Twenty-Four: The Hike

The Second Summer of the Boys

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope you're all enjoying the story thus far. Sadly, we're almost at the end! I originally planned 28 chapters and don't think I'll be adding any more. It's weird to think this journey will be ending so soon...anyways, to all of you who celebrate it, merry late christmas! All of my subscribers and commenters are really the best gift I could receive. Now, let's get on with it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That morning at breakfast, Sehun approached the table where the eighteen boys always seemed to eat breakfast. 

"The hike is today," he simply explained. "You guys should come." 

"No. ing. Way," Doyoung responded, remembering last year when he almost hyperventilated on the walk. Doyoung wasn't exactly the most fit person at camp, so the idea of going back to that torture seemed like the worst thing he could possibly do. 

"Oh come on, babe," Jaehyun said. "It'll be romantic." 

"No, it will not," Doyoung rebutted. 

"Some of us will probably show up," Yukhei interrupted, turning to Sehun. 

"Cool," the counselor responded. "Come to the bridge in an hour. See ya, guys." 

Doyoung groaned and rolled his eyes. 

"No way are we going," Doyoung mumbled to his boyfriend. 

That, in fact, was a lie. An hour later at the bridge, Yuta, Sicheng, Kun, Jungwoo, Yukhei, Renjun, Jeno, Jaemin, Chenle, and Jisung were waiting. Jaehyun was dragging along a disgruntled Doyoung behind him. 

"You know, I'm only going because I love you and want to spend time to you," Doyoung muttered to Jaehyun, turning to give him a pointed stare. "But you owe me." Jaehyun just giggled and ruffled Doyoung's hair, much to his boyfriend's chagrin. 

"Where are the others?" Chenle asked as they waited for their counselor. Even though Chenle seemed just curious, Doyoung knew he and Jisung were secretly missing Taeyong and Ten. 

"Taeyong and Ten wanted to have alone time in the cabin," Yuta explained. 

"But Johnny and Taeil wanted to nap in the cabin, so their alone time was thwarted," Sicheng finished. 

"And Mark and Donghyuck wanted to have alone time too," Jaehyun added. All of the teenagers grimaced and Yuta even shuddered. 

"The very idea of that is...disgusting," Jeno said. 

"They're probably just cuddling! Not...doing the make out thing," Jisung said. 

"Oh sweetie, I don't know about that," Kun answered. 

"We can only hope Jisung is right," Doyoung added, and the two of them shared a smile. 

Just then, Sehun and Yixing, the five to sevens counselor, approached them. 

"Are you guys ready?" Sehun asked. 

"Yeah!" Chenle answered cheerfully. 

"No," Doyoung mumbled pathetically. 

"Alright then, let's go."

Yukhei smiled and reached for Jungwoo's hand as soon as they began to walk across the bridge and onto the path. Yukhei loved sports, especially hiking, partially just to where exercise clothes that showed off his muscles: he had on a black tank top and gym shorts. He could see Jungwoo shyly looking at his biceps every so often, and Yukhei couldn't stop from grinning. 

But the main reason Yukhei loved hikes was he loved working out his body. Being under the hot sun and working up a sweat was one of his greatest joys in life, and to be able to do it with the nice sounds and smells and views of nature, plus with Jungwoo by his side, was his version of heaven. 

Yukhei leaned down to press a kiss to Jungwoo's head, pulling away with a big grin. But as Jungwoo smiled up at him, Yukhei noticed something was off. He knew that Jungwoo was by no means a jock and was definitely more of the academic type, but he didn't realize Jungwoo wasn't as strong as him when he insisted they go for the hike. They'd made it up one of the hills, but Yukhei saw that steep inclines followed for the rest of the road. 

At this point, Yukhei stopped. Jungwoo was panting heavily, and his palms felt very sweaty in Yukhei's hand. 

"C-can we take a break?" Jungwoo asked. 

