Seventeen: Cabin

The Second Summer of the Boys

After all the adventures at the beach that the boys shared the previous day, they collectively decided to spend the next together in the cabin. Especially because of the scare with Jaemin almost drowning, they decided it would be better to play it safe. While the boys in cabin E1 gathered their blankets and pillows to relax in the other cabin, those already inside laid down on the floor or in their beds to just relax. Jeno and Jaemin went to go grab string for friendship bracelets, Mark and Donghyuck brought everyone dry cereal from the dining hall, and the rest just relaxed. 

Doyoung and Jaehyun were sitting on their bed, backs against the wood in the back of the cabin. Their legs dangled over the side but to their relief, no one tried to bug them. Jaehyun had his head on Doyoung's shoulder, looking over at the book in his hands. Jaehyun's auburn hair tickled Doyoung's chin, but he didn't want to tell him to move. Jaehyun just looked too comfortable. 

"Did you already finish your last one?" Jaehyun asked softly, not wanting to bother him. Doyoung nodded and looked at Jaehyun out of the corner of his eye. 

"Yeah," Doyoung responded. "The Great Gatsby is really short." 

"What are you reading now?" 

"The Catcher in the Rye," Doyoung explained, showing Jaehyun the cover. Jaehyun nodded and snuggled into Doyoung's shoulder, and Doyoung flipped the page. 

Jaehyun knew that Doyoung didn't like to be interrupted while he was reading, so he was hesitant to ask something of him. "D-Doyoung?" He asked quietly. 

"Hm?" Doyoung responded, looking down at Jaehyun. 

"Could you read to me again?" He asked in the smallest voice, and to his surprise, Doyoung's expression bloomed into a smile. 

"Of course, Jae," Doyoung spoke happily, and he started to read the words aloud from the page. 

Jaehyun exhaled and relaxed as he listened to Doyoung's gentle voice repeat the words from the page, his tone focused yet affectionate. Jaehyun didn't think there was anything better than this; Doyoung was letting Jaehyun into a very important and intimate part of his life: his love of books. It was such a simple thing, but somehow, it left them both so vulnerable. 

Everything about Doyoung still excited Jaehyun. Even though their relationship was over a year old at that point, and even though they'd become incredibly comfortable with one another, being Doyoung's boyfriend was an adventure no matter what. 

Jaehyun knew what he had to say. 

"Doyoung?"

"What?" Doyoung whined. "You ask me to read to you and then you interrupt me, god Jae-"

"I love you." 

"O-oh," Doyoung responded, looking at Jaehyun with surprise as all the annoyance disappeared from his face. Doyoung had been feeling those feelings for quite some time, but he was afraid Jaehyun would think he was rushing things. "I-I love you too." 

Jaehyun's beamed that beautiful smile of his and Doyoung pulled him in for a loving kiss, giggling against his lips as he pulled away. 

"Now keep reading! I wanna know what happens," Jaehyun complained. Doyoung stuck his tongue out at Jaehyun, but opened the book back up and read from it again. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yukhei was sitting in his bed also, bored out of his mind, trying to ignore the rattling of the bed above him. Ever since Ten and Taeyong had finally had a few days prior, their make out sessions had become much more intense. It was slightly annoying to the others, but it was way worse for Jungwoo and Yukhei: they were the ones who had to sleep underneath the couple, after all. 

Yukhei suspected that was why Jungwoo left the cabin a few minutes before, offering to bring everyone more cereal. Yukhei offered to go with him but Jungwoo seemed hesitant, so Yukhei decided to stay. Now, he was super bored, just watching everyone else make bracelets and cuddle with their boyfriends. Yukhei at the bracelets, and his boyfriend wasn't around. But Yukhei didn't mind too much: he knew how introverted Jungwoo was, and how sometimes he just needed a moment alone. Although Yukhei hated being without him, he knew it made their relationship so much better. 

But when Jungwoo returned Yukhei couldn't help but smile brightly, sitting up and beckoning his boyfriend closer. Jungwoo handed out the cereal before sitting down on the bed again, right next to Yukhei. Yukhei swung Jungwoo's legs over his thighs, facing him. 

"How was your walk, baby?" Yukhei asked. Jungwoo shrugged and grinned. 

"It was fine," he answered simply. Yukhei reached to hug him and Jungwoo panicked. "Wait! You're gonna crush it!" 

Yukhei looked confused until Jungwoo pulled a hand made flower crown out of his jacket; white and yellow wildflowers stiched together. Jungwoo smiled softly and placed it on the top of Yukhei's big head. 

"Is this for me?" Yukhei asked with surprise, his huge hands delicately touching the flower crown on top of his head. 

Jungwoo nodded and smiled. "Do you like it?"

"Of course! It's so cute...just like you," Yukhei answered with a greasy wink. Jungwoo blushed, looked shyly down at the ground, but Yukhei cupped both his cheeks so they could lock eyes. 

"You're just so pure...and nice..." Yukhei spoke with his big smile, looking over Jungwoo's pretty face. Jungwoo occasionally locked eyes with him but mostly looked away; even though he and Yukhei had been dating for over a week he still got really shy around him. 

"Ah...th-thank you..." Jungwoo responded gently. Yukhei grinned, knowing his boyfriend's shyness had nothing to do with him not wanting Yukhei and everything to do with how Yukhei always made him feel so special. 

Jungwoo looked up at Yukhei hopefully and Yukhei smiled, knowing Jungwoo wanted a kiss. Yukhei leaned closer and pressed their soft lips together, humming and tangling his fingers in the back of Jungwoo's hair. 

