Eighteen

The Curse

She has skipped lunch, not wanting to make it awkward for them. So instead of the dining hall, she finds herself strolling through the gardens. They were so beautiful, all sort of different plants and flowers. There were even fountains and a giant maze of some exotic plants but she dares not go near it.

The place is really beautiful, she accepts that. Her palace isn't even half as big as theirs. Even the sky here is gorgeous, painted in blues and white and reds.

Her eyes catch sight of an owl making its way over the horizon and she hurries back inside, heart hammering in her chest. 

How did it get inside? The shield should've stopped it, right? Is it just for supernatural? Having no effect on the normal?

But that's impossible. VIXX aren't that careless. 

She runs past the guards at the entrance of the north wing. That's the fastest way to get into the castle. Another problem is that she doesn't have a room of her own, which would mean no privacy.

She might have to send the owl back, without even reading the message. Its not safe.

Running right into the Queen's room, she's thankful to find it empty. Quickly locking the door and opening the window, she whistles, frequency such that it's only audible to the beast of the sky.

A minute later, the owl is sitting on the open window sill.

"It seems like they are adamant on finding out about the source. The people they sent are intelligent, picking up even the smallest of details," it doesn't sound like a message from Jade. It seems this time Junhyuk has decided to Grace her with his thoughts. She can't help but smile a little, "I know you won't listen to me but I will still ask you to tell them the truth. We are allies now, don't anger them My lady, they are out of our league. We are already struggling as it is. Think about this again."

She smiles again because he is right, only Junhyuk would think with such clarity. But he's wrong here. VIXX are not their allies. It's just a deal where they have exchanged things they needed. And she wont tell her biggest secret to dealers.

"About the hunters, they haven't attacked but we spotted them lurking around which couldn't be good news. And the West wants to pull their hands from the Pearl trade."

Those snakes! Of course they want to back out, now that they know they can ask for more.

"I hope you are doing fine there. Yoonsan and Jinwoo misses you. And Jade's bawling his eyes out."

She can almost hear the smile in his words.

"Oh and it was Timo's idea. He knew about the shield so he kind of forced Paniel to adopt the owl thinking that it would at least scent him and the shield would allow it to pass. The man's an angel, I tell you."

Of course it was Timo's idea. He's their ing strategist.

"I have thought about it thoroughly Jun, and I still won't share a thing with them. Be careful with those people because nobody is an angel. Always be alert. Send Taehyun and Suengyoon to the West. If they still won't understand then I'll have to intervene. I miss you guys too.  Take care and stay safe."

With that she shoos away the bird, hoping it would make home safely.

 

 

 

"You've heard the rumors?" Hyungwon asks, sitting down on the sofa. The sun is too bright today and he hates it. 

"Yes," comes the reply as Taehyung arranged the last of the books on the shelf.

"It'll only get worse from here," he muses, taking in the various colored bottles on the table. Jungkook must be about to visit if there are so many of them.

"I know and there isn't much we can do either," the witch finally sits down on the bed, ear rings jingling and robe all over, "I just hope Leo hyung has some sense."

"You think....," Hyungwon starts, a little unsure. This isn't the sort of thing he should be discussing with Taehyung but he feels like the witch is the one who cares the most about the woman among all of them, "You think if I hadn't told them about the necklace, things would have been better for them?"

Taehyung stares at him for a moment and then opens his mouth but someone beats him to it, "No, it wouldn't. Stop beating yourself over this Won, it isn't your fault."

"Hyung," Wonho is making his way into the room with the youngest witch in tow.

"Shownu told me you'd come up with like that."

"I actually agree with him on this one," Tae finally speaks, gesturing for the new arrivals to take a seat, "Hakyeon hyung wouldn't have accepted her either ways, Leo hyung is, well, he's Leo hyung. The other three would have followed their eldest brother. The only difference it would've made woul have been with Hyuk."

"But at least she would have had some sort of support."

"Well she'll have to earn her support now," Wonho supplies, "Let's just hope Hongbin don't decide to go nasty on her, especially now that Queen Beta is scheduled to return tomorrow."

The other three nod their approval. It seems like their biggest concern would not be Hakyeon but Hongbin.

 

 

 

She tries talking her way out of the second night, the one she is to spend with Leo but it hasn't been effective because she finds herself in front of a similar wooden door she has knocked on yesterday. She has been forced into another gown, this one also full length and thankfully doesn't stick to her body like second skin. The neckline is a different story though, it plunges so deep, she's afraid it would touch her navel if she pulls at it a little.

Thankfully she has managed to steal a scarf like thing from the Queen's room without her noticing, which is wrapped around her neck.

Unlike yesterday she knows what to expect and hence doesn't even try knocking. Instead she goes to the same window and allows her brain to come up with the delutions of being home. That's the only thing that could help her stay sane.

The air is cool and she pulls the scarf closer, her body isn't at its best right now.

