Fourteen

The Curse

"You knew about the necklace?" Hakyeon asks the witch sitting in his study room.

The younger peels his gaze away from the window, "I didn't," he confesses, "none of us sensed anything wrong with it."

"But Hyungwon....."

"Hyungwon is a tracker, my lord. His senses are unnaturally hightened. It isn't a surprise he found out it was charmed."

"Hmm..," Hakyeon looks at Leo but the other chooses to stay silent.

"The spell is nothing like I ever saw before,"  Taehyung explains, "otherwise at least Namjoon hyung would have noticed."

"But as far as I know there are no witches in the Northern Province. All they have is an assemblage of different pack of wolves," Hakyeon informs, brows drawn together. What exactly is that woman hiding from them?

"Maybe an outside source?" Leo speaks up and Ravi nods in agreement.

"She seem to go pretty well with Zico," Ken adds.

"They have family relations. And there is no witch in block b, not after......" Hakyeon let's it hang. He has gathered as much information as he could but it seems it wasn't enough, "I had Hyunsik gather information about her."

"Always prepared huh hyung," Hongbin is sitting by the window with Hyuk who hasn't spoken a word since the party.

"Ravi did you look into the matter I asked you to?" The eldest turns his attention to his brother.

"I did and your hunch was right. The hunters are looking for something in the North but their soldier were very hush hush about the whole thing. I couldn't gather much."

"What could be so important that the hunters keep coming back instead of just killing the entire province like they did with the others?"

That is the question that Hakyeon would like answered.

"Ravi who among us are the smooth talkers?" Hakyeon asks, his eyes on the map of the small kingdom.

"You already know hyung."

"Well then send I.M, Paniel, Jimin and Hope. Luckily they would be able to know what is it that those hunters want so bad?"

"Tae," the witch looks at the Lord, "can you charm her? Get her to spill the beans?" That should have been the very last resort but he wants to finish this as soon as possible. The girl is bad news and he wants nothing to do with her.

The farther she stays, the better.

"You know I can't," Taehyung answers, "that's against the code hyung. You don't hurt your own, you don't cheat your own"

"Well she has already broken the code, why should it matter if we do too?" Hongbin counters and the others seem to understand his hatred for the woman.

"Because she wasn't one of us when she manipulated Hyuk's feelings so the code didn't apply. Now she is," Taehyung clarifies.

"She'll never be one of us!" Hakyeon counters.

"She already is hyung," it feels like he is hitting his head on a wall but Taehyung knows nobody else would stand for the girl so he has to, "if you haven't noticed, she has been wearing your insignia for two days now."

"She still wears that necklace, doesn't that mean she is still using some sort of magic?" Ken questions.

"I don't think so," Taehyung answers.

"And why not? You're taking her side a lot Tae!" Hongbin accuses.

"Because if she was," Leo's voice interuppts, "then Hyuk would have been beside her, helping her not here planning against her."

That shuts everyone up.

 

 

'There have been no attacks since the wedding. We haven't even spotted the hunters lurking around. Maybe they got wind of the marriage and the soldiers are really scary princess. Also Timoteo says these people are probing into things more than they should. 
How are you Mel, are they treating you good?'

The owl sits on the window still, it's eyes glistering, looking up at her. It has already delivered the message it was supposed to and now it's her turn to send it back.

'They might have Jade but don't get lax. They'll come back. Tell Timoteo to keep an eye out, I don't necessarily trust VIXX's soldiers. And tell Mino and Taehyun to remain alert.
I am fine.' 

With that she shoos the bird away, intentionally ignoring the part where she was supposed to tell Jade if her husbands were treating her good.

It's been two days since the party and she hasn't seen any of them. Partly because she stays in her room most of the time and partly because they avoid her at all costs. Once she decided to go down and have dinner with them only for them to get up and leave the table. The maids looking at her as if her presence was an ill omen, maybe it was so she just quit going down. Instead telling the maids to bring her food to her room, they didn't seem too happy to do so either.

Walking back to her bed, she flops down and decides to take a bite, she was never the one to waste food.

After the third bite, she just gives up. Back home all of them sat down together for meals, who so ever was in the kingdom. The table would be full of talks and laughter, she's so used to that so much so she has barely eaten anything since coming here.

A knock on the door demands her attention and she walks to it, pulling it open only to come face to face with Taehyung.

"Yes?" She asks blinded by the beauty for a second.