Jungwoo was the first to pull away, his cheeks stained perfectly pink. Yukhei watched him with a big grin on his face. Maybe, they were falling in love. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yuta shouldn't have been here. He was seated on the floor next to Renjun, playing war with him, Chenle, and Jisung. Yuta should not have been playing cards on a cabin day with a bunch of middle schoolers, and he knew that. He should've been with Sicheng. 

But, as always it seemed, Sicheng was occupied. He was seated in Kun's bed, resting his head on Kun's shoulder, talking about everything and nothing with stupid ing Kun. Yuta seethed with anger; it was just so unfair. Sicheng was his boyfriend. Yuta was Sicheng's first love and Yuta knew it. 

Yuta had officially decided that Kun was an . It was set in his mind, he knew it for sure, there was no question about it. Yuta understood Kun's motives, who he was, and what he wanted. But to Yuta's surprise, the one person he thought he knew best was the one confusing him. I

t seemed like Sicheng had changed so much this summer. During the school year he and Yuta had spoken every single day without fail, telling each other about every little detail of their lives and exchanging loving words. Now, Yuta was lucky if he got more than a 'good morning' and a 'good night' from Sicheng when they were getting in and out of bed. It wasn't fair, it wasn't what it was supposed to be, and most of all, it hurt. 

The one thing Yuta couldn't understand was why. Why was Sicheng abandoning him like this? Why didn't Sicheng want to be near him, talk to him, hold him, kiss him like he was so desperate to before? Hell, last summer Sicheng had been the one pining after an oblivious Yuta. Was Sicheng upset about his parents not liking Yuta? That didn't make sense, since Sicheng had ignored all his parents restrictions on their talking time during the school year, and had said it didn't matter when they first came to camp. Did Sicheng fall for Kun instead? Then, Yuta wondered, why hadn't Sicheng just broken up with him already. 

Yuta had spent the whole school year looking forward to his time with Sicheng and being at camp. Now, he was just miserable. 

"Yuta? It's your turn," Chenle said softly. 

"Oh. Yeah," Yuta responded, returning back to reality and shaking his head. He put a card down and zoned out once again. 

Finally looking up from the cards in his hand, he spared a glance up at Sicheng and Kun. But when he did, he immediately regretted it, his blood ing boiled. 

Sicheng was sitting on Kun's lap, right out in the cabin for everyone to see. Yuta had made himself remain calm at the other touches, but that was just too much. Kun's arms were wrapped around Sicheng's beautiful waist and Sicheng was smiling and Yuta didn't want to cry in front of everyone so he tried his best to just stay angry instead. 

He dropped his cards on the ground and, ignoring Renjun, Chenle, and Jisung's confused looks and questions, stomped over to Kun's bed in the back of the caption. 

"Wh-what are you guys doing?" Yuta asked with an exasperated cry. 

"Uh, nothing, dude," Kun responded. Yuta squinted; Kun knew exactly what he was doing. 

"Sicheng, why are you sitting on his lap?" Yuta asked, trying his best to control his tone so he wouldn't upset Sicheng. 

"Yuta, it's comfy!" Sicheng whined and pouted, as if Yuta was about to make him get off. The aggression in Yuta's expression dissapeared and was replaced by sadness as Kun smirked at him, his head on Sicheng's shoulder. 

Yuta took a couple deep breaths right then and there, just to prevent himself from bursting into tears or punching Kun in the face. Kun grinned back at him, and Yuta couldn't take it any more. 

Without another word Yuta stormed out of the cabin, brushing past everyone carelessly, even accidentally stepping on Chenle's foot. But he didn't notice, didn't care, he could barely even hear what was going on around him. 

When the cabin door slammed behind him Sicheng reached to get up and go after him, but Kun tightened his grip around Sicheng's waist. Sicheng slumped back into Kun's lap, a confused and worried look on his face. 

Everyone else in the cabin was silent, looking between the door and their friends and Sicheng and Kun. 

Kun chuckled. "What's his problem?" He asked the group. 

No one responded, but they all went back to doing their own things. Sicheng pushed himself off Kun's lap, finally, and dug himself into his own covers. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Down on the floor, Mark and Donghyuck looked up at the door, watching Yuta go with surprised and scared expressions. 

"I wonder what's going on with them," Mark whispered, scooting in closer to his boyfriend. 

"I dunno exactly," Donghyuck answered, always the gossip. "But Kun's tearing them apart for sure."

"You think?" Mark whispered in surprise. 

Donghyuck gave him a deadpan expression. "Are you blind? Of course he is." 

Mark sighed, resting his head on Donghyuck's shoulder and holding onto his arm. "Well...at least I don't have to worry about you." 

"You know, you might," Donghyuck responded. Mark looked up at him with surprise. "I might be too obsessed with you." 

Mark giggled and hid his face in Donghyuck's shoulder, peeking up at him with just his eyes visible to Donghyuck. Donghyuck grinned back at him, his tan skin glowing in the light shining through the planks of the cabin walls, and in that moment, Mark knew Donghyuck was the most beautiful thing in the world. 

Donghyuck ruffled his hair, and Mark squeaked. 

"Don't forget that I'm older than you!"

"Only by less than a year. And anyways, I look older than you." 

"How old do you think you look?" Mark asked. 

"Sixteen, probably." 

Mark hid his laughter. "You think you look like Johnny?"

"Hey!" Donghyuck whined loudly as Mark laughed. "Well, I definitely look like Taeil." 

"Hey!" Johnny cried. 

"I do not look like a thirteen year old," Taeil grumbled. 

"Go back to your naps!" Donghyuck yelled.