Twenty-Six: Let's Dance

The Second Summer of the Boys

That evening in the dining hall, Sehun approached the eighteen boys. 

"So tonight there's the teen dance," he said. 

"Like a school dance? At camp?" Yukhei asked with a slight grimace. 

"Yeah, but it's a lot better I swear. I know what you mean; school dances are trash," Taeyong responded. Doyoung and the other ones who had been there last year looked at each other excitedly; they'd had a great time dancing together. 

"We'll be there," Jaehyun said to Sehun. Sehun nodded and left to go set up, and the boys cleared their plates. 

A few minutes later, the boys were ready to go into the special area for the dance with the other older teens. Ten had just so happened to have tube of glitter in his bag, so everyone was wearing excessive amounts of sparkles. 

Sehun arrived quickly and lead them up to the special cabin; it was already pitch black out so it looked kind of creepy, but the lights and music coming from the inside made it less weird. Peeking inside, Doyoung could see the sixteen to eighteens counselor, and one of the maintenance guys was DJing. 

The sixteen to eighteens headed inside without question, and the other eighteen boys quickly followed. The DJ was playing the clean version of 'I Love It' by Kanye West and Lil Pump, and the older boys could barely hold back their own laughter. 

Immediately the older kids moved towards the DJ, dancing on each other without a care in the world. The eighteen younger kids watched them and laughed as their counselor attempted to break them up. After a simple dirty look, the counselor gave up. 

Taeyong and Ten began to dance closer together once they noticed Chenle and Jisung leave the cabin to get some snacks. Ten looked up at Taeyong, giving him an eyebrow raise and a sly grin, and Doyoung rolled his eyes. He knew whatever happened next would not be easy on the eyes. 

Ten flipped around and grinded his on Taeyong's crotch, his lips seductively as Taeyong grabbed his hips. 

"Not again!" Jaehyun cried, turning away uncomfortable. The rest of the boys groaned and pretended Taeyong and Ten didn't exist as the couple moved from grinding to Ten twerking on him. 

"Hey!" Sehun shouted, and the other boys turned back around. The counselor gave the two boys a look and shoved them off each other. "Didn't I tell you two last year that it wasn't allowed?"

"Come on, the older boys are grinding!" Ten whined. 

"I've tried to stop them," Sehun whined back. Ten looked to Taeyong for support, but Taeyong was frozen in place. Ten followed his line of sight and immediately froze as well. Staring back at them with extremely disturbed expressions was Chenle and Jisung. 

"Just stop, alright?" Sehun groaned. 

"Y-yeah, of course," Ten answered. Taeyong and Ten shared a grimace as Sehun walked away, and they went over to their camp kids. 

"Did you guys, um, see that?" Taeyong asked the two middler schoolers awkwardly over the music. 

"Yeah," Chenle responded, and Jisung nodded while grimacing. 

"We're really sorry," Ten said. "But sons, when two people love each other very much, they get urges-"

"Mom, dad, you already gave me this speech when I walked in on you two doing ," Jisung interrupted. 

Taeyong sighed. "That's right." The four boys looked at each other uncomfortably. 

"How about we end this conversation and pretend that never happened?" Ten suggested. 

"Yes, please," Chenle responded. They all nodded at each other, and walked off to opposite ends of the cabin to dance. 

"God, that was awkward to watch," Doyoung said to Jaehyun when Chenle, Jisung, Taeyong, and Ten walked away from each other, just as 'In My Feelings' came on. They giggled when Taeyong and Ten danced closer together, trying to see where Sehun was, and Chenle and Jisung danced extremely awkwardly. 

Jaehyun tugged Doyoung a little closer to him as they danced together with most of the rest of the boys. Doyoung looked up at Jaehyun and found him smiling back at him. 

"I thought you said you were sick of this song," Doyoung shouted to his boyfriend over the music. 

Jaehyun shrugged. "I am." 

"Then why are you smiling?"

"Because your dancing has improved!" 

Doyoung laughed loudly. "Seriously?" Jaehyun simply nodded back at him. 

"Not that your terrible dancing wasn't cute last year," Jaehyun added. 

Doyoung grinned and looked down at the ground. Jaehyun never made him feel annoying or stupid no matter what, but it was really nice for him to make his boyfriend proud and look good. 

Now he was a little shy though, controlling his movements, and Jaehyun came closer to him. 

"Don't be shy," he spoke into Doyoung's ear. Doyoung hugged him back, but as soon as they noticed Sehun's eye on them they stepped away. 

Johnny overheard Doyoung and Jaehyun's brief conversation and laughed. Unlike Doyoung, Taeil's dancing had most definitely not improved. 

Taeil noticed Johnny giggling at him and returned it with a joking glare. 

"If you wanted a y, good dancer boyfriend, I was not the person to ask out!" Taeil shouted over the music. 

"You are y! But in your Taeil-y sort of way," Johnny answered. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Taeil asked, giving his boyfriend an adorable pout. Johnny grinned and tugged Taeil closer by his wrists. 

"Just follow my lead, okay? You sing, right?" Taeil nodded back, too enthralled by Johnny's sort of dominating aura at that moment to really process what he was saying. "Follow the beat and don't be self conscious. That's it," Johnny explained. 

"Mmh," Taeil answered as Johnny let go of Taeil's wrists, but wrapped one of his huge arms around his waist for a moment. He quickly let go, returning to dancing, and after a moment of watching Taeil danced too with a shy smile. 

"See? Better already!" Johnny called over the music as it switched to "I Like It" by Cardi B. 

"Don't lie," Taeil responded, laughing loudly. 