"Hyung wanted me to tell you that we leave for home tomorrow morning, so be ready or he won't mind leaving you here," he delivers with a smile, his eyes flickering towards the necklace for a second.

She has half the mind to give him the middle finger and ask for it to be delivered to his hyung but then decides against it.

He seem to read her mind because suddenly he's laughing in her face, "Whatever," with that she shuts the door only to open it once again. He has just turned to go away.

"Have you eaten?" She asks instead and he shakes his head 'No' with another smile.

"Then come in."

 


Witches are evil, tree fae are too innocent for their own good and Vampires are your greatest enemy, that's what she has always been told, always taught so when she finds herself infront of the limestone castle, surrounded by witches, faes, vampires and wolves, she can't help but be a little anxious.

"Sorry to spoil your plan of leaving me here," she mutters feeling Hakyeon's eyes bore into her head.

"I am sure it's not spoiled. I don't think you'll be able to keep up with us," he replies smugly. 

"We'll see about that," she gives him a smirk in return, tightening the robe around herself and putting the hood.

 

 

She keeps up with them just fine. 

"She's fast," Ken muses, making other heads turn.

"Didn't expect her to be this fast," Wonho agrees. Although it is not possible for different factions  to be able to communicate in their heads but having certain witches in your circle does make a lot of things possible.

"She did kick Kihyun in the shins and managed to run away," Hyungwon reminds and the mentioned person gives him a sour face.

"It's because Tae told us to let her go," he defends.

"Umm I think that time she kicked you in the face," Changsub corrects and they all end up snikering, almost forgetting to look where they're putting their feet, which results in Hongbin stumbling and almost falling on his face.

But a hand is already reaching out and grabbing his arm, pulling him back. He looks back to see the woman, her hand still around his arm. He doesn't think twice as he jerks away her hand and push her away, making her almost loose her balance.

"Get your paws off me !" The tone he uses is harsh, as if he is disgusted by her touch.

Her hood falls off her head as she tries to remain on her feet and succeeds. The look on her face is of surprise, the others stand around them, too stunned to do anything.

"Well then I hope you fall face first into that bush of wolfsbane and end up with a nicely burnt and crisp face!" Then she has put the hood back on, covering half of her face and takes off, not bothering to wait for them.

It's then that the group looks down and watches the blue peeking from the unbloomed buds, the repulsive smell hanging around the bush.

"It's wolfsbane alright," Sungjae supplies, examining the plant.

"You owe her your face Kong," Minhyuk suggests, moving ahead and willing the plant to die. It does after few seconds.

Hongbin ignores the older and starts moving, "Let's keep going."

 


Honestly she hasn't expected loving words or smiles or even caring glances but she has expected at least some civil behavior. Not the look of disgust that Hongbin had given her. 

It wasn't like she was looking for ways to touch him, it had just been her reflexes. Maybe she should've let him fall into that ing bush.

"Let's camp here for the night," Hakyeon commands coming to a stop. They have been traveling for seven hours now and even gifted needs rest so as the sun dips down the horizon and stars take its place in the black sky, they decide to stop for the day.

She looks around to find herself in a small clearing. The canopy of the trees is tapering inwards making a sort of dome overhead, not that they need any sort of protection. She has heard that the Kingdom of the United was the safest among all the kingdoms in the world, that everybody lived with harmony here.

Or in the fear of VIXX and their 'friends.'

"BTS, secure the area, BToB get us some shelter, Monsta X light up a fire, we'll go get some food," once again Hakyeon commands and everybody sets to work leaving her to her devices.

She inspects the trees around the clearing to find one with a branch strong enough to support her weight. While she doesn't mind traveling through a forest, lying down on the ground is something she can't bring herself to do. 

So once she assures that the tree she chose is perfect, she climbs up and settles at a thick enough branch watching the others work.

The witches are drawing symbols around the area, vampires have already started a fire and as her eyelids become heavy, she watches the branches erupt from the ground and take form of small huts.

She finds them beautiful. 

Just as she senses the wolves come back, she closes her eyes and leans against the trunk of the tree. She's tired, and they still have to journey tomorrow. From what she knows their home or the summer court is still a day's traveling away.

Being an Omega has its limitations but she has been trained as a warrior and hence no matter how tired she feels, she will carry on.

The smell of roasting meat reminds her that she should probably eat something or tomorrow would be quite difficult. But she's too tired to go on a hunt right now.

Maybe tomorrow, she thinks and let sleep take over.