Twenty-Eight: Until Next Time

The Second Summer of the Boys

Johnny and Taeil simoultaneously groaned as they woke up the morning of the final day at camp. 

"I don't wanna go!" Johnny screamed jokingly. Taeil rolled on top of Johnny before looking up confusedly. 

"Wait, where is everyone?"

Johnny sat up too and looked around; the cabin was completely empty. Even everyone's luggage was gone. 

Suddenly, Sehun pushed open the door to the cabin with a frustrated expression. 

"Guys!" He yelled. "The breakfast bell was four hours ago! Your parents are here?"

"," Johnny mumbled. 

"Just hurry up," Sehun groaned, leaving them alone abruptly. As soon as he was gone, Johnny and Taeil leapt out of bed and started stuffing their things in their luggage. 

"We really should've done this last night," Taeil said as they haphazardly shut their luggage and raced out of the cabin. 

They ran down the gravel path, Johnny suddenly grabbing Taeil's hand. They shared a smile, stopping and panting right before they got to the parking lot. 

Johnny pulled Taeil in for a quick and sweet kiss before rubbing his arm. They shared a smile, trying to be happy to not waste their time. The sadness could wait until they were apart. 

"See you next year?"

"See you next year," Taeil answered, and they ran for their parent's cars so they couldn't see the frowns on their faces. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Unlike last year, Taeyong had actually packed all of his luggage the night before. He and Ten had their luggage sitting in front of them as they dejectedly sat in front of the parking lot. They shared a sigh.

"I love you..." Taeyong said slowly. 

"Love you more," Ten answered. 

Just then, the two boys heard soft sniffles coming from behind them. They turned to see Jisung and Chenle standing behind them, holding back their tears of sorrow.

"Aw babies!" Ten said softly, and he and Taeyong shared a look. They both knew that they had to keep a good face, for the kids. 

"Don't worry," Taeyong said as he wiped away their tears. "Next year will come way sooner than you think." 

"Not soon enough," Chenle whined loudly. 

"No, Lele. It's soon, I promise," Ten answered, rubbing Chenle's arm. 

"Are you sure?" Jisung asked, and the older boys nodded back. 

"Alright then, maybe it isn't so bad," Chenle spoke.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ten and Taeyong's parents arrived soon after, leaving Chenle and Jisung by themselves in the parking lot. Jisung alternated looking between the ground and Chenle, not quite sure what to say. He felt a weird feeling in his gut, like he'd never felt before, but he didn't know what to do about it. 

Suddenly, Chenle pulled Jisung into a tight hug. Jisung slowly hugged back, surprised when Chenle held him there for a long time. He felt his face heat up and he touched his cheek. 

"Jisungie?"

"Yeah?"

