One: The Boys are Back

The Second Summer of the Boys

"Doyoung, listen to me! Now I know you had a lot of fun last year, especially with that Jaehyun kid, and I know you're a little bit older now, and you may be getting some urges...." Doyoung's father lectured from the front seat. 

But Doyoung had blocked out his voice completely. He was bouncing in his seat in the back, impatiently staring at his phone as his parents drove to his favorite place in the entire universe: Camp Purple. 

It had been almost a year since he'd left the place he'd met his eight best friends (plus his boyfriend), and god did he miss it. They'd texted and called and snapchatted and facetimed and skyped all year long, but that could not ever replace time face to face. And now, finally, Doyoung was going to get some. 

The group chat was blowing up with messages; some of his old friends had already arrived, others were still on their way. When Jaehyun texted that he was there, Doyoung's stomach began to burn with butterflies. 

"Doyoung, are you even listening?" Doyoung's mother asked. "This is very important."

"Yeah, of course," Doyoung lied. 

Doyoung's dad sighed. "We just want you to be safe, alright?" 

"Dad, I'm not gonna have !" Doyoung whined. 

"Have you ever heard of mono? The kissing disease?" His mom asked, right as the car pulled into the parking lot. 

As soon as the car was stopped, the engine not even off yet, Doyoung leapt out of the car to grab his things. 

"Wait, wait!" Doyoung's mother called with laughter. "Let me help you." She started lifting Doyoung's things out of the trunk and Doyoung gave her a smile. 

"Thanks mom." 

"It's nothing," she said in her usual, gentle voice, and with a pang Doyoung remembered how much he'd missed her last summer. But he shrugged it off, trying to maintain his excitement for the coming month. 

They finished putting all of Doyoung's things onto the gravel, and Doyoung gave her a hug. 

"I'll miss you." 

She smiled back at him. "I'm just glad you're excited," she admitted, ruffling Doyoung's hair in a way that made him grimace. "I'm just happy to see you wanting to hang out with friends." 

"Bye son!" Doyoung's father called. "Have fun! And remember what we talked about!" 

Doyoung rolled his eyes. "Fine dad!" His mother hopped back into the car, and the two of them drove off. 

Doyoung watched the car roll down the gravel road with a small smile before grinning brightly and turning around. 

Suddenly, he was there. His best friend, his boyfriend, the person he'd missed more than anything else in the world: Jung Jaehyun. 

Immediately, Jaehyun ran into his arms and captured him in a tight hug. "Doyoungie," he said softly into Doyoung's hair, and Doyoung felt himself relax immediately. He'd forgotten how nice it was to be held and touched like this. He honestly forgot how much he absolutely adored Jaehyun. 

When they pulled away from the hug, Doyoung looked him over. He'd gotten quite a bit taller (not to mention handsomer), probably due to puberty; he was finally in high school after all. He'd dyed his hair an auburn brown, it made him look even more like the boy next door in teen movies Doyoung never imagined he'd have a chance with. Now, here he was, right in front of him. 

But seeing him in person for the first time in a whole year made Doyoung really, really nervous. He cut eye contact and smiled widely, pushing back his black hair. "I missed you so, so much." 

Jaehyun chuckled back, and it sounded like music to Doyoung's ears. "Me too. You have no idea. Now...don't I get a kiss?" 

He tilted Doyoung's face up and pressed their lips together gently, Doyoung holding onto the front of his plain t-shirt to keep him close. Doyoung flushed at the contact; his body had forgotten what it felt like to kiss over the course of this year. But he didn't feel too bad; he could feel Jaehyun's face heating up too. 

"Maybe we shouldn't spend all day making out in the parking lot," Doyoung said. 

Jaehyun laughed. "Good idea. Almost everyone else is here already, we should see them." 

Doyoung nodded and he picked up some of his luggage, Jaehyun grabbing the rest as they headed to the sign in table. 

"I remember you guys!" Yixing, the five to sevens counselor, spoke excitedly. "Welcome back. You two will be in cabin e2 this year." He checked off Doyoung's name, and they started to head down to their cabin. 

"Same cabin this year!" Jaehyun said excitedly. Doyoung grinned up at Jaehyun and they pecked lips. 

"Exciting," Doyoung responded, remembering when he and Jaehyun would sleep in the same bed and cuddle the year before. His father's warnings were absolutely ridiculous; Jaehyun and himself (other than occasional make out sessions) were the purest couple imaginable. 

Doyoung breathed in his surroundings with a smile. Camp Purple was as beautiful as ever: the dense trees, warm summer air that just breathed better, bright sunlight, crunch of the woodchips and gravel beneath his feet. He was almost as in love with this place as he was with Jaehyun, if that was even possible. 

