Twenty: Deeper Than This

The Second Summer of the Boys

Yuta had finally made his choice. 

After he'd run out of the cabin where the others played truth or dare, the image of Kun's lips on Sicheng's haunted his mind. It left a pit in his stomach and it made him confused, heartbroken, and just plain exhausted. All he wanted to do was sleep; maybe rest would erase that burdensome image from his mind. So he'd made his way to the other cabin, crawled into Jeno's bed, and tried to fall asleep. 

He only slept halfway, hearing the other boys come back in after the game but ignoring their words. Tears had already left his cheeks stained hours ago and he just wanted to forget. He heard Jeno crawl into Jaemin's bed, leaving him be, and he finally fell asleep. 

When he woke up the next morning, he knew what he had to do. 

As soon as the breakfast bell rang he rushed out of the cabin, ignoring the confused stares and whispers from the younger campers. He ran to catch up to Sicheng, and thanked god that for once, Kun wasn't by his side. 

"Can I talk to you?" Yuta asked, the others turning to look at them. "Alone," he added. 

"Y-yeah. I wanted to talk to you too."

They walked back to their cabin side by side but not touching, and Yuta had to control every breath he took to stop himself from crying. He knew what he had to do, but the very idea of it still broke him into pieces. Maybe it was bad that the two of them were missing breakfast, but this conversation was by far more important. 

As soon as they got inside, Sicheng's carefully neutral expression turned into one of great concern and hurt. 

"Yuta, what's going on? It's been so weird lately and-"

"I think we should break up." 

Sicheng looked entirely shell shocked as his jaw dropped. "What?" He screamed, and it was Yuta's turn to look surprised. He'd never heard Sicheng speak that loudly. 

Yuta sighed, trying to control himself, he didn't want to break down in front of the boy he loved so dearly. "I know how you feel, and as hard as I've tried to win you back, I can't. I just...I understand. I'm setting you free," Yuta spoke, cursing himself when he began to sniffle. 

"Wh-what are you talking about?" Sicheng cried. 

"I know you've developed feelings for Kun and you don't love me anymore, Sicheng, it's alright, please don't make this any harder than it has to be. Please, just go. I'm setting you free." 

Tears pooled in Yuta's eyes but Sicheng was outright sobbing, and Yuta couldn't even stand to look at his face. 

"Yuta, I don't love--"

"It's okay, I'm telling you. You can go. All I want is for you to be happy, and it's obvious I can't make you happy anymore. S-so please," Yuta said, choking on his words. "L-let this be over so I can stop hurting you. G-go." 

"You're hurting me now!" Sicheng sobbed, but Yuta continued to shake his head. 

"W-we have to do this."

"But I-"

"Don't lie to me, Sicheng, I don't think it'll make me feel better any more. It's okay that you don't feel that way for me any more." Yuta sniffled loudly. "It's...okay." The words sounded like a lie even to Yuta's lips, but he had to say them. 

Sicheng crouched down on the floor of the cabin and began to cry into his palms, and Yuta had to work to try and understand why Sicheng was so upset. He really believed Sicheng was falling for Kun, and that once Yuta broke things off with him, he'd have to work to contain his happiness. Yuta sighed; this must've been an act to make Yuta feel better. Or maybe, Sicheng felt guilty about emotionally cheating on Yuta. 

"I don't feel anyth-"

"No, Sicheng, you don't have to lie to make me feel better. I'll always love you but it doesn't matter, you have to be happy. N-now, can you go? I-I need to be alone."

"Yuta, I lo-"

"Please, go!" Yuta yelled, and Sicheng stopped speaking. Sniffling loudly, he got up and walked out of the cabin. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Kun entered the cabin after breakfast to find Sicheng a complete wreck. 

He was the first one in the cabin so as soon as the others tried to enter, he shooed them away and shut the cabin door. They returned his actions with confused looks, but didn't bother them any more. 

Immediately, Kun was concerned about Sicheng; he'd never seen him like this before. In fact, Kun didn't think he'd seen anyone like this before. 

Sicheng wasn't just crying, he was sobbing, maybe beyond that point. His face was streaked with tear stains, his eyes were rimmed red, and even his nose was a bit snotty. His sobbing was so loud he couldn't believe he hadn't heard it from outside the cabin, and he was rolling around on the cabin floor. 

"Holy ," Kun mouthed, grabbing some tissues and handing them to Sicheng. "Are you alright?"

Sicheng just kept on sobbing almost ridiculously, and Kun had his answer. 

"What happened?"

"Yuta broke up with me," Sicheng groaned, and Kun was frozen still. 

Kun thought he would've been overjoyed in this moment. Knowing that Sicheng was single now, and for him to be with, should have left him feeling satisfied, like he'd finally won. Instead, there was a pit in the bottom of his stomach. He knew now for sure that Sicheng felt nothing for him, even if he had accepted all of his flirtation. Seeing Sicheng so broken by this made Kun sure that Sicheng would never feel this way about him. 

"He thinks I don't love him any more but I love him so much!" Sicheng sobbed, and Kun's heart broke for his crush. Sicheng talked about Yuta to him all the time but he never knew their feelings for each other ran this deep.