"Of course, babe," Yukhei responded with concern, resting his hands on Jungwoo's slight shoulders. "Are you alright?"

Jungwoo nodded. "Just...tired." He laughed breathlessly. "I'm so weak." 

"I didn't know it would be so hard..." Yukhei spoke guiltily. 

"But it makes you happy," Jungwoo softly responded. Yukhei slowly bloomed into a smile, then kissed Jungwoo's cheek. 

"How far are we?" Yukhei asked Sehun. 

"Like...halfway," Sehun answered. By the way he was panting, Yukhei could tell he wasn't so fit either. 

Figuring that it wasn't too far more, Yukhei made a quick decision. He bent down onto his knees, crouching over and beckoning Jungwoo closer. 

"Wh-what are you doing?" He asked. 

"Climb on my back," Yukhei responded. Jungwoo still looked confused but he did as Yukhei asked, wrapping his arms around Yukhei's neck. 

With a small groan Yukhei stood up, carrying Jungwoo around piggy back style. Jungwoo began to giggle with delight and buried his face in Yukhei's shoulder. 

"Thank you!" He said gleefully. 

"Anything for you, babe," Yukhei answered, and Jungwoo felt like he was in a teen movie for just a moment. 

Meanwhile, Doyoung was panting heavily, rolling his eyes at his own weakness. Two minutes into the hike he'd realized this wasn't a good idea, and cursed his love for Jaehyun for clouding his hatred of all exercise. 

Yukhei, with Jungwoo on his back, bounded past and immediately he and Jaehyun began to laugh. 

"Show off!" Jaehyun called to Yukhei jokingly, squeezing Doyoung's sweaty hand. 

"Why don't...you do that?" Doyoung complained between pants. 

"Sorry baby, I'm too weak. I'm no football star," Jaehyun answered. Doyoung briefly rested his head on Jaehyun's shoulder, and they began to walk on. 

A few minutes later Doyoung stopped, tugging Jaehyun back with him. 

"I need...a break," he panted out. Jaehyun turned to him and Doyoung could see concern growing in his eyes. 

"Are you okay?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Didn't I tell you?" Doyoung responded. "I almost died on the last hike." 

"Come on and catch up now; I can't leave you behind!" Sehun yelled to the two boys. "The lunch spot is really close." 

"Lunch?" Doyoung said, perking up immediately. Jaehyun chuckled and sighed with relief; if Doyoung had a head for food he was alright for sure. 

"Yeah. Come on, let's catch up." 

Doyoung groaned loudly but followed after his boyfriend begrudgingly. Jaehyun held his hand tightly, helping him over big rocks and little streams, and almost forgot about the fact that Jungwoo was getting a free ride up all the hills and rocks and rough and tumble naturey area to the beautiful lake over looking the perfect view. 

"One last hill," Jaehyun mumbled as Doyoung trudged his way over. Finally, he breathed a sigh of relief: they were there. He could see the lake, the cliffs around it, the view of the forest laying behind them. It was beautiful, and Doyoung remembered that maybe this whole journey was worth it. 

"Come get lunch!" Sehun called to the campers. Doyoung watched as all the boys rushed for their sandwiches; despite chef Kyungsoo's grumpiness he did make the best sandwiches ever. 

Jaehyun grinned and held Doyoung's hand, starting to run over to Sehun. Immediately, Doyoung tugged him back. 