The two boys caught up on all the things they'd forgot to tell each other over social media, dumping Doyoung's things onto the same bed as Jaehyun's before rushing into the dining hall at the sound of the meal bell. 

It only took Doyoung one second to find the rest of his friends. They were all seated at their usual table, although Doyoung noticed many more people packed around it. Some looked familiar, as they might've just gotten bumped up from the 10-12s group from last year, and there were some new faces as well. Doyoung and Jaehyun held hands and squeezed in at the table slyly, as the others were in conversation. 

"DOYOUNG!" Ten immediately screamed, interrupting everyone's conversations to rush and hug his best friend. All of Doyoung's other friends, Taeyong, Johnny, Taeil, Yuta, Sicheng, Mark, and Donghyuck hugged Doyoung so hard they almost pushed him over the edge of the table. The others just looked on like they were crazy. 

"I'm sorry about these guys," Doyoung said to the newbies as soon as his friends got off. 

"Nah, we're used to it. They've done that for every single person who came in," one of the new teenagers said. "I'm just glad this time he waited until after the camp director's speech."

"Joonmyeon and Yifan already did their shpiel?" Jaehyun asked, and everyone else nodded

"Anyways..." One of the familiar faces added, "You should learn this first thing, Donghyuck's crazy." Doyoung looked up and noticed a very different looking Donghyuck smack this kid, the other hand surprisingly resting on Mark's thigh. A lot must have happened over the school year, Doyoung figured. 

"H-Hi..." One of the newbies stuttered. "I-I know you all know each other but, I don't know any of you, s-so can we all introduce ourselves maybe?" He asked in the gentlest, sweetest voice possible. Doyoung immediately felt a wave of protectiveness overcome him hearing this guy speak. 

"That's a great idea!" Another new kid said, the really really tall one added. "I'm Yukhei, I'm fourteen. I'm gonna be a sophomore." He grinned. 

The shy boy next to him with the gentle voice spoke next. "I'm Jungwoo, I'm fourteen too." 

"I'm Taeil," he introduced. Doyoung noticed he looked almost exactly the same, his eyes frequently going to Johnny. "I'm sixteen, I'll be a senior in the fall." 

"I'm Johnny, I'll be a senior too." He was just as handsome as ever, his eyes going back to Taeil. Doyoung wondered, too, what had happened during the school year between them. 

"I'm Ten, I'm fifteen, gonna be a junior, and this is my boyfriend Taeyong," Ten introduced, gesturing back to Taeyong (whose lap he was sitting on). "He's sixteen like Johnny and Taeil." Taeyong was too busy mouthing at Ten's neck to introduce himself.

"I'm Kun, uh, I'm fifteen too," the other newbie introduced, the one who'd spoken directly to Doyoung. He seemed pretty inconspicous to Doyoung; he reminded him of himself and Taeil. 

"I'm Doyoung, I'm fifteen, I'm gonna be a junior," he said quickly. 

"I'm Yuta, I'm sixteen, and this is my boyfriended Sicheng." Doyoung grinned when he saw the adorable couple. Sicheng was clinging onto Yuta's muscular arm, and Yuta gave him back a loving grin, pressing a kiss to his forehead. Doyoung noticed Kun look at the couple out of the corner of his eye, but the look was gone as quickly as it came. 

"I'm Sicheng, I'm fourteen," Sicheng shyly introduced.

"I'm Jaehyun, I'm fourteen too. I'm gonna be a sophomore, and...Doyoung's my boyfriend, by the way." Both of them flushed pink and Doyoung shyly buried his head in Jaehyun's shoulder, sort of embarrassed at being called out like this but sort of proud at the same time. 

"Uh, hi, I'm Mark, I'm also fourteen," he introduced in his usual awkward and shy manner. Doyoung quickly noticed that even though he looked the same in appearance, his demeanor was slightly changed, sitting very close to Donghyuck instead of pushing him away. He was even wearing the t-shirt Donghyuck had tie dyed for him last year. 

"Hello, I'm Donghyuck, I'm thirteen. And I'd like to let you all know that Mark is no longer just the object of my physical, mental, and emotional desires....he is also my boyfriend." 

After a long pause, Yuta finally spoke. "How the did that happen?" 

"I'm with him," one of those familiar faces added. 

"You see," Donghyuck started proudly. "Mark asked me to kiss him at the end of last year's camp. We've been dating ever since." Mark shyly hid his face in his arms, but Doyoung could see him beaming proudly. "I swear, I'm more mature than last year." 

Donghyuck wasn't lying, at least physically. Donghyuck's voice, although still fairly high pitched for a guy, had deepened considerably. A bit of his baby fat had been shed, and he looked a lot older than he had last year. He was even a lot taller; where he'd come up to Mark's shoulder last year, now he was even probably at least a half an inch taller than him. 