Next to Taeil and Johnny, Yuta and Sicheng were dancing together. Both of them were decent dancers but neither of them really cared in that moment, just happy to be near each other. Last year they'd been in a fight on the day of the dance, and they'd wasted most of this year fighting too, so any moment they spent happy together felt precious. 

"My angel," Yuta said so softly that Sicheng couldn't hear it over the music, but he could read Yuta's lips. Sicheng blushed softly, unable to keep his eyes off Yuta's beaming smile. So Sicheng noticed immediately when Yuta began to frown, his eyes off in the distance. 

Sicheng followed his line of sight and his eyes landed on Kun's frame, awkwardly hanging out alone by the snack table. Yuta and Sicheng shared a look and a nod, and Sicheng knew what to do. 

"Kun!" Sicheng yelled across the dance floor. Kun immediately turned his eyes, and both Yuta and Sicheng beckoned him over. 

Kun jogged to them and Yuta and Sicheng smiled back. "Dance with us?"

"Seriously?" Kun asked, guilt still swimming in the back of his eyes. 

"Of course," Yuta responded with a bright smile. After a moment's pause the three began to dance, and it all finally seemed right with him. 

Back at the snack table, Jungwoo was picking at the snacks while Yukhei hung over him. 

"Come on and dance with me, please baby? I'm begging you," Yukhei asked. 

Jungwoo shook his head softly and Yukhei sighed. "I'm gonna embarrass you," Jungwoo answered, his voice suddenly dropping to a whisper. "The older boys think you're handsome, but then they'll think you're stupid once they see your dorky boyfriend with you." 

"Hey hey hey," Yukhei said, turning Jungwoo toward him. "I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of you. You're so precious to me, alright? Please, don't be embarrassed. I just wanna dance and have a good time with you." 

Jungwoo paused for a moment. "But-"

"Baby. This is the second to last full day of camp. Don't you wanna spend having fun with our friends? Having fun with me?" 

Jungwoo sighed; he knew Yukhei was right. "Yes, you're right. Let's go dance." 

Yukhei's expression bloomed into a smile as he tugged his camp boyfriend to the center of the dance floor. 

"I told you I was embarrassing!" Jungwoo said loudly. 

"You're not even bad! You're a good dancer!" Yukhei yelled back to him. 

After 'Rockstar' by Post Malone finished, the DJ switched to 'Perfect' Ed Sheeran. Jeno slowly smiled; he'd been wanting to slow dance with Jaemin for quite a while. 

"May I have this dance?" Jeno asked his boyfriend with a little bow. 

Jaemin giggled back and nodded, and pressed himself a little closer. The two boys left room between them but Jeno shyly put his arms around Jaemin's waist, and Jaemin rested his arms on Jeno's shoulders. 

"Have you ever slow danced before?" Jeno asked softly. 

Jaemin shook his head. "I never even went to dances in middle school. You know, bullies waiting to come after me," he responded a little too casually. "You?"

"I've been to school dances before, but not slow danced. I always wanted to, but nobody was special enough before," Jeno answered. 

Jaemin blushed and hung his head, Jeno sneaking closer to plant a kiss on Jaemin's cheek. Jaemin finally looked up at him, and they shared a brief but loving kiss. 

"I'm gonna miss you," Jeno mumbled, looking down at the floor. 

"No! We're not allowed to talk about it!" Jaemin responded firmly, kissing Jeno to distract him from those thoughts again. 

Just next to them, Mark and Donghyuck were slow dancing too. Donghyuck had originally just gently placed his hands on Mark's waist, but in a moment of surprising boldness Mark pulled Donghyuck closer so they slow danced in a hugging position. Mark rested his head on Donghyuck's shoulder, and Donghyuck hummed into his neck. 

"Remember last year?" Donghyuck said. "When I was too young for the dance but snuck in anyways?"

Mark chuckled. "Yeah, I was so awkward. I didn't know what to do with myself; I was really flustered." 

"What for?" Donghyuck asked very quietly. 

"I think...I think that was the moment I realized I probably kinda loved you," Mark admitted shyly. Donghyuck grinned and curled his fingers in Mark's black hair, the couple swaying back and forth. "It meant a lot to me when you came up and slow danced with me, after I watched everyone else dance with their boyfriends. You made me feel...special. And I'd never really felt like that before." 

Donghyuck sighed contentedly. "I ing love you so much." 

"Me too," Mark responded, snuggling his head in Donghyuck's chest, never wanting this perfect moment to end. "Me too, Hyuck." 

On the bench by the snack table, Kun and Renjun had sat down as soon as the slow jam came on. They both sighed, watching their friends and the older kids all slow dance happily with their boyfriends. Taeil stepping on Johnny's toes, Taeyong's hands in Ten's back pockets, Yuta and Sicheng making intense eye contact, Jaehyun leading Doyoung, Jungwoo blushing as Yukhei held him close, Chenle and Jisung slow dancing but keeping about a foot of room between them. Renjun watched as Kun briefly looked up at Yuta and Sicheng before training his eyes to the ground. Renjun normally didn't care about romance at camp, especially since he didn't have feelings for anyone, but somehow in that moment he felt especially lonely. After a moment of debate, he turned to Kun. 

" it. Wanna dance?" Renjun asked. 

Kun thought for a half second before nodding and giggling. "Why the hell not?" 

The two of them got up awkwardly and laughed, moving to the dance floor. At first they made like Chenle and Jisung, swaying uncomfortably in one spot and leaving way too much room between them, but soon enough they decided it didn't matter whatsoever. Laughing at the ridiculousness of it all, they danced until it was time to go back home.