Even though Kun's feelings for Sicheng ran deep too, he couldn't bear to see him like this. And slowly, he was starting to realize, that maybe...all of this was his fault. That he shouldn't have assumed that Yuta and Sicheng were just flighty teenage lovers, and he could just in and take Sicheng for himself. That he should've resigned himself to just be Sicheng's friend, and that was all. Maybe if he'd respected their relationship, his crush on Sicheng would've gone away. 

Guilt washed through him and he couldn't even look at Sicheng's tear-wrecked form. He was trembling and sobbing and this was literally all his fault. 

He had to do something, he had to. He was the one who started this mess, now he had to fix it. 

"Sicheng-- I'm sorry," Kun said. Sicheng briefly looked at him, then returned to crying. "I...I'm sorry I tried to take you away from him. You're too good for that."

"Wh-what?" Sicheng sniffled. "You were?"

Kun sighed, he knew Sicheng could be oblivious, but he didn't realize he was that oblivious. No matter; this was still his problem to fix. 

"I'm gonna go now. I'm gonna fix this, Sicheng, I promise."

"What?" Sicheng mumbled, but Kun was already out the door. 

Kun ran across the grass and pathway until got to the other cabin, pushing his way inside. 

"What the do you want?" Yuta growled from his spot on the floor, his eyes rimmed red as well. 

Kun sighed. "I..." He started then sighed again. 

"Are you here to gloat or something? Because you can off if that's the case." 

"No, I'm not. I'm here to...apologize." At this, Yuta fell silent. "I...I'm sorry. I'm sorry I tried to interfere in your relationship, I really am. I didn't realize how serious you two were. I overstepped my boundaries."

"What's your point?"

"Huh?"

"Why apologize now? Why bother?" Yuta asked. "He likes you. You get to be with him. Thanks for the apology, but it means nothing to me. You feel the guilt only now that you've won."

"I haven't won," Kun admitted, and Yuta looked up at him in surprise. "He doesn't feel anything for me. It was obvious that he hated when I kissed him. And Taeil asked him last night, after you'd left truth or dare, and he said he didn't like me at all. Pretty bluntly in a cruel and twisted way, I might add, but that doesn't matter right now. And if that didn't make it clear enough, his frantic sobbing today really proved that point. He feels nothing for me, nothing."

"Are you sure?" Yuta asked. 

Kun gave him a deadpan look. "He's hysterical right now. Inconsolible. He never wanted to break up with you, dude, he loves you so much." 

"Then why the hell would he-"

"Cling to me like that?" Kun said, finishing his sentence. "He's totally oblivious. He had no idea I was hitting on him. I mean, I guess since he's homeschooled he really doesn't know much about social cues." 

Yuta slowly stood up and shook out his hair. "Where is he?" 

"The other cabin." 

Yuta nodded and walked over to Kun, patting him on the back. "Thanks for being decent, for once." 

Kun chuckled. "I guess it's what I deserve." Yuta nodded again, and ran out of the cabin. 

Now it was Kun's turn to sit on the floor. He sighed loudly, wiping the last of his own tears from his eyes. Now there was no way he'd ever win Sicheng's heart, and he wouldn't have a single friend at camp. But at least he did the right thing. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yuta's heart broke into a million pieces when he entered the other cabin and saw Sicheng. Kun was right, Sicheng really was hysterical. 

Sicheng didn't even notice when Yuta came in, sobbing loudly, and Yuta couldn't stop himself from rushing over and wrapping his arms around Sicheng's shuddering frame. 

"Yuta!" Sicheng cried immediately. 

"Baby I'm so sorry...." Yuta said, watching Sicheng's pained expression. "I should've listened to you."

"Do you..." Sicheng paused to sniffle. "Not love me anymore."

"Oh my god no...Sichengie, I love you to the moon and back. You're my everything, I swear."

"So...are we not broken up now?"

"As long as you still love me and want me," Yuta promised. 

"Of course I do!" Sicheng cried, burying his face in Yuta's chest. 

Yuta grunted for a moment before managing to pick up Sicheng's still shaking body and put him on their bed. 

"We've gotta talk this out though," Yuta said, sitting down next to him. Sicheng had managed to stop sobbing but was still sniffling, and out of habit Yuta began to pet his hair. "Why did you stop spending time with me? Why did only hang out with him?"

"I dunno...every time we'd hang out I wanted to go to you, but he always asked me to stay, and I felt weird saying no...I always wanted to be alone with you, but I didn't want to make him feel ignored."

"You know he was totally flirting with you, right?"

Sicheng blinked up at Yuta and shook his head. "I really had no idea..."

Yuta sighed. "I should've trusted you more and known you wouldn't emotionally cheat on me." Sicheng sniffled and rubbed his nose. "It's just, because of my ex, sometimes that's hard to do." 

"I shouldn't have pushed you away just to make him not feel bad. I made you feel bad instead, and I love you more than anyone else."

Yuta finally began to smile, for the first time in so long. "It feels so good to hear you say that." 

"If you promise to trust me, I'll promise to always put you first. Alright?" Sicheng said.

"Of course. Pinky promise?"

A smile began to poke out of the corner of Sicheng's lips at Yuta's sillyness, but he and Yuta locked pinkies anyways. Sicheng began to giggle and Yuta returned it with that beaming smile of his. Sicheng didn't realize how much he'd missed Yuta's big grin and happy laughs. 

"I feel like I haven't kissed you in forever..." Sicheng mumbled. 

Yuta laughed. "Then kiss me!"

So Sicheng reached up and did, and finally, everything was right.