Sixteen: Golden Hour

The Second Summer of the Boys

In the late afternoon, the eighteen boys made the decision to go down to the beach by the lake where they kayaked more than a week earlier. The newbies had never been, and the boys needed to cool down in the ocean with the hot sun beating down on their skin. 

They all took the fifteen minute walk together down to the beach, carrying towels and food stolen from the dining hall in their arms. Once they arrived, they spread out along the sand and the ocean, some going up into the cliffs behind for some peace and quiet. 

"Hey Jisung, you know what my favorite thing to do at the beach is?" Chenle asked, turning to his best friend as they waded into the water. 

"What is it?"

"I like to build a pool in the sand. You know, like dig a big hole and then fill it with water?"

Jisung smiled widely. "I like to do that too!"

"Will you help me make one?"

"Of course, Lele," Jisung answered. "Let's start digging."

The two middle schoolers began excitedly digging in the sand with their hands, starting their little project. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Taeil laid out his towel down immediately next to Johnny's, brushing the sand off of the corners. The oldest couple at camp had no plans to go into the water during their trip to the beach. Instead, they wanted to fulfill one of their favorite daily tasks: the afternoon nap. 

Johnny and Taeil laid down on the towels they'd brought from the dorm, groaning loudly as they finally got to relax. Johnny swung his arm around Taeil's shoulders, and Taeil rested his head on Johnny's bare chest (the weather was so hot that the two boys got into swimsuits anyways). 

"It's so...ing...hot," Taeil groaned, brushing back his hair, the roots damp with sweat. 

"I know," Johnny groaned back. 

"Maybe if you two actually went into the water, you could cool off," Yuta commented as he passed by the couple, standing over them. 

"That's too much effort!" Johnny whined. "We'd actually have to get up."

"No way," Taeil added, throwing his arm over Johnny's muscular chest. 

"Suit yourself," Yuta responded, walking away from the pair with his bare feet digging into the hot sand. 

Johnny casually kicked off his flip flops, staring up at the sky with sunglasses on and carding his fingers through Taeil's hair. Taeil exhaled, and Johnny laughed at the ticklish sensation on his chest.

"Do you know what time it is?" Johnny asked. 

Taeil took a peek at his rubber wristwatch. "Five pm," he answered. 

Johnny sighed. "At home, I would've gotten up like two or three hours ago. Instead of at in' eight am, like some heathen." 

"Or a person who actually has a job?" Taeil teased, looking up at Johnny with a grin. 

"Hey!" Johnny whined, tugging a little at the hair threaded between his fingers. 

"In the summer I get up late, but not after twelve!" Taeil said. 

"Any time before twelve is early in my book." 

Taeil chuckled and bit his lip, Johnny leaning up to press a soft kiss to his lips.

"It's not fair that we can't see each other during the school year," Taeil complained once Johnny had leaned back down. 

"God, , I know, right? I want you to meet all my friends so much." 

"You're friends are way too cool for me," Taeil spoke. 

"Nah. They're lame as . All we do is drive around at night." 

"You shouldn't worry about it too much. My parents don't even let me out after dark." 

"You're ing kidding," Johnny said. Taeil shook his head. "I would die if I were you." 

Taeil chuckled and snuggled into Johnny's chest. "It's not so bad, since I'm so lame."

"You're not lame, babe!" Johnny cried sleepily, and Taeil laughed. 

"I don't care if I'm lame, to be honest."

"As long as you know you're good enough for me. Hell, I'm not good enough for you." 

Yu"You're getting so cheesy on me; you must be tired," Taeil teased. 

"I am tired, I will admit, but I'm just stating the truth." 

Taeil rolled his eyes and smiled. "Let's sleep then." 

"Alright. Good ni- well, I guess not," Johnny said with a chuckle, the sun shining down on them as they drifted into their nap. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Jeno and Jaemin didn't really know what to do. 

"Where are Yukhei and Jungwoo?" Jaemin asked. Usually when they went to the pool, Yukhei, Chenle, and Jisung would play sports games with them (Renjun was the referee and Jungwoo was their cheerleader). 

"I dunno, probably off deeply staring into each other's eyes," Jeno teased back. Jaemin looked over at Chenle and Jisung making their weird hole pool thing, then looked up into the cliffs to see Yukhei and Jungwoo doing just that. 

Jaemin could barely suppress his laughter, wading through the water to laugh into Jeno's shoulder. Jeno laughed too, petting Jaemin's black hair. 

"But what should we do!" Jaemin whined, stomping on the water to make it splash everywhere. "I'm so bored." 

"We could play something," Jeno suggested.

Jaemin shook his head. "There's only two of us." 

"We could try and get Renjun to join us?"

"That's perfect!" Jaemin responded. "You can go get him. I'm gonna wade out into the water to see how deep it gets." 

Jeno knew Jaemin was a pretty good swimmer so he nodded his head firmly. "Perfect." He left Jaemin with a kiss on the cheek and waded out of the water, running along the beach to find his friend. 

He eventually found Renjun sitting underneath the cliffs, Yuta complaining about Kun loudly in his ear while Renjun looked off into the distance. 

"Renjun, do you wanna play a game with me an-"

"Yes!" Renjun responded immediately, leaping up. "Let's go." He immediately began to walk away from a distressed Yuta and Jeno followed. Usually Renjun never actually played the sports games, but Jeno figured he needed an escape. 

"Jaemin and I are really bored," Jeno explained with a giggle. 

"Where are Yukhei and Jungwoo?"