"Well....congrats to you, I guess? And Mark, good luck," Johnny said. 

"I think you're the one who needs it," Mark responded, glancing quickly at Taeil, and Johnny rested his hands on his cheeks to hide his blushing cheeks. 

"Anyways..." one of the familiar faces interrupted. "I'm Jaemin, I'm thirteen, I'm going to be a freshman in high school next year." 

"I'm Jeno, and same," the next guy introduced. Doyoung smiled at the kids; they seemed quite sweet and cute. 

"I'm Renjun, I'm thirteen too." He was the one who made the sly comments about Donghyuck, and Doyoung approved of him already. 

"I'm Chenle, I'm twelve. I'm going into eighth grade" a very tiny looking boy with a very loud voice spoke. 

"And I'm Jisung, I'm eleven. I'm gonna be in sixth grade," the last of them spoke, very quiet already, although he was quite a bit taller than the boy named Chenle. 

"Is that all of us?" Johnny asked, and they all nodded back at him as Sehun approached their table. 

"Wow, there's a ton of you," he said and chuckled. 

"What are we doing today?" Taeyong asked. 

"I dunno about you guys, but what I'm doing today is my boyfriend's ." He waved goodbye at them as most of the kids stared at him in shock, watching him leave the dining hall entirely. 

"Isn't that our counselor?" Jungwoo quietly asked. 

"Yup," Taeil asked with a grimace. 

"He told us last year that he was only here to avoid his parents and his boyfriend's . Same is probably true this year," Taeyong explained as Ten wiggled in his lap. 

"Okay wait...." Kun interrupted. "Aren't the age groups divided? Isn't Sehun just the counselor for the thirteen to fifteens? And doesn't each age group have its own set of cabins?" 

"Yup," Taeil responded. 

"Then...why are we all here?" 

"Now that we're thirteen, we got bumped up," Jaemin explained, gesturing to himself, Donghyuck, Jeno, and Renjun. "But we couldn't just leave the rest of our squad behind." He pointed at Jisung and Chenle. 

"And even though we're sixteen, these are our best friends," Johnny said, pointing to himself, Taeil, Yuta, and Taeyong. "We don't wanna hang out with the others." 

"Then how are we supposed to all fit in the cabins?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Can't you guys just go where you're supposed to?" Kun asked. 

"No ing way," Donghyuck responded. "Chenle and Jisung stay with us." 

"And Taeyong and Johnny and Taeil and Yuta too," Ten added as Sicheng grabbed onto Yuta. 

"Doyoung?" Mark asked, and all heads turned to him. "You're the smart one, can't you figure this out?" 

Doyoung released an exaggerated sigh. Even though he was loath to do this, he couldn't imagine not having Johnny, Taeyong, Yuta, and Taeil in the cabins with them.

"Alright, fine," Doyoung responded. "Someone get me a piece of paper and a pen." 

Johnny passed him a napkin, and Kun pulled a pen out of his pocket. 

"So, we have three bunk beds per cabin, which means six beds per cabin, and two cabins...." Doyoung muttered to himself. Everyone was dead silent as Doyoung sketched it out and did the math; they were all anxious as to whether or not they could have the summer they'd dreamed about the past year. 

After what felt like half an hour (but was really only about two minutes), Doyoung looked up. 

"Will it work?" Jaehyun asked. 

"Yes," Doyoung said, and everyone cheered. "But only if all the couples share a bed and one person sleeps on the floor." 

Taeyong and Ten cheered way too loudly, Yuta and Sicheng smiled (they'd shared a bed last year), Mark and Donghyuck looked shell-shocked, and Doyoung and Jaehyun grinned at each other. 

"Did you really figure it out?" Jeno asked nervously. 

"You guys can look at my work," Doyoung said, passing the napkin to Jaehyun. "This doesn't have to be our exact arrangements, but basically like this." 

The napkin made its way around the circle, everyone staring at it and nodding in approval. When Mark and Donghyuck got it, they shared a look, and Donghyuck whispered something in Mark's ear. Mark seemed immediately soothed, and it had almost made its way back to Doyoung when it stopped. 

"Wait....Johnny and I aren't a couple," Taeil said. Everyone paused. 

"Well then be a couple, ," Ten responded. 

Taeyong chuckled. "Or you're sleeping on the floor too." 

Everyone laughed slowly, the nervousness of first meeting and endangerment of their good time fading away. Now, they could really appreciate the summer, and get everything started. 

"Should we go unpack and figure all this out?" Doyoung asked the group, standing up. 

"Hell yeah!" Yuta cheered. The boys all cheered, leaving the now empty dining hall and running off to their cabins to spend the best summer of their lives.