There's a sound of a click and then the door behind her is pulled open, "Come in," Leo is standing on the other side in a silk white shirt and pants.

She just looks at him, still by the window, "You sure?"

"Yes," comes the reply but she still doesn't move. He'll get in trouble with Hakyeon if he lets her in. While none of them has said anything when Leo came to take her back when they left her in the forest, the looks he received were enough to tell her that they didn't like him coming for her. Maybe he even got scolded.

"Leo you don't.....," She starts but he cuts her off.

"Just come in," turning around, he disappears into the room, leaving no room for argument.

Taking one last look at the night sky, she moves into the room, softly closing the door behind her.

The room is huge, painted pastel blue, the roof is sporting a fancy looking candellier, the curtains and tapestries are a rich gold, there's a bed in the centre but what catches her attention is the huge windows taking up almost a wall. 

"You can sleep here," Leo is already collecting some pillows and a blanket off the bed, "I'll take the duvet."

"But it's your room," she interupts, feeling bad about him having to give up his bed.

"And that's why you're taking the bed."

"Don't....," She looks at the bed and she's suddenly reminded of the battle they had, "Don't be so nice to me Lord Leo, your brothers will hate you for that." And she doesn't want to get her hopes high.

"That's my problem, not yours," he states, pulling back the curtains to allow the air to come in.

"I am your wife, it is my concern," she challenges, enjoying the cool air.

He doesn't answer for a while and she thinks she crossed a line so she opens to apologise but his voice cut her off.

"Sleep on the bed."

And that is the end of their conversation.

 

 

 

She wakes up as the light enters through the open window and directly onto her face, "Woowoo, close the curtains," she mutters turning onto her side, knowing her best friend would be up and about.

Strangely nothing happens, neither the curtains get drawn nor is her request followed by a sarcastic remark. Rolling further into the blanket and sinking her face deeper into the pillows, which smell different, good but different, she tries once again.

"Jinwoo! Close the ing curtains or I'll throw Mino's out of the kingdom for a week!"

"I am not closing the curtains, you can try throwing who so ever you want out of the kingdom," that voice isn't Jinwoo's. She bolts awake to find herself facing Lord Leo who seems ready to head out, "But I doubt Hakyeon will let you."

"Oh ," trying to get out of the spring roll of blankets she made, she ends up falling on her , "That hurts."

"Were you trying to build a nest with my bedding?" He sounds amused.

"Why would I make a nest!" She retailiates, peeling away the layers of blanket from her feet, "Am not pregnant!"

"Well it seem like that," he comments and move to look himself over in the mirror.

She stands by his bed, unsure of what to do.

"You can go if you want, get ready for breakfast," he suggests and she looks up to nod but he's suddenly in her face.

He's quite handsome, she observes. Up close, even more so. And the way he smell is simply delicious, like fenugreek, sharp yet sweet.

"What.....," She tries but the words die in as he reaches out pulling the sleeve of her gown down her shoulder. His fingers ghost over the exposed skin and she finds herself shudder.

His touch is light, leaving her want more. Her body leaning into his touch although her mind is screaming at her to jerk his hand away. The problem with being an Omega is, body always wins.

"Don't hurt Hyuk more than you already have," he whispers, eyes smoldering, fingers travelling to her clavicle.

"I don't intend on hurting anyone," she answers, voice low, body still at his command.

"Hmm," then he's leaning down, face finally settling in the crook of her neck. She stiffens at that because the gesture is so intimate, so loving. 

He rubs his nose on her jugular, behind her ear and she wants nothing more than to reach out and bury her fingers in his silver locks but doesn't, instead keeping her hands safely by her side.

"You smell delicious," he purrs making her breath hitch because he smells just as heavenly, "I wonder what would it be like."

The sentence feels incomplete as if he left something out on purpose. Something she wants to know, desperately.

"Why don't you just find out?" She suggests, having no idea what is it that he wonders about but willing to do everything to make him know.

"Yeah?" She feels him smile in her neck. He rubs on her skin one more time before there is a knock on the door, followed by it opening and someone moving in.

"I apologise my Lord," the lady shrieks, almost dropping the tray she has been carrying and looking at the floor.

"It's alright," he says, withdrawing himself and moving away after pulling the sleeve back to its place.

"I didn't realize, I am really sorry my Lord," the maid apologies again, visibly struggling to stand there and not bolt.

"As I said, it's alright. How would you have known that I won't be alone like every other day?" He seems to be at ease, which unsettles her a little. No matter how calm a person is, being found out in the position they were in would fluster anyone.

"You can put the tray on the table and tell Hakyeon that I'll join him in a minute."

"Yes, My Lord," putting the tray as requested, the maid throws her one last look before bowing and leaving the room.

"You can leave as well, unless you want to stay and continue building that nest."

"I....I'll take my leave," with that she runs away from his room, as gracefully as possible and forgetting the Queen's scarf in his room.