"They left to go romantically stare into each other's eyes." 

"Disgusting," Renjun mumbled. 

Jeno and Renjun faced the beach where Jaemin and Jeno were sitting before. But to Jeno's surprise, nobody seemed to be there. 

"Where's Minnie?" Jeno said to himself, looking around for his boyfriend. Suddenly, quite a long distance away a smallish hand poked out of the water. Jeno took in a frightened gasp. 

"Oh my god," he spoke. 

"Is that Jaemin? Is he alright?" Renjun asked worriedly. Jeno didn't respond, instead, he leapt into the water to make sure his boyfriend was alright. 

Not a single thought crossed through Jeno's mind as he swam quickly through the lake except saving Jaemin. As he went further and further from the shore, panic rose into Jeno's stomach, his heart pouding so loud he thought everyone else could hear it even from the beach. 

Finally, he began to see the form of a boy deeper even further from where Jeno started. As he got closer he realized it was Jaemin, trying but failing to push up for air, slowly losing strength. Jeno was so scared that he felt like he was going to throw up but he put it all aside, channeling his energy to rescue his first love. 

Jeno could see the relief in Jaemin's expression as Jeno approached him, lifting him out of the water and into fresh air. It worked, and Jaemin gasped for air as soon as his head was lifted up. He spit a whole bunch of water out of his mouth but Jeno didn't care, Jaemin was alive, he just had to get both of them back to the shore. Jaemin's thin body was still exhausted and in shock so Jeno threw him over his back, swimming with all of his strength back to the shore. 

Jeno should've been too tired to make it but somehow his body pushed through, resting Jaemin against a rock on the sand and crouching down in front of him, both of them panting heavily. 

"Are you alright?" Jeno asked in a panicky tone, ignoring his other concerned camp friends standing over him. 

Jaemin nodded, then coughed. "I'm alright," he spoke in a croaky voice. Renjun brushed them all away and left to give Jeno and Jaemin a moment alone. 

"I was so worried," Jeno said honestly, and in an unusually affectionate act cup Jaemin's cheek and rubbed circles. Jaemin seemed immediately soothed at the touch, and so Jeno continued. As the boys were just awkward thirteen year olds in their first relationship, they kept their physical contact to just hugs and light kisses, but Jeno just wanted to touch Jaemin in that moment, make sure he was actually there. 

Jaemin panted more but his breathing slowly slowed down, as did Jeno's. They looked at each other for long moments, Jaemin grabbing Jeno's free hand to hold. 

"Y-you saved my life..." Jaemin spoke. 

"I'm so glad you're safe," Jeno responded. 

"I'm so lucky. I'm so lucky you saw. I'm so lucky you noticed. I'm-- thank you." 

"It was nothing. I just...I had to save you."

Jaemin's expression bloomed into that bright smile of his and Jeno's heart did that thing, the feeling he didn't know how to explain but felt every time Jaemin looked or acted extra adorable and loving (which was pretty often). 

"You're the best boyfriend ever," Jaemin said, and he interlaced he and Jeno's fingers. Jeno grinned back widely; and instead of answering he pressed a kiss to Jaemin's lips. 

Jaemin kissed back very gently, longer than just their usual peck, his lips tasting a tad like saltwater. It was perfect, until Jaemin pulled away to cough right in Jeno's face. 

"Sorry," Jaemin said with a pout. 

"Don't worry about it Minnie," Jeno answered. "Now, do you wanna do anything?"

Jaemin shook his head. "I'm pretty tired. Is it okay if we just sit here?"

Jeno nodded, scooting so he was sitting next to Jaemin. "As long as I'm with you." 

Jaemin squealed and rested his head on Jeno's chest, watching the other campers with a smile. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was many hours later when Chenle and Jisung finally finished their pool. After the first hour of pushing aside the light sand that just kept moving back into place, they enlisted the help of Ten and Taeyong. Even so, it took many hours until the pool was stable, filled with water, and able to be used. 

"Try it mom try it!" Chenle said excitedly as Ten chuckled, stepping inside of the pool. 

"I can't believe this actually worked," Taeyong said as Ten gave the thumbs up. 

"It's perfect!" He responded. "Good job."

Chenle and Jisung shared a proud look, following Ten inside. Taeyong stepped inside too, the four of them dangling their feet in the water. 

As the sun began to set beautifully in the multicolored sky, Taeil and Johnny approached the pool, rubbing their eyes. Taeil leaned against Johnny's arm as the pair held hands, and it was clear they'd just awoken from their nap. 

"Why would you build a pool if the ocean's right there?" Taeil asked in a sleepy voice as Johnny casually brushed the sand out of his hair. 

"What's wrong with pools?" Chenle cried. "You guys really are grandpas if you can't appreciate a good sand pool." 

"If we're grandparents, then you must be our grandkids. I guess we're Ten and Taeyong's parents then," Johnny spoke. 

"It's so sweet that you and Jisung call Ten and Taeyong mom and dad," Taeil commented. Jisung and Chenle smiled sweetly, and Taeyong beamed with pride. 

"I love that you guys call us mom and dad," Ten spoke, ruffling Chenle and Jisung's hair. "They can call Taeyong 'dad', but they're not allowed to call Taeyong daddy. That's my job," Ten said with a wink. 

"Why not?" Chenle asked quietly. 

"Ten! You're disgusting," Johnny said. "Let's get out of here babe." He and Taeil walked away with horrified expressions as Jisung and Chenle looked confused. But, Ten and Taeyong just laughed.