"Uh-um...I..." Chenle started. Just as he was about to finish, a car honked beside them, and the two boys turned. "That's my mom!" Chenle said awkwardly, finally pulling away from the hug and running into the car. "Bye!" He called, and all Jisung could do was wave in confusion as he drove away. 

~~~~~~~~~~

After Jeno and Jaemin said goodbye to Mark and Donghyuck, they walked hand in hand down to the parking lot.

"It was good this year, right?" Jaemin spoke. 

"Waiting for you this year is gonna be painful," Jeno answered. 

"But it'll be worth it," Jaemin mumbled, kissing Jeno on the cheek. Jeno giggled, turning Jaemin's head so they could kiss on the lips. 

"I love you," Jeno whispered against his lips. 

"I love you too," Jaemin responded in his gentle voice, and Jeno immediately couldn't wait for next year. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jungwoo, it'll be okay," Yukhei whispered gently. Jungwoo sniffled softly, his face buried in Yukhei's t-shirt. "I'll call you every single day, I promise." 

"What if you don't like me next year?" Jungwoo asked softly. 

"I would never stop liking you. Don't be insecure. You're better than all the stupid people at my school. No one could beat you." 

Jungwoo managed a small smile, looking up at his boyfriend. 

"I'm gonna miss you too," Yukhei said very quietly. 

"Bro!" A loud voice yelled. They both turned, and Jungwoo saw a guy who looked a lot like Yukhei sticking his head out of the window, wearing a football jersey. 

"That's my brother," Yukhei said sadly. 

"Dude, did you score at camp?" Yukhei's brother yelled. Jungwoo turned pink and Yukhei grinned. 

"Bye baby," Yukhei said softly. Jungwoo rubbed his eyes as Yukhei pecked his lips, watching him walk away. 

"Bro, he's cute. You're a lucky guy!" Jungwoo heard Yukhei's brother say. Jungwoo bit his lip and flushed softly to himself, maybe he wasn't so bad. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yuta and Sicheng were leaning against one of the cabins by the parking lots when they looked up to see Sicheng's car. 

"I guess this is goodbye," Yuta said with defeat. 

"No," Sicheng responded, tugging Yuta over to the car. Sicheng's parents stepped out to help him with his luggage before looking at Yuta with surprise. 

"I want you to meet someone," Sicheng spoke. "This is Yuta." Yuta noticed a light of recognition in both of their eyes. 

"It's nice to finally meet you," Sicheng's father spoke, and Yuta shook hands with both his parents. Yuta could feel the tension in the air; he knew he wasn't exactly popular with Sicheng's parents. 

"It's nice to meet you both as well," Yuta answered. 

"I hope you two had a good time at camp together," Sicheng's mom spoke. 

"Any time I get to see Sicheng is magical," Yuta answered completley honestly. Sicheng's parents shared a look before smiling politely back at Yuta. 

"Well, we better head off. Nice to meet you," Sicheng's dad said. 

"Nice to meet you too," Yuta answered. He turned to Sicheng with a smile. "I love you," he mouthed. 

"I love you more," Sicheng mouthed back, just as he stepped into the backseat of the car. 

Yuta stood absolutely still, watching as the car drove away. 

"Yuta seems very sweet," Yuta heard Sicheng's mother say. 

"I told you so!" Sicheng yelled back. Yuta grinned, and waited for his own parents to come. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, this ," Jaehyun said dejectedly as they sat on a log by the parking lot, waiting for their parents to arrive. 

"Duh," Doyoung answered, then sighed. "We've survived one school year before. We'll make it." 

Jaehyun huffed. "Barely," he mumbled. 

"I'd rather not endure life without you again," Doyoung spoke, looking over at Jaehyun. "But if I must, I must." 

"How many years until we can go to college together?"

Doyoung sighed again. "Two. No, wait, you have an extra year, so three." 

"That's really gross," Jaehyun said.

"Agreed," Doyoung responded. 

"Can you kiss me? Maybe it'll make me less depressed." 

"I don't want my parents seeing me making out again," Doyoung responded. 

"At least leave me with something!" Jaehyun whined. 

Doyoung placed a slight peck on his lips, and Jaehyun rolled his eyes. 

"I guess that's enough." 

~~~~~~~~~~

Mark and Donghyuck had been waiting silently in the parking lot before Donghyuck suddenly turned to Mark.

"I'm gonna miss you so much Mark," Donghyuck mumbled into Jaehyun's skin, holding him as tight as he could. 

"Me too, me too," Mark responded, gripping onto the back of Donghyuck's shirt. The pair reached forward to share a passionate kiss, holding each other as tightly as they could. Donghyuck reached up and picked up Mark, Mark wrapping his legs around Donghyuck's waist as they refused to break their kiss. Ignoring the sound of a honking horn, they kissed as if the day would last forever. 

The honk repeated, much louder this time, and the two boys broke apart. They turned towards the source of the noise to see Donghyuck's parents car parked right in front of where they were making out, Mark's face turning from bright red to ghostly wide. 

Mark dislodged himself from Donghyuck as Mark stared back at Donghyuck's parents and three siblings, cursing himself internally. 

"So this must be the legendary Mark Lee!" Donghyuck's dad teased, sticking his head out of the car window. Donghyuck just grimaced back at him uncomfortably, and Mark whimpered uncomfortably.

"Mark and Hyuckie sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g," Donghyuck's three siblings chanted in unison.

"Sorry," Donghyuck mouthed to Mark.

"Come on, hop in," Donghyuck's mother said, and Donghyuck went to go put his things in the trunk. 

He turned back towards Mark, and the couple shared a soft smile. 

"I'll miss you," Mark said softly, managing a small smile. 

"Miss you too," Donghyuck spoke, grinning back, and got in the car to head home. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And....there it is! This story is finally over. I hope you all enjoyed it! Thank you so much for all your subscribes, upvotes, and comments. Each one means a lot to me. 

As for this story/au, I may or may not write a final sequel. If I do write a sequel it won't be for a while, but I can hint that it'll fast forward to NCT as camp counselors!

My next story is a rated m, NCT abo chaptered story (which you can find here). It'll have all the same couples as here (except for the dreamies). It definitely won't be as fluffy as this story but I do always write happy endings. Like all my other stories, it'll also be cross posted on ao3.

Thank you guys again for all of your love and support. Hopefully I'll see you at my abo story/the sequel!

-RainbowDonkeys