"After that hike, there is no way we are running." 

~~~~~~~~~~

After eating their food, Yukhei and Jungwoo decided it would be a fun idea to go into one of the smaller pools of water beside the big lake in the middle. Yukhei had wanted to jump off one of the ledges but Jungwoo had refused to let him do such a thing, climbing down the mountain face and into the pool. 

Yukhei sighed relaxedly as he peeled off his shirt and slid into the water, the coolness of it beating off the heat of the sun above. Jungwoo followed next to him, shyly taking off his t-shirt too. 

"Aren't you glad you didn't jump off?" Jungwoo spoke. "The water's really shallow. You would've hurt yourself." 

"Yeah. I am glad," Yukhei responded with a smile. They sat on the little ledge in the small pool, looking out over their friends playing in the lake and the fantastic view. Yukhei lifted Jungwoo's legs over his own thighs with his large hands, and all seemed to be right with the world. 

"I'm so glad you and I started dating," Jungwoo said, even quieter than his normal speaking voice. He looked up at Yukhei with a small smile, and Yukhei grinned back down at him. 

"Me too," Yukhei answered. "We're really different people, but I think that's what makes us good together. 

"I agree," Jungwoo answered softly. "I'll really miss you when I go home." 

"Me too. There's no one like you at home." 

Jungwoo buried his face in Yukhei's shoulder to hide his smile and blush. "Don't be so cheesy." 

"Why not? You're my boyfriend," he answered. "How long has it been?"

"Since what?" Jungwoo asked, lifting his head. 

"Since we started dating."

"Hmm....wait, so, um....exactly two weeks, I think," Jungwoo answered. 

"It feels way longer. Like, I've dated other people before, and even after a few months I haven't felt like this with them." 

Jungwoo chuckled. "Well, you're my first relationship, so..."

"Wait, seriously?"

"Yeah. You were my first kiss, too." 

"At truth or dare?" Yukhei clarified, and Jungwoo nodded. "That's so crazy... I hope I'm good enough to you." 

"You're perfect," Jungwoo answered, his voice barely above a whisper. 

"I still can't believe it's only been two weeks." 

"Maybe it's because we're together all the time...like, I dunno for sure, but with other relationships you see each other at school or on dates and stuff, but you go home at the end of the day and don't see each other all the time. I don't think you and I have been apart for more than an hour or two since we started camp." 

Yukhei grinned. "That's probably right. You're really smart, you know." 

"I dunno..." Jungwoo shyly mumbled, and Yukhei smiled back down at him. 

"Do you wanna know something?" Yukhei asked, and Jungwoo nodded. Yukhei gave him a once over before speaking. "I love you, Jungwoo." 

Jungwoo gasped and looked surprised before his expression turned into a smile. "I love you too, Yukhei!" 

They pulled each other in for a tight hug, Yukhei sighing contentedly into Jungwoo's dark hair. Maybe this relationship really was going to last a while. 

At the big lake, Jaehyun and Doyoung had played in the water for a little while before growing tired; they couldn't keep up with Chenle and Jisung's antics like Ten and Taeyong could. So after a while they got partway out of the cool lake water, sitting on the ledge with their legs dipped in. 

"Do you remember last year?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Of course," Doyoung responded with a laugh. "Sicheng fell asleep on the rocks and everyone got in the freezing water." 

Jaehyun giggled and smiled sneakily. "What is it?" Doyoung asked. 

"You know, this is the spot where I first admitted I liked you." 

"To who?" 

"Johnny, Taeil, Yuta, etcetera, etcetera," Jaehyun responded. "Everyone but you and Ten, since you two snuck off." 

Doyoung looked at his boyfriend in surprise. "That's crazy." 

"Why?"

"This is the spot where I admitted to Ten that I liked you. I felt so weird; you know I'd never really liked anyone before. I felt like a deer in the headlights."

Jaehyun laughed again, and Doyoung pondered for a moment on just how much he loved Jaehyun's cheery disposition. "You know, I liked people before. But not like you. It's never been like you," he answered, the two of them reaching to interlace their fingers. 

"How long ago was all that? Like a year ago?"

"Yeah, pretty much," Jaehyun answered, turning to Doyoung. "Isn't it crazy how far we've come?"

Doyoung turned back to him. "It is crazy. I never thought I'd be in love at fifteen." 

"And it's all because of me," Jaehyun jokingly responded. 

"Don't kid yourself, babe," Doyoung answered. But Doyoung knew that Jaehyun was totally right.