcastic smile. 

"The light here is awfully pretty. Brings out your eyes," Kun said almost too casually. Yuta began to squint, and his grip on Sicheng's waist got tighter. 

Sicheng giggled back obviously. "Thanks Kunnie!" Kun smiled back, a knowing look in his eyes directed at Yuta, and Yuta thought he would explode. But one look at Sicheng's pure and beautiful face, and Yuta calmed down. He couldn't be too clingy, he had to make Sicheng happy, all for Sicheng's sake. 

"It's kinda boring," Chenle mumbled as he sat down next to Jisung, Taeyong and Ten sitting in front of them. 

"No, it's romantic," Ten responded, resting his head on Taeyong's shoulder. Both Chenle and Jisung thought for a moment, looking at each other before looking back at Taeyong and Ten. 

"I guess I don't really get it," Jisung mumbled. 

Taeyong and Ten pointed up to the very top of the ledge, right next to the spot where Johnny and Taeil had fallen asleep. "That's where we almost kissed that one time," Taeyong explained. "Gosh Ten, you looked so pretty that evening. The sun was setting, the air was warm, and then..."

"And then?" Chenle asked curiously. 

Ten frowned. "Donghyuck screamed at us, then ran into the forest when Chanyeol chased him." Chenle and Jisung giggled at their friend's antics, as Ten and Taeyong still whistfullly gazed at that spot. They knew it would be so easy to just go up there and make out, since they hadn't gotten any time to do it last night, but looking back and Chenle and Jisung, they seemed bored again. Taeyong and Ten shared a look, then smiled back at the younger boys. 

"Do you wanna play a game or something?" Ten asked the two of them. They smiled up at the older boys. 

"Yeah!" They both cheered, as Yukhei and Jungwoo walked past them. 

"They're right, this spot is pretty romantic," Jungwoo said quietly as they started to walk to the top of the ledge; he wanted to look at the view and Yukhei had followed him (not that he minded). Everyone else was with their boyfriends or friends from last year, and so they stuck to each other for company. 

"Oh wow, they're actually asleep," Yukhei said, gesturing to Johnny and Taeil. They were both completely passed out on top of the uncomfortable rocks, Johnny's large frame curled around Taeil's much smaller one, his face buried in Johnny's chest. 

"They didn't get much sleep last night," Jaehyun explained as Yukhei and Jungwoo passed by, playing with Doyoung's hair. "They were in a fight or something, but now they made up." 

"I'm glad!" Yukhei said cheerfully. 

"I'm glad," Jungwoo repeated, much quieter. Doyoung and Jaehyun didn't notice, but Yukhei smiled at him. 

"They do this a lot anyways though. They're like grandpas; they need six in' naps a day to survive," Doyoung added, nestled between Jaehyun's legs, looking out at the forest. "Where are you two headed anyways?"

"We wanna look at the view," Lucas explained. 

"Go check it out then. It's beautiful up there," Jaehyun said, sharing a knowing smile with Doyoung as the boys waved goodbye and went up to the top of the ledge. 

"It really is beautiful," Jungwoo said breathlessly. They could see the bright, clear morning sky, the sun shining down on the trees, stretching for miles into the distance. Snow capped mountains loomed tall in the background, and Jungwoo slowly smiled. 

When he turned back to Yukhei, though, Yukhei's eyes were on him and not the view. He didn't know what to make of it, so he looked down at his lap. Jungwoo was never one for making easy conversation, besides, he still hadn't recovered from that kiss with Yukhei the day before. 

"Do you like camp so far?" Yukhei asked. "I really do. Everyone's so nice and fun and friendly!" 

"I-I do too," Jungwoo stuttered. "But, I mean, I don't wanna hog you. You should go hang out with the others if you want. I-I know I'm a little boring." 

"What? You're not boring!" Yukhei cried, capturing Jungwoo in a hug and shaking him. Yukhei laughed, and even though every one of Jungwoo's nerve endings was buzzing, he laughed too. "Can I tell you a secret?" Jungwoo nodded. 

"You're my favorite camper," Yukhei whispered. Even though Jungwoo convinced himself it was a lie, it wasn't a real compliment, Yukhei didn't actually believe it, Jungwoo still found himself blushing. 

Before Jungwoo could answer (he was too scared to admit Yukhei was his favorite camper too anyways), the lunch bell rang loudly. Everyone leapt up, quickly rushing to the dining hall to get their food. But as Jungwoo and Yukhei were leaving, they looked to their right to see Johnny and Taeil still fast asleep on the rock. 

"Should we wake them up?" Jungwoo quietly asked Yukhei. 

Yukhei made a face and shook his head. "Let the grandpas sleep." Yukhei chuckled and shook his head, and the two ran to the dining hall before Kyungsoo told them off for being late.